MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi people i was wondering if any of you could give me any info on this modification iv seen it mentioned a couple of times. i drive a 1.4 mg zr will it b a better idea for me to have one of these fitted than a regular one. thanks blunty

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
The general concensus is the LR gasket is the fix all answer to the MGR original sub standard gasket. However if yours has not gone then why fix it. reading all the reports I would go for the LR gasket over any others.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
I am sick of hearing that this Land Rover gasket is the fix. It's not been used long enough to tell. I should laugh if this gasket does not work and it is just as bad as the orginal one. I am not against it but I just dont think it's the cure for everything.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree, no such thing as a quick fix. I am using the new LR gasket in a rebuild, for curiousity more than anything else. I would only go as far to say it helps based on what I have read in here. Feeling good about something isnt going to fix the problem though.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah as u can see from above i was askin for input into this as im pretty new to the mg scene just wondered why it was that ppl are putting em on.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
First of all, your head gasket may never fail... it might actually outlive the life of your car. So many people look at these engines and go... O ... its one of those... its only a matter of time...Absolute piff..

Gaskets don't just fail, they fail for a reason or more to the point a fault. As long as you keep everything else working on the engine, I doubt you will ever have a need to change it. So don't go messing with it now, unless it does go.

As for the LR gasket being better than others. I have used this gasket now on 4 hg changes, One had eaten a new composite gaskets in two months due to pitting of the head, the chap didn't have enough cash to get it skimmed and asked me to just do my best with what I had, in the end I managed to get him a LR gasket off ebay for a fiver and put that on... its been over 4 months and around 8,000 miles since the change... To be honest I am surprised it lasted but the use of the shim really seemed to of staved off further failure. Although I have said when he can afford will do it for a £100 + parts and skim if it goes again.

Point being, a composite gasket wouldn't even of lasted as long as this. So sure, doubt it..but it has my backing!

Sean

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I am sick of hearing that this Land Rover gasket is the fix. It's not been used long enough to tell. I should laugh if this gasket does not work and it is just as bad as the orginal one. I am not against it but I just dont think it's the cure for everything.
True it hasn't had the test of time in the real world, but I'm pretty sure it's been put through the mill in the tests.

Of course there is always a chance it could fail, how I just don't know at the moment, because I can't see what would actually fail and if it did it wouldn't be the spectacular failure of the silicon job.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
True it hasn't had the test of time in the real world, but I'm pretty sure it's been put through the mill in the tests.

Of course there is always a chance it could fail, how I just don't know at the moment, because I can't see what would actually fail and if it did it wouldn't be the spectacular failure of the silicon job.
I've had the LR gasket for 5000 miles now.... no trouble so far. And to be honest, it's had a right bloody thrashing.............

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I agree with ashy - I cant really see what can actually fail on the LR gasket. In my oppinion - if your engine fitted with a LR gasket where to run out of coolant and/or overheat then I actually think that a part of the engine would fail before the head gasket would fail, for example it would get so hot that the liners would sink...but the head gasket would remain intact.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I agree with ashy - I cant really see what can actually fail on the LR gasket. In my oppinion - if your engine fitted with a LR gasket where to run out of coolant and/or overheat then I actually think that a part of the engine would fail before the head gasket would fail, for example it would get so hot that the liners would sink...but the head gasket would remain intact.
Damn, you've just come up with a negative for the LR gasket....gasket fine, but engine trashed!
At least the poxy silicon gasket gave you a warning before the engine melted.:err:

·
Registered
7,647 Posts
Can we stop with the errr...it might not be that good after all..I got Ebays finest LR Gasket fitter Jason at my place in the morning!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Well the LR gasket has already proved itself for me on my own car. Like a silly numpty I left the cap off the coolant tank after a top up (yes we've all done it) for 3 days:twak2: , emptied half the contents of the water through the opening and didn't realise until I randomly decided to put the heaters on for a check. No hot air!

Upon investigation, no cap, no coolant in tank and been like that for days. Refilled and everything was fine. As far as I'm concerned the silicon gasket would most surely have failed.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
Damn, you've just come up with a negative for the LR gasket....gasket fine, but engine trashed!
At least the poxy silicon gasket gave you a warning before the engine melted.:err:
Yeah lol. Engine would have to get hot though to do that damage wouldn't it? I mean, you would probably know about it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts