MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im just wondering if you could help me.

i have ordered a k&n induction kit for my 200 bubble, now i have read before on these forums that different positioning etc of the air filter can have an increase in sound/performance.

where is the best place to put these for a rover 200 bubble? who has one and what did you do to get the best performance out of it?

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I did have mines directly on the throttle body, as the manufacture advises, but i found that eventually warm air starts entering as the heat from the surrounding engine heats up the air around.

Instead, this is what i did, it rests on the airbox with a direct feed from the front grill...

·
Registered
580 Posts
i found it was fine attached to the tb as long as you install the CAF they give you properly! easiest to try it and see how you get on before trying to relocate it

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
that placement in that picture is ideal, its taking advantage still of the airbox and the resinator box so it doesn't make the chavvy grunt.
Steve

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I found that you get 2 different type of noises, well with my car anyway, depending upon where you position the filter. If its directly on the TB, you get more noise with the lower revs, but place it like i did and you get less noise on lower revs (ideal if you don't want your engine booming all the time) but a louder, more deeper noise on the high end revs. Satisfying!

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
jonR200 said:
i found it was fine attached to the tb as long as you install the CAF they give you properly! easiest to try it and see how you get on before trying to relocate it
No, this is not the ideal place to have it at all.
The best place as has already been proved is on the end of the OE elbow or silicon elbow.
A CAF must be used and fitted correctly or it will be pointless fitting the filter in the first place unless you want to trade power for noise.

Another good mod is to place a heat sheild between the engine and the filter. Any cheapo baking tray or similar would suffice bent into the required shape.

·
Registered
580 Posts
ashy said:
No, this is not the ideal place to have it at all.
The best place as has already been proved is on the end of the OE elbow or silicon elbow.
A CAF must be used and fitted correctly or it will be pointless fitting the filter in the first place unless you want to trade power for noise.

Another good mod is to place a heat sheild between the engine and the filter. Any cheapo baking tray or similar would suffice bent into the required shape.
didnt say it was ideal but the difference in power between havin it on the tb and having it slightly further from the engine is unnoticable. especially since it is nearer the radiator/exhaust when located above the airbox. if you use the CAF properly it makes very little difference on its position.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
installed the k&n kit today.

1) noticed instant power gains
2) lovely noise from the front end
3) longer gears
4) gulp of air when chaning gear (nice)

:)

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
mickaffronti said:
installed the k&n kit today.

1) noticed instant power gains
2) lovely noise from the front end
3) longer gears
4) gulp of air when chaning gear (nice)

:)
you say longer gears, the reason for this is the loss in power you have got, its taking longer to get where it did before. Never expect any power gains from an open cone, youre just gonna get noise!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ain't you better off fitting a closed system like a Pipercross Viper where you have a cone filter but it only sucks cold air from in front of the rad, because then you get the noise of a K&N and better performance....and unfortionally a skinnier wallet cos they cost 200quid.

·
Registered
mini_the_real_one
11,237 Posts
Ben959 said:
Ain't you better off fitting a closed system like a Pipercross Viper where you have a cone filter but it only sucks cold air from in front of the rad, because then you get the noise of a K&N and better performance....and unfortionally a skinnier wallet cos they cost 200quid.
Some people have seen power losses from closed induction. Just go mad and remove the battery and shove the filter in the corner of the engine bay ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts