MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an old chestnut I'm afraid, but my door leaks in heavy rain at the cheater. I was thinking of using some clear sealant inside, but how does the 'rubber tube' method work? Exactly where do I need to push the tube down? Any piccies gratefully received. Happy new year.

·
Registered
mg_tf
739 Posts
yip worked for me but my car only leaked in heavy downpours at an angle. i used black pipe and you can't see a thing!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did mine today. got it from B&Q for 88p for 2M of 3mm tube. If you gently peel back the rubber 'flap' you will find a hole at the top. a little bit of vaseline and it went in a treat and i just cut it off when it was all in. Pads out the rubber seal nicely.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,445 Posts
After the amount of water I got in the car last night I think I will be popping over to B&Q tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Did mine today. got it from B&Q for 88p for 2M of 3mm tube. If you gently peel back the rubber 'flap' you will find a hole at the top. a little bit of vaseline and it went in a treat and i just cut it off when it was all in. Pads out the rubber seal nicely.
Thanks for that :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I have this issue with my MGF, but I'm a little confused as to where to insert the tubing. Does it go inside the flattened seal or do you place it into the flap? I don't see how placing it into the flap will fix it, and if you put the tubing inside the seal will it then be too hard? Finally, you've all mentioned that you purchased the tubing from B&Q. Could you tell me in what area of the store I will find it? (plumbing, electrical etc..) I called in yesterday and was told the smallest tubing they do is 9mm.

·
Registered
mgf
670 Posts
What you need to keep in mind though, is if the window is out of alignment then the tubing trick wont work - dieters site has some great info on how to sort this. I thought my seals weren't working - aligned the windows & changed the stops and all was well.

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,996 Posts
Hi guys, I have this issue with my MGF, but I'm a little confused as to where to insert the tubing. Does it go inside the flattened seal or do you place it into the flap? I don't see how placing it into the flap will fix it, and if you put the tubing inside the seal will it then be too hard? Finally, you've all mentioned that you purchased the tubing from B&Q. Could you tell me in what area of the store I will find it? (plumbing, electrical etc..) I called in yesterday and was told the smallest tubing they do is 9mm.
I know htis is no help, but I couldnt find any narrower tubing either. I have used some quite thick tube, but it doesnt really do any good. I just put mine into the flap of the window seal, just a short length at the top...

mikef

1 - 13 of 13 Posts