MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have upgraded my Car to a 2003 (53) 75, Now to tell you a little of the history. I bought it from my Dad who has had it from new, There has always been this knocking from the passenger side rear. It has been back to Rover with no joy. Any ideas.

On another point about 2 month ago it was seviced and since then the climate control turns the air con on for 10 seconds every 40 seconds, Rover have now said this is normal but it never used to so it ( Even when temp on the CC is set to warm).

Any ideas again.

·
Registered
mg_zt
111 Posts
morning silly question what sort of knocking loud or slightly annoying. I have zt and have narrowed down slightly annoying knocking to the back seat somewhere near where it clips to parcel shelf?

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
3,479 Posts
Is the steering wheel out of alignment or has been and adjusted? Has the rear been knocked against any curbs?

AC; Do you mean by it coming on for 10 secs and going off for 40secs the noise of the compressor and rad fan turning on and off? The air con system will also run on any temp setting. I ususally have mine on Econ mode as it uses less fuel and gives an edge on performance - not loads tho :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No it has not been knocked it has knocked since brand new. Exhaust is tight, so i know it is not this. Could it be a suspension problem? Bushes ETC.

The fan (Hovercraft sound) Comes on and off regardless of temp setting. ECON mode it does not come on at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine used to do a similar thing, local Rover dealer fixed it quickly and cheaply something to do with felt suspension kit, can't remember what the invoice said exactly but it did the trick.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
rider said:
Mine used to do a similar thing, local Rover dealer fixed it quickly and cheaply something to do with felt suspension kit, can't remember what the invoice said exactly but it did the trick.
Rider

That's been discussed on here before

Here's a link:

felt washers

hth

Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a nock from the nearside rear on my 2003 75 tourer. Happened very occasionally and only on large bumps. It dissapeared after I had the tracking done on all four wheels. I can only think the three bolts which locate the suspension assembly to the car ( these are the ones which are undone to allow rear tracking - 3 per side ) were not fully tightened/torqued up.
May be worth trying as they are quite easy to reach - can be done with the car on the ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought i would give you an update. I have found and cured the knock, Despite Rovers best efforts.

The top mounting was the problem, replaced it and now no noise. The rubber inside the housing was totally shot. New mounting cost £22 not exactly expensive.

If anyone else has a bad knock from the rear then check this mounting.

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Thanks for the update P-E - well done and thank you for taking the time to reply.

The air con sounds as though it's working as it should do..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts