MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched 'Le Mans' (again) wot a top film,but which film gets your vote as the best car film of all.
ps this isnt ment to be a pole just incase you thought it was :=p:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
snoopholly said:
Just watched 'Le Mans' (again) wot a top film,but which film gets your vote as the best car film of all.
2 fast 2 furious, for its accurate representation of the way manual gearing works.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
snoopholly said:
Mmm,

Bullitt

The Italian Job (1969)

The Blues Brothers

All the Smokie & The Bandit / Cannonball Run films

Mr & Mrs Smith has a fantastic sequence where a whole pile of BMWs' are reduced to component parts and The Dukes Of Hazzard had some crazy Dodge Charger action again.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Vanishing Point is quite a good car film, as is Bullitt, but I'd have to say The [original and best] Italian Job. Not just the Minis, but the Astons and E-Types too. Not to mention the chase scenes over the rooftops, weir and test-track above Fiat... and the overall feelgood factor... aaaah I can't just pick a few bits, it's an awesome film.

·
Registered
mg_zs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any one seen the French film 'Taxi',thats got some mad car chases in with a loopy Peugote in it, 406 i think,also the car chase in Ronin is bloody good.
Why is it that European film studios or films with a strong European feel to them ie Directors,locations etc seem to make better car chases than American ones.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Surprised no one has mentioned C’était un Rendezvous (http://www.spiritlevelfilm.com/)
Watch it and :eek:mg:

As for fiction:
Vanishing Point, Mad Max & Bullitt, in that order.

The new Dukes of Hazzard also has some excellent driving and real stunts - way better than Starsky & Hutch.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
snoopholly said:
As opposed to wot an Automatwatick?:lol:
Its like they are in second, and the guy is catching up, so he jams it in 3rd and it goes faster, like as if the gearstick was the throttle, its total garbage.
Spoilers on the rear....front wheel drive?

·
Registered
mg_zt
494 Posts
What about:

The Driver (1975) and French Connection (1971) and Duel (1971). The Driver is what the computer game of the same name is based on. Duel was Spielberg's first film.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Samuel said:
2 fast 2 furious, for its accurate representation of the way manual gearing works.
I second that, thanks to this movie and its prequel, now I absolutely cannot live without NOS, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, you can do everything with it, I use it to power my shaver, chill my champagne, marinate my chicken, help with my constipation.

"I NEED NOS!!!!"

Being HK-born, I strongly recommend Initial D the movie, for its amazing drifting stunts around mountain roads in Japan, fearuting the Toyota Sprinter AE86, RX7 and GT-R and the evil Evo. Leaves FnF and 2F2F for dead, it's spectacular for the races and cinematography alone. Nevermind the acting. Available in any good Asian video store.

And Mad Max 1 for its rawness, and the fact that I still see these cars on the road every day. It's not the most violent or the best car movie per se, but it just carries a brutality to it that just hits ya. One day when I supercharge my car, I want it hooked up to a clutch so I could switch it on and off too.

Anyone mentioned Grand Prix? Just fast forward the boring bits and go right to the races. Great sound effects for a 1960s film. Especially the opening sequence, just gives me goosebumps. From the same director came Ronin, which just ROCKS as a car chase movie of all time. RIP Frankenheimer.

The Driver is good but not best cos it features too many boring Yank Tanks and the crashes look too "staged" - it's actually made in 1978, not '75 though. But the dude going psycho with the Merc in the car park is worth a watch.

And Duel, because this movie's just nuts.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Apart from the Minis, I'd say that the Italian Job is a pretty crummy film and massively over-rated. If you want to see a film about cars ,and not just driving, have a look at Tucker:The Man and his Dream.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Grand Prix

I always liked the 1966 film "Grand Prix". Perhaps the plot was a bit corny, but it's fun watching the real grand prix drivers in walk-on parts.

Graham Hill (in a very wooden voice): "I wonder what the track will be like today" or something like that.

Jo Bonnier nods wisely. Phil Hill scratches his ear.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Went to the movies to see M:I 3 tonight and saw the trailer for another FnF installment, this one is called Tokyo Drift. Total CGI crap and implausible stunts, you know the drill, cars fly up 50 storeys high after getting t-boned, drift battles taking place in the middle of Tokyo in rush hour traffic, drug deals, Yakuza and Harajuku girls everywhere in Japan (probably a soundstage). Add a big bunch of unknown, intimidating looking Asian American actors who've never set foot in Asia, let alone able to speak the languages, with the chisel-jawed hero fighting hard to maintain the same tough, "I'm so focused in what I do" expression in every scene, and there you have another Hollywood blockbuster that give the public a peek into the "underground street-racing scene"

Drifting is fun to watch and fun to do (in a controlled environment, obviously ;)) if you know what you're doing. But watching mainstream film makers masquarading crap and mislead your average joe just ticks me off - not saying I'm IN the scene, but seeing people actually believe some of that ludicrous crap Hollywood feeds them as what really goes on is beyond a joke.

Le Mans is the polar opposite. No wonder they lost money on it :(

FnF will just reaffirm the fact that Initial D is a much better car movie. At least they used real drifting champions to film them using real mountain roads where the real drift battles are held (granted, that movie is based on a manga series, which is based on the real drifting scene and uses a real life Japanese racer as consultant)

·
Registered
984 Posts
snoopholly said:
Any one seen the French film 'Taxi',thats got some mad car chases in with a loopy Peugote in it, 406 i think,also the car chase in Ronin is bloody good.
Why is it that European film studios or films with a strong European feel to them ie Directors,locations etc seem to make better car chases than American ones.
Simple

American roads: wide, grid like, well planned, well paved, straight

Vanishing Point is just about a car going down a straight, they didn't know how to end it until someone hit upon the idea of putting a bulldozer in the middle of the road at the 90th minute
Other domestic american attempts include It's a Mad mad mad world and Speedway :) The Driver is an exception but the roads aren't particularly challenging. Gone in 60 seconds (the original) also have boring roads.

European roads: narrow, haphazardly laid out thanks to ancient town planning, old fashioned road surfaces (cobble stones, pave etc which make for great soundtrack), mountaneous, full of curves

Hell, even the short Police vs Mini scene in Paris in the Bourne Identity is more exciting than Smokey and the Bandit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts