MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

has anyone had theirs repaired by a professional upholsterer? i bought a spare pair of tan leather mgf seats knowing drivers bolster had hole and cracked etc.

first quote i just got £300 and they cant guarantee matching the tan colour.

can anyone recommend someone? also what were the results like? impressed? not impressed etc?

i seen them on whealer dealers repairing them, and you can buy the kits yourself.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
At that price cheaper to go to Newton Commercial for a replacement which you can fit yourself - colour match is key so you will need to give them a patch of the existing leather. Infact I fitted a complete leather kit for both seats from Newton for not that much more. You will need to buy hog rings and a hog ring tool (not that expensive and not that difficult to use).

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
hi

has anyone had theirs repaired by a professional upholsterer? i bought a spare pair of tan leather mgf seats knowing drivers bolster had hole and cracked etc.

first quote i just got £300 and they cant guarantee matching the tan colour.

can anyone recommend someone? also what were the results like? impressed? not impressed etc?

i seen them on whealer dealers repairing them, and you can buy the kits yourself.
Ive not done this-have my seat repaired-as I know its too time consuming and too expensive. Possibly, there was a market back in the day for replacement seat covers, but modern man as years go by, is less interested in either getting his hands dirty or using a needle and palm.
There are a few vids on Youtube of how to and I'm sure, if forced, its a job I or anyone else could do-but as you point out-colour match and tone can never be guaranteed. Upholstering requires skill and common-sense. But its not rocket-science.
My MIL was a machinist and often did repairs for us over the years, reupholstered our boat for once and did same to so many chairs over the years we have been married (in her 90's, she's probably not touched a sewing machine for a while though)
To recover and re-work a seat will take days stripping the frame, cutting the foam, templating and sewing the leather. £300 per seat doesnt seem unreasonable, given the task. But hey, just lob the old ones away and fit new...

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts
Removing and reinstalling seat covers is easy, as well as repairing foam, just did two seats of MGF seats over the Christmas holiday.

·
Registered
04 MGTF Sunstorm 135. VW Arteon RLine 2.0 TSi. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SE
59 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are seats i have in my car at moment which are perfect, i bought a pair of all tan not 2 tone ones, they are darker tan , never seen them before, looked on ebay for spares but nothing. this colour tan doesnt even match the bolster tan colour on my 2 tone ones its more red/brown.

Brown Vehicle Car seat cover Automotive design Tints and shades

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
936 Posts

·
Registered
04 MGTF Sunstorm 135. VW Arteon RLine 2.0 TSi. Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 SE
59 Posts
Could it be that they’ve already been tinted / recoloured?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had my drivers seat repaired last year by Trimline Systems of Milton Keynes 01908 261004/ 07836 326748 email [email protected]. I don't recall the exact price but it was less than £100. Ronnie is a one man band and he collected and delivered back to my home in Northampton.

Two "before the repair" pictures:

Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Grey Automotive exterior
Glasses Shoe Eyewear Grey Goggles
Vehicle Automotive tire Seat belt Tints and shades Vehicle door

And fully repaired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts