MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
My cars have passed two MOTs with 70% tints on front door glass. However, I have never seen an MOT tester bother to check them for that.

There is a legal maximum on the darkness of the tint, but I can't remember how much.
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,037 Posts
wouldnt bother with window tints, they did a poll asking women wot they liked in a car and didnt like. Top of the list of hates was tinting, cos they cant see the driver. Think about it, if ur smiling at them, they will never know!
 

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
Joined
·
887 Posts
Yeah its now a law that you cant tint any window forward of the b pillar although if you stick to a light smoke like i did you wont get any agro and mine has just gone through my mot, i personally think it looks silly if you tint just the rears and leave the fronts just do dark at the back and light at the front.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,110 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
wouldnt bother with window tints, they did a poll asking women wot they liked in a car and didnt like. Top of the list of hates was tinting, cos they cant see the driver. Think about it, if ur smiling at them, they will never know!
since when do women know what looks good or bad in a car? :)
 

·
Registered
mg_tf
Joined
·
4,672 Posts
sjc59 said:
Yeah its now a law that you cant tint any window forward of the b pillar although if you stick to a light smoke like i did you wont get any agro and mine has just gone through my mot, i personally think it looks silly if you tint just the rears and leave the fronts just do dark at the back and light at the front.
That Law is just a myth... the real law can be found on the VOSA website. It states that the windscreen must allow 75% of light through, the front windows (between A and B pillars) must allow 70% of light through and there is no specified amount for the windows behind the B pillar.

If when tested by either the police or a VOSA agent, your windows are found to be violating these parameters then you have 15days to have the tints removed. The key word being tested. The police have no right to make you remove your tints just because they reckon they are too dark. The law is there for them to follow too.
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Ultimate Racer said:
That Law is just a myth... the real law can be found on the VOSA website. It states that the windscreen must allow 75% of light through, the front windows (between A and B pillars) must allow 70% of light through and there is no specified amount for the windows behind the B pillar.

If when tested by either the police or a VOSA agent, your windows are found to be violating these parameters then you have 15days to have the tints removed. The key word being tested. The police have no right to make you remove your tints just because they reckon they are too dark. The law is there for them to follow too.
Not what I heard - I was told the same as sjc59 and had to sign a disclaimer saying that I was aware of the new law when I had my tints done...

It came into effect 1st Jan 2004.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,107 Posts
you can tint the front windows but has to be a light smoke, my mate got done for it when he was coming back home, got a fixed £30 fine and had to lighten the front, he has the same tint darkness as mine too, so i'm a bit concerned on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
yes i got light smoke front and mot fine they dont care not part of check list and to exspencive for light machine in all mot stations.

plod told me i had to remove mine so i asked him what limits were he didnt know so radioed the tint man and he said 30% tint he asked what mine was and funny enough i said 30% with that i drove off,

did have a T5 copper question tints and he said 20% so i showed him VOSA printout sayiny 30% he went back to hois car to read his rule book, i hate cops who think they know everything

women love tints when they in the car,

Plus rules dont apply to cars of a certain age like seatbelts and road tax.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top