MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

noticed today that when my car is cold i can hear a knocking noise from the eninge but only up to 1500 revs.

it goes away when the engine is warm

and i also noticed that if i rev the engine when its cold up to 2000 revs and back down again a few times oil comes pouring out of the headgasget! and i mean alot of oil too!

doesnt leak half as much when its warm,

im about to change my headgasget but i think its weird that i havnt been using any water...

any way, what is this knocking noise? could it be the bottom end? the engine sounds perfect when warm and i cant see any blue smoke coming out of the exhaust when hot/cold

thanks
john

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
The headgasket thing is fairly common and should be sorted by using a klinger gasket or doing the copper pipe mod, or perhaps both.

If the cold engine noise is more tapping rather than knocking then it could just be a dirty tappet. when you are doing the headgasket give them all a good clean out and see if that helps. If not then you might need to replace one/some. If it is more of a low knocking noise that gets worse under load, then it could be the big end bearings.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im pretty sure it aint a tappet

but i been told if it was bottom end bearings that they wouldnt get any quieter with increaseing engine temp

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Thats right they'd get worse if anything as the oil gets thinner.

T16's often have noisy tappets when cold so that is a possibility. Also the early ones suffered from sticking valves due to carbon build up on them, particularly from lots of cold stop start journies. The later models have carbon break valves so these should be better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts