MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What's up with your engine??? I know it seems mad but I would always avoid having a recon engine if I could get my own rebuilt

it may cost more and take longer - but you know your engine hasnt been raced like mad/done 15 million miles etc etc plus you get 1st choice of the builder.

Sorry I cant help but thats my take on it .. same for gearboxes (especially so with autos look up american sites - we all know how much they love their cars)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been back and foward to garge over last month.

Timimg belt changed, HGF 2 weeks later, thermostat week later, took it back as not running right and using water like its going out of fashion (no water on floor under car) used a max to min in about 5 miles or so!!

Now a bit down harted with the garage as they said inlet manifold gasket leaking. Put new one on, but still not right. When you start it from hot or cold misfiring.

Dad has a friend that worked a t a Rover dealiership and not at a land rover dealiership. He's taken top of and said water leaking into one of cylinders. Don't think garage had it presure tested possibly cracked. Said if so cheeper to get a recon engine. That's why I want to know. I know I should go back to garage but not convinced they can put it right without it either been in for ages or being still the same. They kept saying in needed to settle down might still be some oil where it shouldn't have been only done approx 400-500 miles since HGF. Also only doing about 300 miles to a tank that's usually nearer 400.

Sorry for long story but getting a bit fed up with it all now. Never had any other problems in 2 years apart from exhuast, tyres and a mad alarm that went off at 3 in the morning.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Ahh right... well if its the head leaking new head simple as if the rest of the block is ok surely?????? If the liners have sunk apparently thats the kiss of death (I'm not expert hell I don't know these things lol)

At very least be thankful the engines are pleantyful - personally I'd goto a new garage try an xpart service centre because something smells iffy if new parts have gone on to no avail. The work may cost more but you know its done correctly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sticking to my Dad's friend he's doing it in his garage at home just wondered what sort of money I was expecting to spend on a recon engine.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
crack in block - poss,
but worth checking that a liner hasn't come loose.
Just to qualify that, if garage botched job when first in for HGF, and knocked liner !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, im new here, and was just reading this... i dont know how interested you would be, but my brother has an old 414, its done 128k but has never had any problems, its had a new clutch and gearbox but engine always been good! i could probably get the engine for you for £100 or so with gearbox attached... you would obviously want to get it re-built before going to the hassle of getting it put in your car, but its perhaps a good base to work from as i can imagine the sooner your engine is out of sight the better? :D

Thanks

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ahh right... well if its the head leaking new head simple as if the rest of the block is ok surely?????? If the liners have sunk apparently thats the kiss of death (I'm not expert hell I don't know these things lol)
I had a loose liner, my engine is fine, *Touches wood*

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, im new here, and was just reading this... i dont know how interested you would be, but my brother has an old 414, its done 128k but has never had any problems, its had a new clutch and gearbox but engine always been good! i could probably get the engine for you for £100 or so with gearbox attached... you would obviously want to get it re-built before going to the hassle of getting it put in your car, but its perhaps a good base to work from as i can imagine the sooner your engine is out of sight the better? :D

Thanks
I think I'd rather have newer engine as mines on 7 years old as it is with only 48k on the clock. My main worry with garage I used was the number of HGF's they seem to be doing 3-5 a week. On various Rovers/MG's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts