MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 on one of my wheels last week due to a puncture, and (suposedly) getting three more next week to match them up. However, after reading this I'm suddenly very worried:

Originally Posted by ThumpJunkie
Erm, see the thread above your last post buddy... that's the tyres I'm on about :irked: :indiff: THEY ARE A DEATHTRAP I'm afraid, in the week before I had them replaced I about pranged my car THREE times due to skidding when normally I would have stopped dead. When they were taken off there was absolutely nothing left on them. Quite frankly I was lucky to be alive with the wearing on some parts of them. Sell them and get some decent tyres, it ain't worth your car or your life just to save a little bit of money on tyres.
On a plus, I just sold the two rear ones on ebay! :bgrin:

(http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=15399&page=5&pp=20)

Anyone got any other good/bad experiences of these tyres? If so please share them!!! Otherwise I'm looking at getting four new, more expensive, tyres (not easy atm).

Cheers!

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,164 Posts
I don't trust Korea tyres .!some Korean car agent in S'pore even change their OEM tyres to Japanese ones before giving the keys to the new owner.!

·
Registered
21,131 Posts
Yup, the ZS appears especially sensitive to specific tyre choices. I run Michelin on mine with no problems, but have heard even of Pirelli and Avon equipped ZS's becoming a serious handful in the wet and in slippery conditions.

As to budget tyres, personally I wouldn't even consider them. There are 4 tiny pieces of rubber that keep a car fized to the road... and in the interests of self preservation, I want my 4 pieces of rubber to be the very finest pieces of rubber known to man :)

John

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
got Khumo's on the front of my car, they're not brilliant tyres, but they're wear slowly and seem to grip in the wet well :)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
One brand to stay clear of is Millenium (an Avon brand).

The dealer had fitted a pair to the front, (leaving the oem Conti Euro contacts on the rear).
They maybe dirt cheap, but they are totally unsuited to the 45, especially with anything even marginally better on another axle.

The front washed out on anything other than bone dry roads even at 'normal' speeds.

After taking off my Gislaved winter tyres, I though I'd try them on the rear instead.
The car now feels like a rear wheel drive car driven by a heavy footed driver on a wet road! The back slides on even slightly damp roads, especially when cornering properly (under power).

Admittedly, the breakaway is not sudden, and it is progressive and controllable, but any emergency other than in a dead straight line and smooth surface, would probably result in the car swapping ends.

On the other hand it is quite entertaining on familar roads!

I will either go back to the Barum Bravuris which I had on the previous 45 and which suit the car very well, last well, have excellent wet grip, are quiet and are comfortable. (though nothing special on dry roads)

Or I may try Vredestein Sportrac 2 or Avon ZV3 - both of these get good reviews on Tyretest.com.

·
Registered
rover_600
1,563 Posts
i got nakang on mine all round and i am very impressed with them in both wet and dry i would even go as far to say they are better then the toyo proxes i had on a while ago and they cost me £94 for 2 fitted

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
ive got khumo's all round and i dont have any problems with them.

they are by no means the best out there but they do the job.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
I bought Kumho's based on independent tests where they outperformed P-Zero's, so I bought a set, and I've no complaints on my Vitesse Sport Coupe, The dealer who sold them to me said they outsell everything and they've never had any comebacks, very good tyres.
Kev

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kevin Davis said:
I bought Kumho's based on independent tests where they outperformed P-Zero's, so I bought a set, and I've no complaints on my Vitesse Sport Coupe, The dealer who sold them to me said they outsell everything and they've never had any comebacks, very good tyres.
Kev
Well that's certainly made me feel a bit better. Next time round i'd probably get the Michelin's, but things are a little tight this month :shake: . Good to hear there people out there haven't had any probs with theirs - maybe Thumpjunkie just had a dodgy set? He claimed only 5000miles off his before they were illegal!!!

What sort of mileage is anyone with Kumho's getting?

Cheers...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi mate, I had these tyres on a set of alloys I purchased for my 206 a few years ago, didnt give me any problems and they had done 16k before I sold the car and there was plenty of life left in them.

KevMGzs180 said:
Well that's certainly made me feel a bit better. Next time round i'd probably get the Michelin's, but things are a little tight this month :shake: . Good to hear there people out there haven't had any probs with theirs - maybe Thumpjunkie just had a dodgy set? He claimed only 5000miles off his before they were illegal!!!

What sort of mileage is anyone with Kumho's getting?

Cheers...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive got a set of Kleber diynaxter dr (or something like that) fitted to mine, there a good set of tires.

They are only about £35 each for 15/50/195

Kleber are a division of michellin.
they are good tires ive had mine now for about 5 - 6 months now and they grip so well in the dry, in the wet there good too and if you push it too far you can feel what point there going to slide before they do rather than takeing you by supprise.

·
Registered
classic_rover
777 Posts
KevMGzs180 said:
It all depends on your driving style...
Kev.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts