MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

after the heavy rain, and when I wash my rover 214 (mk2, N reg) with a hose, water gets in on both sides of my boot, and is soaked up by the foam/ sponge backing of the boot carpet piece.
I have read somewhere to watch out for water leaks in the boot, does anybody know where I should be sealing? Are the rear clusters a possibility, or perhaps the vents built into the rear light units at the side?-
has anybody else had this prob?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
You guessed correctly, the rear clusters often leak.

simple to resolve, just remove them and apply a good blob of silicon sealer to the sealing area then refit.

Thats probably the most common area for water in the boot on MK2's.

not heard of the vent allowing water to leak in but i may be corrected if others post.

Garry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mate,

ill check mine tonight.
Its a pain in the ****, i had a r100 before and that liked having water under the carpets etc!

ill seal the clusters up and see how it goes

thanks

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
NWROVER214SEI said:
thanks mate,

ill check mine tonight.
Its a pain in the ****, i had a r100 before and that liked having water under the carpets etc!

ill seal the clusters up and see how it goes

thanks
Mine was leaking from these plastic vents behind the side trims in my 400s boot....

See photos below;

I might have gone overboard with the sealant :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
The vents are the culprits.

Unfortunately the only way to effect an effective repair is to remove the bumper.
the vents are held in by ****ty pop rivets.
drill these out and remove the vents and make sure everything is degreased and bone dry.
then replace the vents with M4 screws and locking nuts and clear sealer.

they shouldnt leak again!

Ive done this on a 220 Gti and coupe with no probs

1 - 5 of 5 Posts