MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
MG ZR 160 (Mk1), MG ZS 180 (Mk2)
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You might be able to rent the belt locking kit from someone on here Kv6 cam locking tool

If not, you could buy a new one off Ebay and sell it on here for the purchase price less what you saved on not renting one.
List it when you are finished and leave the advert open then the tool only moves on to the next user, this halves the risk
of transit damage.

There is probably more to it than that but the idea of a tool-pool for expensive but infrequent use tools has mileage.

I'm looking for a code reader for a KV6 ZS-180, that is what brought me back from the wilderness.
I need to find out what has upset the CEL and get it MOT'd, then maybe its Cam Belt time
Well I am from Luxembourg which makes renting a bot complicated but there is credit to your argument!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
You can buy aftermarket kits relatively cheap , this is £46 with free postage
indeed it seems it is not that rare and expensive I thought it would be. Thanks a million for the link!

· Registered
Starlight Silver MG TF 135
205 Posts
If you want advice on rebuilding the KV6 (or any K series engine), I recommend a book by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins , called "ROVER K-SERIES ENGINE MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND MODIFICATION"

There is a complete chapter (21 pages) on KV6 rebuild, and another on mods.

It offers lots of advice going way beyond the workshop manual, and more focussed on the DIY mechanic.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you want advice on rebuilding the KV6 (or any K series engine), I recommend a book by Iain Ayre and Rob Hawkins , called "ROVER K-SERIES ENGINE MAINTENANCE, REPAIR AND MODIFICATION"

There is a complete chapter (21 pages) on KV6 rebuild, and another on mods.

It offers lots of advice going way beyond the workshop manual, and more focussed on the DIY mechanic.
Way ahead of you! hehe
I bought it a couple of weeks ago as I have a ZR needing some love standing in the shed as well. I agree it is an amazing book, it even gives pure amateurs like me the feeling that I can do it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts