MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rover 420 SDi,

Under light braking, there is a knocking coming from the front right, which disappears under heavier braking or when no brakes are applied. There is no steering wheel vibration or knocking under load, acceleration or cornering.

Any ideas?

I'm just about to go and have a look so any thoughts much appreciated

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Knocking for brakes isnt good you need to look it over now sqealing isnt as bad.Check the steering linkages, make sure the (carrier the bracket bit) is bolted up properly and the caliper slide pins arne'nt loose.I did a mates 406 last week from a garage they had sheared the carrier bolt off and told no one!!

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
Is it a knocking or vibrating, if its vibrating can you feel it through the pedal?
Definitely knocking, have just jacked it up and looked around, there is nothing obvious loose or broken. Its strange that there is no noise whatsover unless light brake pressure is applied. Its confusing me :(

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Turns out it was just sticking a caliper. strip down, clean and lube in the right places and its fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem

Im having the same problem.

It only happens once the brakes have warmed up. I put new discs and pads on and it went away for a day then it came back once they beeded in properly.

I am going to pull the calipers off and replace the piston seals. But was wondering if you were told how a sticking caliper can cause the brakes to make a knocking on light pressure but no noise when not braking and when braking hard?

Ps mine is on the drivers side which side was yours and did you find it got worse and worse the longer you drove?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts