MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive searched the topics for this but still not come up trumps :(

Got to my 2000 R25 this morning and there was hell of a wet patch just above my head and under the visor on the drivers side! Ive already cleaned out the drain pipes in the sunroof area and cleared all debris... Got some silicone on and its still leaking.. Never been this bad tho!

Ive noticed that the rubber around the sunroof has raised a little but it wont go back down, has any one been able to sort this without having to replace the rubber?

Any help is appreciated :D

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone any ideas on this??? Id like to get it sorted before i climb into the car and sit in a puddle one day!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
The raised bits on the seal are almost certainly rust on the matl frame underneath. You need to take the glass panel off and (carefully) strip the seal off. You can then tackle the rusted metal edge to get the rust off. After that you can then bed the seal on with silicon goo for that leak free finsh!

Keith

·
Registered
mg_zr
698 Posts
Ive noticed that the rubber around the sunroof has raised a little but it wont go back down, has any one been able to sort this without having to replace the rubber?

Any help is appreciated :D
I have this exact problem on one side of the seal. It's slightly raised, and consequently when it slides back, rubs on the underside of the roof. Is the glass easily taken off the unit and seal replaced?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Has the windscreen been replaced relatively recently. My ZR's windscreen seal was leaking, and it caused wet patches to appear in the corners where the sun visor mounts are. I spent hours sealing various bits around the sunroof (drain channels etc.) and pouring water around the sunroof to see if it dripped inside.

When I gave up on the sunroof option I started on the windscreen, then cracked it accidentally with a screwdriver, and the guy who replaced it said there were gaps in the seal.

The new screen has been on for a couple of months now, and the car is bone dry.

BTW the whole area above the headlining was dripping wet while I had the leak, including the sunroof motor and electrics.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Has the windscreen been replaced relatively recently? My ZR's windscreen seal was leaking, and it caused wet patches to appear in the corners where the sun visor mounts are. I spent hours sealing various bits around the sunroof (drain channels etc.) and pouring water around the sunroof to see if it dripped inside.

When I gave up on the sunroof option I started on the windscreen, then cracked it accidentally with a screwdriver, and the guy who replaced it said there were gaps in the seal.

The new screen has been on for a couple of months now, and the car is bone dry.

BTW the whole area above the headlining was dripping wet while I had the leak, including the sunroof motor and electrics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have exactly the same problem ,
everytime it rains i get dripped on whilst drivin along, doesnt make the car smell too good either...
theres always a wet patch just undernieth the drivers side sun visor im pretty sure its coming in from the windscreen i can hear a whilstling comeing from there so im guessin thats where it is

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Best way is to remove the seal and clean the rust away. The seal will be full of rust when you take it off, so ensure you get in the recesses with a screwdriver or something and chase it all out. Wire brushing the sunroof itself is usually good enough to remove the rust.

As per the link above that Dave has posted as said the leak usually comes in at the corners. If you open you front window, wait until it is dark then shine a torch around the edges of the seal while looking above the sunroof you will see the gaps that need to be closed.
The problem is that when the corners leak the rain misses the drip catch tray and runs straight into the car instead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts