MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive snapped the key blade on my fob, ive just bought a new uncut unprogrammed key my question is, can i go to a key cutter and get him to cut the new key and then replace the newly cut blade into my fob?
thx

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
Try asking at one of the key cutting places, the problem is, can the blade be removed and replaced without wrecking the fob.

·
Registered
mg_tf
2,364 Posts
your not having alot of luck lately martin ,I have read a thread on here about buying blanks on e-bay .you should find it if you do a search
bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry if it's not much help as haven't got a Zt.... yet, assume the fob comes apart for battery replacement.Does it look like the blade will seperate from the fob??. On my Cougar when the fobs apart you can take the blade out with a sort of horse shoe plastic section.Sorry if it's not much help.

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
If you can get the blade out then Timpsons can cut them but of course they don't do the electronics so you'd need to be able to use the original fob assembly.

hth

Mike

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi
ive still got the original fob and it still works fine, got a blamk key so if worst comes to worst untill i can sort it out i will have to use one to use the two fobs:(

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a quick scan on eBay and numerous mg/rover fobs for sale stating that it would need a new blade.So looks like it can be replaced but it would i expect be a special blade.Don't know if you convert a standard key.One advert says "easy to change with a small hammer and a centre punch ":bigeyes:

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
The problem is some of the the e-bay sellers also say 'just needs re-programming' - 75/ZT keys are factory set and cannot be reprogrammed.

If you go down the two key method, remember that the immobiliser chip has to be read by the coil round the ignition lock and has to be very close to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
if its any help, the blade definitely does come out of the fob, the blade has a pastic collar around the top and its this that is stuck to the fob. I would give yours a few minutes wiggling and see if it will come undone.

Mine used to slide in and out regularly and in the end I glues it back in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts