MG-Rover.org Forums banner
41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Fortunately after taking it apart and putting it back together a couple more times I've got it working now. I think the selector collars were just a bit stiff from sitting for so long and having no oil on them, I ended up knocking them into and out of gear lightly with a hammer to free them up and that seems to have done the trick although 5th is still a little stiff but should hopefully be good once it's all oiled up and in regular use. I just need to find my skeleton gun to put the sealant in and get it back together for real now. I also put the exhaust manifold on with the new studs and nuts and have managed to get hold of some gear linkages for a good price. Unfortunately the courier lost my starter motor so the replacement is coming either tomorrow or thursday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Well that's annoying, I went to seal up the gearbox and the sealant squirted out of the wrong end of the tube. I assume there was still some dry stuff in the end although I thought I'd got it all out, either way I'm going to have to get some more tomorrow. At least my starter motor and gear linkages have turned up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Good news! The gearbox is all sealed up and working as it should. I also finally got my mum to clear all her stuff out of the car as she'd been using it for the past few months although one of the rear shocks is dying so that's less than ideal. Never mind it just has to carry an engine and assorted drivetrain components across the country to Wrexham so I can actually get it all fitted in. Hopefully I'll be able to get the engine in the boot tomorrow although it's looking like it'll be Wednesday by the time I move.

1 ready to go gearbox (still got to get some metal driveshaft seals as the ones that came with the rebuild kit were rubber)

Also I changed the brakes on my dad's mk5 Golf R32 and the discs are massive, certainly compared to the one's off my mum's freelander (345mm vented vs 262mm solid for reference)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
So I'm off back to Wrexham tomorrow to get started on fitting the turbo engine and the car's all packed up and ready to go. It's getting trailered across by my mum as one of the rear shocks is dying, which definitely has nothing to do with it lugging various engines around for the last year and a half, and I'm driving over in my Fiat. This does mean that once again I have a twin engined ZR although this time it's also got a full set of drivetrain components and a VVC front crossmember in the boot too.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Made it back to sheep country safely and started work on final preparations. I started with what I thought would be a fairly simple job of removing the old gear linkage UJ from the end of the selector shaft and so far have just made a bit of a mess. The roll pin wasn't coming out in the conventional manner despite much hammering so I resorted to trying to drill it out but once again that proved fruitless as after about 5 minutes of near constant drilling I'd barely made an indent. Out came the grinder then and I've cut all but the end piece off and started to cut that bit off but it's still not having it. I'll probably have another go at it tomorrow but not sure if there's an easier way.

The bits that have come off so far.

The remains on the shaft.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I had a battle removing the roll pin on mine, after a good soak with wd I had a punch the perfect size and eventually got it moving with a club hammer. I ended up replacing the roll pin with a nut and Bolt to make life easier next time round...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
So more grinding and I've finally got the old linkage off in many little pieces. Unfortunately I couldn't get the roll pin out and I still wasn't able to drill it out so I've had to grind it flat against the shaft and I'll stick a bolt through it when I put the new linkage on. Fortunately the shaft wasn't damaged in any way :run!:. Should be alright though as it's not too bad. I also managed to work the clutch arm loose although it's not perfect. I was hoping to take it all the way out and grease it properly but I couldn't get the fork to budge so I could only lift the arm up by about 10mm if that to squirt some wd40 in. It moves pretty freely though so I'll just have to remember to relubricate it every so often when it's in the car.

It didn't really survive very well.

Selector shaft with ground down roll pin.

New clutch release bearing fitted.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I give mine a squirt up with some silicone spray every couple of months, seems to last longer than wd, when my clutch needs changing I intend to fit the mod type. I did wonder about coating it in copper greece but I'm not dropping the box out just to try lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Yeah I was looking at getting one of the modded clutch arms but a) I've basically got no money left and still have a load of important stuff like ECU and exhaust to sort and b) the old arm proved to be fairly reluctant to come out but I'll definitely be looking into it as and when I can afford/need one. Anyway I managed after a bit of faffing to get a gearbox mount out of one of the scrapped diesels as well as a thermostat. As expected the mount bolted straight up to my box nice and easy.

I also started planning how I'm going to plumb the coolant system as obviously the standard setup wasn't made to accomodate a turbo so I decided I might as well go a bit fancy and relocate the thermostat to the outlet side too. I also found there was no clear diagrams of the standard ZR setup online so I knocked this together from what I could see in the dark:

I then spent a fair while trying to figure out a way to bypass the old thermostat while still getting cooling to things that needed it and keeping the turbo in as close to standard ZT conditions as I could so this is what I've come up with:

I'm going to need a lot of T's! I'm hoping I can retain most of the standard piping and just cut and splice into them where needed but I guess I'll see how that goes when I get to it. I'm going to start taking bits out of the engine bay tomorrow so I don't have to faff around as much when I come to take the engine out as I've only got a hoist for a day and I'll need to transfer some bits from the old engine to the new one before I can put it in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Well that was a somewhat productive day. I drained all the fluids and disconnected all the hoses and pipes I could find that might get in the way during the engine change and then set about trying to remove the driveshafts which had been an easy job on my other ZR which is mechanically the same so it should have been just as easy on this. Was it ever, both sides have the CV shaft stuck in the hub and after probably about an hour of hammering all I've ended up with are some knackered wheel stud threads from miss hits so it's looking like I'll need 2 new hubs to add to the list of things to spend my lack of money on. I should still be able to change the engine regardless fortunately as I'll just separate the inner CV joints and leave the shafts hanging. I also disconnected both steady bars so I'll just have the main engine and gearbox mounts to take off when I come to take the engine out. I also found that the bolts holding the ECU to the battery box have no heads at all so I'm going to have to cut them off just so I can disconnct the ECU. Now I've just got the gear linkage on the car to take off which was mega stuck on on my other ZR so hopefully it'll slide right off on this one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Well I got the ECU by cutting through the battery box and then, as expected, the gear linkage wouldn't come off so I just cut through that as well seeing as they're being replaced too. I tried to get the exhaust disconnected but the bolts are just too rusted so I'll be cutting through that as well. I also transferred the power steering pump, sump steady bar brakcet and alternator bracket to the new engine although the alternator is still on as I couldn't get the bottom bolt out due to the chassis rail being in the way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I cut through the exhaust, disconnected a few more bits of wiring that I'd missed and cracked the engine mount bolts so it's now as ready as it can be for the engine to come out but then I had to put all the suspension back together so I could move it to the other car park as, for some reason, management were complaining about people doing engine changes in the main one. It also looks like I won't be able to change the engine over until Saturday as I can't get access to the hoist until then so that's great. In other news I've got a fuel pressure reg on the way and have booked in for my ECU to be mapped on the 10th.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Got the new metal driveshaft seals and fuel rail adapter fitted, the clip on the fuel rail was a right pig to get back on, and then headed back to the scrappy to get a couple of "new" hubs. Fortunately there was a fairly nice condition 25 that I was able to get both from so now I just need to change them over when I come to fit the new driveshafts. The fuel reg had also arrived when I got back so I'll be able to plumb that in when the engine goes in, with any luck, by the end of tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Good news! Mostly at least, the turbo engine's in the engine bay now although it's only sat on the driver's side mount and an axle stand under the gearbox as it turns out the diesel and petrol mounts aren't the same so the hole is about 15mm off where it needs to be. I can at least start connecting pipes and wiring back up while I source a new mount as well as a connector for the speedo drive/a compatible speedo drive. I managed to get the reverse sensor wired to the ZR loom using a couple of spade connectors so hopefully that'll all work once it's powered up again. Other than that, all the ancillaries and loom transferred over as well as the rear coolant pipe and a few of the sensors that were damaged on the turbo engine. I also got the old hubs off but the ABS sensors have rounded bolts so not sure how I'm going to get those out. Anyway I didn't get any pics of the engine in as it was dark and we were all dead but I got a few along the way.

It turns out this is actually the optimal angle for your engine to operate at :=p:

So much room for activities :grin:

And the obligatory standing in engine bay pic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Got the new hubs on yesterday so I could move it out of the safety cordon that had been put round it since I'd been away a few days. That did mean, since I've still not got my hands on a petrol mount, I had to tie the gearbox to the chassis mount with a rachet strap for maximum safety. My charge cooler also turned up yesterday so I can pipe that in once the new mount's in which is looking like it'll be Tuesday at the earliest as I'm at a race this weekend and I'm taking the ECU to be mapped on Monday.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
It needs to be mapped as the standard ZR map can't deal with boost so it'll just lean out and melt pistons as soon as it comes on boost and I can't run the ZT turbo ECU because it doesn't work with the rest of the ZR stuff. Also it looks like I'm going to be busy tomorrow as I currently have no front brakes on my Seicento so that'll need doing before I leave to go across to Kmaps at 12. I think I ran out of pad about half way to Anglesey for the weekend and so drove the entire way back to Wrexham using only downshifting and the occassional bit of handbrake (which are notoriously weak on centos) to slow down.

41 - 60 of 102 Posts