MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to drop the downpipe and need to disconnect the lambda sensor and I'm having difficulty following the wire, from a photo (thanks CJJ) it appears the connector is at the end of the head. To access this do I need to remove the engine cover or is it possible to do it from the boot access, if so what do I remove here, airbox?. The cable is also attached to the engine near the downpipe is this a clip? or do I have to unbolt it (it's pretty dark down there0, is this the only clip?
I intend when I locate the connector on the head to attach a string to it so when I disconnect it and pull it through I can pull it back again following the same route. Will I have problems doing this ie will it get caught on anything or is this bit simple.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I'm about to drop the downpipe and need to disconnect the lambda sensor and I'm having difficulty following the wire, from a photo (thanks CJJ) it appears the connector is at the end of the head. To access this do I need to remove the engine cover or is it possible to do it from the boot access, if so what do I remove here, airbox?. The cable is also attached to the engine near the downpipe is this a clip? or do I have to unbolt it (it's pretty dark down there0, is this the only clip?
I intend when I locate the connector on the head to attach a string to it so when I disconnect it and pull it through I can pull it back again following the same route. Will I have problems doing this ie will it get caught on anything or is this bit simple.
I took the engine cover off- it’s a no brainier as you will be struggling in the dark. I tied a length of string to the Lambda as the cable length isn’t generous. Yes, it joins its connector up by the head, next to another connector- from memory.
like any job- it helps immensely if you have the right tools- a lambda socket.

·
Registered
'10 TF135
390 Posts
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Definitely an engine cover off job. Attached are pics of the connector.
That clip to the engine block you mentioned holds the sensor lead away from the exhaust, half way down the lead. This'll need to be taken off imo. (You can do it by 'feel' from above or easier from below, I think it's a 13/14mm...) One 'hooky' end end squashes into the lead to hold it, the other bolts to the block
No need really for a piece of string, it's easy to thread back through again.
A lambda socket is necessary while it's in-situ but if you're taking it off a 21mm open-ended spanner works well.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
YIPEE I did it although the drive now resembles a car boot sale, all I have left to do is get the rubber hanger mount off and as this involved getting out from under the car to get a bloody big screwdriver or pry bar I've called it a day at 67 I can't face crawling under again today.
Those bloody nuts on the manifold/downpipe were apita, the extensions I have were too long and the knuckle was too short. Been looking on line and once my wallet is over the current unexpected shock I may get a selection box of extensions, also found I can get them for my new impact gun which has been lying there grinning at me all day.
Thanks a lot for the help and advice and I hope as my knowledge of this car improves I may be able to do the same.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Ive never been able to embrace the impact gun, except for wheel nuts and re-assembling chasis on my Mini. I had a TF160 and replaced the entire exhaust and it took me a solid tiring day. Every bold was either so heat-deformed that it needed grinding out. those that didnt, rounded or snapped. I had to drill out and fit s/s nuts, bolts and washers. The manifold to flexi was thankfully easy. I just used an extension- about a foot long and my trusty 12-point sockets. It would have been manifold off time if it hadnt worked. I just cut the exhaust with a grinder and it was away from the car. it is a git of a job due to access, even though I was up on axle-stands at rear. that was 6 years ago.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only had the chance to use the gun a couple of times so far and in my opinion pulling a trigger is much preferable to hanging off a breaker bar but that's probably my age. I would never use it for assembly as it may be me trying to undo it in the future, thanks for reminding me about wheel nuts I have box of new ones (somewhere) and may as well change the rears whilst it's up. I don't really know why but I hate the OE ones with the SS sleeve, is there a reason for them or was it just a style thing.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I've only had the chance to use the gun a couple of times so far and in my opinion pulling a trigger is much preferable to hanging off a breaker bar but that's probably my age. I would never use it for assembly as it may be me trying to undo it in the future, thanks for reminding me about wheel nuts I have box of new ones (somewhere) and may as well change the rears whilst it's up. I don't really know why but I hate the OE ones with the SS sleeve, is there a reason for them or was it just a style thing.
I see the youngsters on Youtube wielding air-guns and ratchets, electric drivers at gay-abandon on massive 10mm nuts, within an inch of its life and yes, it saves time, yes, its sometime on someone else's' car and No, the customer doesn't get a rebate or reduction- its just laziness! .
Age, I recall reading your earlier- we are the same age! Much prefer a decent breaker-bar to undo. rather than a gun to round off!.
Exhaust's are not fun- that's why there's such a turnover of young kids in the exhaust fitting-centers. They earn their crust.

·
Registered
MGF's x 5 MGTF's x 6, Rover 620Ti & Cortina Mk3
1,949 Posts
Just use 6 point impact driver sockets and not the "standard" 12 point sockets on older, possibly rusty nuts and bolts, doesn't matter then if your using a breaker bar or an air/electric powered impact gun as the 6 point socket will not slip :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts