MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my Kenwood KRC 394 today to replace it with later model KDC W3537 with Bluetooth everything is fine except steering control wont work, I could find no obvious wire to connect to new unit as there was not one fitted to the old, although the controls worked fine on that.
Behind unit I found stray red/grn wire also a very fine blk wire no other obvious strays
Please help!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Eventually found small blue IR located as advised, under the brow above head unit:confused2 lead on rear of head unit is not required.
All in now and working great, Bluetooth is fab, now looks like speakers will be next!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Stux99,

I have been looking at the kenwood 3537 stereo and Bluetooth Kit. Would you recommend. Before I saw this I was going to go for one of the parrot systems but I think this is a better move.

I currently have the standard symphony stereo in my ZT. Im I right in thinking that my autochanger will still work (for some reason I thought the standard autochanger works with kenwood and alpine after market units).

Also I am looking to purchase the stereo and bluetooth adapter from EBAY for about £115. From your experience, does this seem reasonable.

Cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Im guessing the 3537 does not have caller display. Doesnt really bother me to be honest, just thought it was worth asking the questions.

Is the sound quality very good.

Cheers

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
have yet to download my phone book to Head Unit, but I think it willl support phone book entry (caller) display. Depends on your phone being compatible, most are.
Sound quality is fine for me, although I think the main weakness is the speakers now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just started downloading phonebook to kenwood! At the moment one at a time, cant seem to block download, may just be my phone (Nokia N73) But once in there, brill! Complete control from headset, dont even have to take phone out of my pocket

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi stux99
Can you give a bit more info on the lead for stalk controls. I have put a KVT-729DVD in my 52 ZT and have been sold a PC99-X39 adaptor. Totally lost cant get it to work.

cheers

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
Some ZTs and later 75's use a different system for connecting the steering wheel controls, although they all work in the same way. Some ZT's have an Infra Red LED for it, some ZT's and 75's use a seperate connector for it.

You will need to move the cables from the existing system to the power ISO connector on the adapter lead you have, you will also need a Kenwood lead (from the adapter lead box to the head unit)

If it is the Infra Red LED system, you need to trace the LED lead back to the box fixed behind the head unit, the black cable feeding the box needs connecting to pin 2 of the power ISO connector of the adapter lead, the Blue/Purple cable to pin3.

If it is the seperate connector, Blue/Orange to pin 2 and Blue/Purple to pin3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help but I'm still not getting anywhere. I cannot find any infra red control box. When I tried my Kwood kdc-m7024 the steering volume controls worked. Trying this new Kwood I cant get it to work via the conversion kit. I think the car loom colours are purple/yellow & red/white into the ISO block.

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
The steering wheel cable colours are Blue/Orange and Blue/Purple and connect to either pins 2 & 3 in the grey ISO connector or they are on their own in a green connector, if you are using the PC99-X39 adaptor you need to put them into the grey ISO connector, Blue/Orange to pin 2, Blue/Purple to pin 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Raykay,

Yes I agree thats what should be in the loom but is he colours I mentioned. Anyway its pins 2 &3 on the ISO. The socket to the PC99-X39 I will need to put to the ISO socket.Any ideas which pin to which. The socket is 20way with only 2 (non-numbered) connections White & Pink.

·
Registered
mgb
1,452 Posts
The car loom should have an 8 way brown ISO plug with the eight speaker cables and an eight way grey ISO with the power cables, (you may only have five if the steering controls are in their own plug, the other one is for the phone mute). There is not a 20 way connector in the car loom unless someone has butchered the wiring. Except for the Black earth cable, all the cables are 2 colour - main colour and tracer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IR Stalk Controls

Hi there,
I really hope someone can help me out here.
I have an MG ZT-T with factory fitted kenwood stereo and Infra Red steering wheel stalk controls. I want to replace the head unit for a new kenwood, w. bluetooth kit.

I want to be able to use the stalk controls with the new stereo. I'm not worried about the CD changer.

I thought that if I purchased a Kenwood with IR capability, the stalk controls would automatically work with no requirement to hard wire the stalk to the unit?

Reading between the lines on this forum it sounds like the factory fitted IR controls will not operate a new Kenwood system using IR signal unless some rewiring is done.

Can someone please clarify?

Many thanks,
Nick.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It should work "off the bat" as all Kenwoods use the same standard set of IR "commands". Certainly that is what I found in my experience. Added to which, I believe they only produce one "hand held" remote thats common for all units.

As for the CD Changer, this will continue to work too - a standardised (to Kenwood) interface exsits, for units post '99 IIRC.

The kenwood BT I/F could possibly work with the h/u already fitted, and has a pass through connector for the CD Changer (as they share the same socket). A very effective unit, as I had one of these in my former ZT.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should have no probs, I fitted head unit and separate BT unit, all works. Just had to slightly adjust sensor in "brow" so it would talk to head unit, otherwise OK.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
I fitted the bluetooth kit a few weeks ago replacing the head unit too. Cracking bit of kit, certainly beats wearing those ear peices which can get annoying or if you forget them!
And get to keep the auto changer working too :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts