MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rover must be doing something right!

After years of the press downing MGR, the recent Driver Power survey was at last something to celebrate for the Midlands company.
The Rover 25/MGZR, finished ahead of the VW Polo, Citroen C3, Clio, Ka, 206, Corsa, Punto and Saxo. In short it beat most of its rivals.
Another notable acheivement was the MG ZS, finishing an astonishing 25th. Not bad for an 'ageing' car. Once again beating many of its rivals, mainly for being one of the best handling cars in its class. Finally the Rover 75 (best riding car) and MG ZT (2nd best sports car), finished well up the order.
So, I find myself asking, why is MG Rover in such a state? The cars are well styled and can be purchased at great prices. Fair enough, there getting on abit, but so is the Ford Ka, which is going on to 2008!
Many more cars use old underpinnings and engines, yet are not constantly slated by the press. We should be proud that we still have a volume car manufacturer, but the press seems to want to get rid of it altogether.
Lets hope the SAIC deal goes through to make MG Rover the force it should be.
Matthew Knight, Kettering, 20.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Excellent letter m8

The Rover 25 issue really flies in the face of everything the press criticise. That it beat most of it's rivals is truly a testament at how good the car actually is in it's own class.

·
Registered
570 Posts
mattie007 said:
Rover must be doing something right!

After years of the press downing MGR, the recent Driver Power survey was at last something to celebrate for the Midlands company.
The Rover 25/MGZR, finished ahead of the VW Polo, Citroen C3, Clio, Ka, 206, Corsa, Punto and Saxo. In short it beat most of its rivals.
Another notable acheivement was the MG ZS, finishing an astonishing 25th. Not bad for an 'ageing' car. Once again beating many of its rivals, mainly for being one of the best handling cars in its class. Finally the Rover 75 (best riding car) and MG ZT (2nd best sports car), finished well up the order.
So, I find myself asking, why is MG Rover in such a state? The cars are well styled and can be purchased at great prices. Fair enough, there getting on abit, but so is the Ford Ka, which is going on to 2008!
Many more cars use old underpinnings and engines, yet are not constantly slated by the press. We should be proud that we still have a volume car manufacturer, but the press seems to want to get rid of it altogether.
Lets hope the SAIC deal goes through to make MG Rover the force it should be.
Matthew Knight, Kettering, 20.
Let's face it, the way the press are going at the moment, they are going to edit your letter to read as follows:

"After years of ___ downing MGR, the recent Driver Power survey was ___ astonishing. ___ its rivals ___ finished well up the order.

I find myself asking, why is MG Rover in such a state? The cars are well ___ getting on abit, use ___ old underpinnings and engines, ___ are constantly slated. We should ___ get rid of it altogether.
Mathew Knigt, Kottering, 70.

(please do not be offended - I'm taking the micky out of the papers, not your positive post)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, im not affended and your probably right! Its a good piece of editing, do you work for AE!! Lol

Last time I wrote to AE they edited my letter about the Rover-Proton link up to say I was going to buy one when it was released!
What I actually said was the car needs to be a lot better to wear a Rover badge!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The Driver Power Survey is now a complete sham.

As it can be completed online now it is seriously open to abuse. It was well highlighted on this forum when the option was there to vote and it's likely that many people did and due to the narrow minded vision then all comments would have been positive hugely inflating the MGR vote. There's no limit to how many times the same person can contribute if they use false personal details, it isn't verified.

The Honda S2000 came No 1 and it's well known that this was due to the members from the sk2i forum/club.

This week the S2000 was in a group test in Auto Express against 3 competitors - it came LAST.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It also gives the Honda S2000 publicity then a few weeks later make it look silly by voting it last.

MGR products get a good review and in general their vehicles are not rated high enough by AE to even make group tests which will make people ask WHY?

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Yes, why indeed, when there are plenty of surveys putting the Rovers and MG's above much bigger selling rivals.

If you believe the 25 gets higher ratings than the Corsa because of enthusiasts, then ask youself these searching questions:

Why would there be so many 25 enthusiasts and so few Corsa ones - considering the Corsa outsells the 25 many times over? Same goes for ZS and it's rivals.

Why would the enthusiasts go much more for the ZS and 25 than the others?

Why would they be so interested in driver surveys unless they owned said vehicles?

Why would they bother being 25 enthusiasts unless the casrs were that good?

Just remember the people most likely to trash an MGR car are those who don't have experience of one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts