MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybady have one of these head units (KDC-M6024 ) fitted in a ZTT ??

i was wondering if they are compatible with the existing cd changer and steering paddle controls,

Is this the best kenwood mp3 head unit or is the MP6090R the better choice ??
I just want to plug in and have everything working.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can't help with that exact model but 12 mths ago i bought a kenwood kdc-w8027 which works no problems with the steering wheel controls and the original kenwood disc changer .Depending on which side the infra red receiver on the new unit is sited u may have to change the sendor position over on the eye brow above the head unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I've got that exact model in my ZT. I bought the car as an ex demonstrator and the standard stereo had been removed by the dealer, presumably to sweeten someone elses deal, and this had been fitted in it's place.

When I test drove the car the CD changer was missing but I insisted on having it refitted as it's a + and should have one as standard. I got a Kenwood KDC-C469 but I don't know if this is a standard fit changer or not.

However, it has never worked with the steering paddle controls and I was told by the garage that as it was an upgrade stereo it couldn't be done, I could however opt to change the whole unit for the standard fit radio caasette and CD changer. I decided to keep the stereo and lose the controls. (MP3 or steering controls)

However since then I have found this
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=166
I don't know if they work as I haven't fitted one but they do show the KDC 6024 is compatable with ZT controls.

One other thing I have since done is to buy an auxillary lead CA-C2AX which connects to the input on the back of the head unit and terminates in a stereo jack plug. I have lost the use of my CD changer by doing this as you only get one input, but I can now listen to my MP3 player through my stereo.

I can't comment on the other unit you mention, the MP6090R but I did a product search for it and it shows as an obsolete model no longer in production.

If you need anymore details on what is and isn't available for Kenwood stereos then I can recommend this site
http://www.justkenwood.co.uk
Do your research on what to buy on here and then get it from eBay for a more sensible price.

Cheers
Iain

·
Registered
616 Posts
As mentioned above, the position of the IR sender in the eyebrow is very critical. Try removing the sender from the eyebrow temporarily and hold it in front of the unit to see if that fixes it. When I changed Kenwoods I had to not only move the sender from one side to the other, but also file the eyebrow underside to move the sender around 3mm further out to get clear line of sight to the pickup. It worked perfectly after the mod, but prior to that would not work at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheers ZTTMAN, that fix works treat.

Sure enough the IR sensor worked when removed and left dangling proving the garage was wrong telling me it couldn't be done.

By carefully filing away at the eyebrow it eventually works when fitted but I did have to remove more than I thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts