MG-Rover.org Forums banner

K Series into a Maestro?

6K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  E_T_V 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyones done this? I know MGR had a test mule out in the 90's but it was before my time there.
I've got a complete donor MGF, i've also got Monty efi front hubs, driveshafts and gearbox mounts. The Maestro is currently a 1.3 so i know the Gearbox has gotta be swapped along with the engine (hence the mount), i know i need to fabricate a front and RH engine mount and i also know about the Fuel tank return mods and a pump is needed, also the gear selectors different etc but have i forgotten anything major?
All advice greatly received.

#7 ·
The reason is to do something different, i run British Legends, an MGF repairer in Essex, the Maestro in question is a van which is currently being repainted after extensive body repairs. It's currently sitting on 620Ti alloys with Dunlop tyres, the Montego hubs have vented Efi brakes on them already so the brakes should'nt be a problem.
Alot of people transplant a T series, so i fancied doing something else and a 1.8VVC in a company sign written Maestro van seemed like a good idea at the time!

It still does!!!

#14 ·
The 1.3 Montego was made for European market such as Greece, as anything above 1.3 becomes hugely expensive to tax & run. I mean a tax bracket that leapt from pounds (£) for up to a 1.3 to thousands above it. They sold a lot to Greece for that reason - big familly car, sensible tax bracket.

They were actually better than you would expect, not exactly lively, but not a slow old barge either - but they ran out of steam at about 65mph & struggled to get above 75mph ish. No slower than a Cortina 1.6.

#17 ·
As you'll probably know the maestro was the test mule for the K series engine, and there is bags of room to fit it. Infact apart from the offside engine mount it should just drop in. For the wiring I'd be tempted to cut and splice the MGF loom with the original van one. The van one is basic and simple and you can then use the alarm/immobiliser from the MGF.
You'll probably want to swap the radiator for a diesel/EFI one as it is full width rather than 2/3rds but otherwise it should be pretty straightforward. The hardest part by a long way will be the wiring and making all the pipes fit. You'll also need to modify the fuel tank to run an extra fuel return line but that isn't too hard, I welded one in to my mates van (which we converted to 2 litre EFI O series).

A light powerfull engine in a light car (well the van is lighter than the maestro saloon!), should make for a very interesting car.

One thing to bear in mind is the brakes. The standard van ones are carp (I know I've got one and I can cook them quite easily even though its an oil burner!). The bigger engined maestro hatch setup is vented and so better and you can get a further upgrade for these if you really want too - I've got them fitted to my MG Turbo). However the Maestro hatch has a different stud pattern to the maestro van. (3.75inch x 4 vs 4.5inch x 4. So you'll either need to modify the rear drums to fit 3.75 inch studs and find wheels to fit, or modify the fronts which I think is harder.

I don't often visit this part of the forum so if you need any specific info that I might be able to give then drop me a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.