MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Engine light has come on and a friend plugged it in and told me the warning code indicates the lambda sensor. I thought there would be 2 pre and post cat but he claims there is only one. I'm not to sure about this so can anyone clarify if there is 2 or 1? If there are 3 is there a way of identifying which one is bad,

It's an MG TF 135 2004.

Thanks Ben

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,655 Posts
There are indeed two on the TF one pre and one post cat, unless the second one has been removed due to the installation of a "sports" cat or the cat has been removed altogether. I understand some remaps effectively shut off the second sensor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just a standard exhaust system so I guess it has 2. I did think it had to but my mate made me doubt myself.

Is there anyway to establish which one has gone or is it a case of having to change both?

·
Registered
mg_tf
39 Posts
i had the same issue, 2004 steppy when you ran the test with the obd2 it should have shown up then, either pre cat or post cat, mine was pre cat, bought a new one £38 bosch i think and fitted it myself, it had been bodged somewhat previously and done the easy way were they had cut the wires and added a new lamda sensor using a plastic block, this then rested on the manifold burning through the wires, the way i did it was to take the engine cover off and feed it through from the top, it came off easy and all in all took 30 mins or so. ps it ran so much better afterwards,thxs tony

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a TF 135 2004 too, and the engine light came on a few weeks ago. My Scangauge doubles up as a code reader, and light re setter, and it gave the error code as P 0136 which pointed to a fault in the post cat sensor.

I got a new one from MG Mania, fitted it and all is well again.
The cat was completely ruined inside, bits rattling about etc, so I changed it too.

I expect the faulty cat will not have helped the sensors longevity.

I had just bought the car, with recent MOT, and I am surprised it could get an MOT with a non functioning cat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He just sent me a picture of the code reading and it says "p1185 O2 sensor heater 1 front" it's also picked up "coolant sensor circuit short circuit to ground p0118" not sure if that's related to my coolant level light that comes on as and when it pleases.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
mg_tf
39 Posts
well it points to your pre cat sensor the po118 code could relate to poor fuel economy ,replace the sensor and go from there, as the lamda sensor regulates the fuel mix could be related so it could sort it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts