MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Unfortunately our cherished 2005 MG tf has just been written off , entirely the other drivers fault. We have the choice of keeping it or the insurance company taking it. The damage is to the passenger side wing but the paint is metallic. Not sure wether to keep it and sell as cat N needs repair, to keep it and get it repaired or let the insurance company take it 馃 any thoughts? It was in excellent condition. Just passed mot. Top
spec exhaust fitted. Usual factory fitted head gasket refurb etc.

Registered
Hi everyone. Unfortunately our cherished 2005 MG tf has just been written off , entirely the other drivers fault. We have the choice of keeping it or the insurance company taking it. The damage is to the passenger side wing but the paint is metallic. Not sure wether to keep it and sell as cat N needs repair, to keep it and get it repaired or let the insurance company take it 馃 any thoughts? It was in excellent condition. Just passed mot. Top View attachment 136714 spec exhaust fitted. Usual factory fitted head gasket refurb etc. View attachment 136711 View attachment 136712
Hi, I would be inclined to get it repaired as it doesn't look too bad. What's it like under the bonnet? Fit a new wing then take it to a good body shop, should be able to do an exact paint match these days. Regards.

In the Garage
MG TF
I agree it doesn鈥檛 look too bad, I guess for me it would come down to costs and how much the insurance company are asking and wanting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I would be inclined to get it repaired as it doesn't look too bad. What's it like under the bonnet? Fit a new wing then take it to a good body shop, should be able to do an exact paint match these days. Regards.
Thanks for reply. Will look into it

Registered
'10 TF135
Good decision, I feel. Too nice to write-off.

In my recent experience Insurance Companies seldom take the v-f-m options, or make the reasonable supervision that their customers would take, and leave themselves (and us) totally open to predation.

(In the past a local Ins repair group has offered me 2 quotes:- 1 private for you or 1 if the Ins Co is paying...)

If only they'd support their customer's choice of local repair - instead of steamrollering expensive repairs (and or write-offs) - then perhaps we older-car owners might be much more trusting of them.

In any case we, the customer, end up subsidising those expensive 'let's pay up, underline it and move on as quickly as possible' decisions...and what subsequently happens to our pride and joy? :rolleyes:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree it doesn鈥檛 look too bad, I guess for me it would come down to costs and how much the insurance company are asking and wanting.
Ok that鈥檚 reassuring thank you. For the sake of a couple of hundred scrap money it seems a shame to have it taken away 馃槥. It鈥檚 still drivable as the police let me drive it home as the drivers wing mirror wasn鈥檛 affected. But obviously not been able to drive it since.

Registered
Looking at the pictures, no brainer. Keep it. Regarding the paint match, they can get a very good paint match. Clearly the wing, once repaired will require a total respray. If there is any paint damage on adjacent panels, it is amazing what a good paint sprayer can do regarding blending....

Registered
Lovely colour. That looks a very easy fix for a bodyshop, totally do-able if you intend to keep her then a Cat N won't matter either and it will not cost much to fix. You'll be quids in!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking at the pictures, no brainer. Keep it. Regarding the paint match, they can get a very good paint match. Clearly the wing, once repaired will require a total respray. If there is any paint damage on adjacent panels, it is amazing what a good paint sprayer can do regarding blending....
Ok thanks for that. Will shop around for a reasonably priced sprayer - near Southampton any recommendations out there?

Registered
There is no need to get anything sprayed.... Just source a new wing, door and mirror in the same paint code and bolt it all on.

Job done in a morning.

Good luck.

Reactions: Mandie

Registered
Ok thanks for that. Will shop around for a reasonably priced sprayer - near Southampton any recommendations out there?
Not from here (Switzerland) although I lived in Bath once upon a time and used to drive down past Southampton to Chichester once a week for many years - a great drive if you know the road (the infamous A46).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lovely colour. That looks a very easy fix for a bodyshop, totally do-able if you intend to keep her then a Cat N won't matter either and it will not cost much to fix. You'll be quids in!
Thank you. Yes it鈥檚 beautiful in the sunlight. Ok think might be 鈥榮teering in that direction鈥 then 馃憤
There is no need to get anything sprayed.... Just source a new wing, door and mirror in the same paint code and bolt it all on.

Job done in a morning.

Good luck.
wow it鈥檚 getting better as the day goes on! 馃槉thank you

Registered
Once you now your three digit paint code (easily to determine from a multitude of places) start searching places like Ebay and Facebook marketplace for 'MGF/TF breaking xxx' (the x's are your paint code).

Hope that helps.

Premium Member
Cat N doesn't tend to deter would-be buyers- Not if you declare it and photograph it. 2 Years ago, some c*** reversed into my R1 that I've owned for 20 years. To say mortified- had he not been a builder/roofer type with the expected entourage in tow- we would have come to blows and I would have killed him! Long story short- CAT N . I bought it back and over the next 6 months, repaired it- the longest item being the tank which Yamaha wanted over 1k for on long lead-time and no decals. I can see your car looks nice, except the damage obviously- so if you want to keep the car and enjoy, then if its a good one mechanically- just do as other have said above. If someone wants a car or bike- they will pay .

Registered
tis just a scratch....My picasso I bought 4 years ago has worse damage than that down the side of it, not bothered repair it as the repair would have cost more than another one with no damage...I assume the previous owner before the one I bought it off had taken it down the side of a wall but never bothered to go through insurance :)

Premium Member
the most shocking thing Mandie, is coming to terms with whats happened. You got a few ideas now- move on and dont let it drag you down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once you now your three digit paint code (easily to determine from a multitude of places) start searching places like Ebay and Facebook marketplace for 'MGF/TF breaking xxx' (the x's are your paint code).

Hope that helps.
Thank you
Looks an easy repair providing no real damage to sub frame area. Try Sandydown Bodyworks Car Repairs near Andover Hampshire between Winchester and Stockbridge for body work havent used them for some time but used to be very good. May be worth sourcing your own wing and supply ready to fit.
thank you that鈥檚 not too far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts