MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should I be leaving my car to idle before switching it off? It's a 1.8 K series turbo engine in a rover 75. Incidentally, what sort of RPM should I be sticking to when warming it up?

Also, how reliable is the turbo on the 1.8 K? And how reliable is a turbocharged K series, headgaskets aside.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
You are looking at keeping it up to about 3000RPM within the first 15 minutes or so of warm up, and then it is a gradual process of how far you can go afterwards.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
morris-mg said:
How long should I be leaving my car to idle before switching it off? It's a 1.8 K series turbo engine in a rover 75. Incidentally, what sort of RPM should I be sticking to when warming it up?

Also, how reliable is the turbo on the 1.8 K? And how reliable is a turbocharged K series, headgaskets aside.
Kid gloves IMO.

You need to leave it to idle after a run for 30 seconds to a minute. Warm up as Liam said, so the oil which cools the lower half of the liners is up to temp and you do not get too much spread of temp over the engine.

I have seen and heard of a fair few K turbo's with HGF here. Not sure as to whether they are worse than the normal K's, but I reckon one that is "used", probably would be.

Land Rover gasket and rail at first HGF IMO. May be worth looking into the PRT stat too, which Rover fitted to later cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts