Votes: 19 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 7 26.9%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title - worthwile investment or waste of money?

It would be for my box standard F - I'd like to gain a bit of power and a bit of noise and thought this might be best kit to start with followed by exhaust later...

Opinions please!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
its a big fat yes from me :)

you wont gain much if any power unless you enclose it but the noise is fantastic imo :)

i've never looked back

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've voted yes, but it really depends ...

If you want to maximise the power, with some improvement in noise, you'll need one of the enclosed cones. If you are willing to compromise some power for a better noise, go with the K&N.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,183 Posts
Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed. Cold air feed.
I don't know, I am surprised you haven't suggested a Cold air feed? ;)

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry can you repeat that please I didn't catch it the first 12 times... ;)

I know i'm gonna sound really stupid now, but what are you on about? Please explain in noobie english terms if you would!

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
As title - worthwile investment or waste of money?

It would be for my box standard F - I'd like to gain a bit of power and a bit of noise and thought this might be best kit to start with followed by exhaust later...

Opinions please!
On an 'F' Yes...

The original air and resonator box was a bit of a 'parts bin' job and thus very poor and restrictive to airflow. a K+N with induction should help release several extra horses!.;)

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I just searched cold feed, and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

But 200 quid for a bit of pipe??

I'm guessing that's on top of the £90 for the filter in the first place?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=250114220423&rd=1&rd=1

I was hoping this was gonna be a pretty quick and simple job (if I decide to go ahead with it that it) as its in for a major service this week and i was gonna get the garage to fit the new kit at same time, don't want to end up paying out £££ in un-necessary labour but don't think i'm up to tackling this job myself.

PS. How do you put a title on the links rather than an ugly long link?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
YES YES
YES YES
YES YES
YES YES
YES YES
YES YES
YES YES!!! :p they sound great! and for your F it'l have a smal preformance gain to

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
Sorry can you repeat that please I didn't catch it the first 12 times... ;)

I know i'm gonna sound really stupid now, but what are you on about? Please explain in noobie english terms if you would!

cold air feed...the K&N needs cold air blown into it to help it breathe and suck in air. you do this by sticking tubes (cold air feeds) under the car which go towards the engine bay and then in front of the K&N. (very easy to install)

as you drive along air rushes into the tubes.

you should get a cold air feed with your purchase

....tell ya what i have some recordings of the induction roar ill dig them up for you and post them =)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes, soon ordering the 57i K&n myself so done a bit of research, cool air feeds come with it ...obviously the plant pot needs locating separately :D

Chris

·
Registered
7,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cold air feed...the K&N needs cold air blown into it to help it breathe and suck in air. you do this by sticking tubes (cold air feeds) under the car which go towards the engine bay and then in front of the K&N. (very easy to install)

as you drive along air rushes into the tubes.

you should get a cold air feed with your purchase

....tell ya what i have some recordings of the induction roar ill dig them up for you and post them =)

Thanks for the easy to understand explanation :) - And I'd def love to hear the recordings if you can find em.

I listened to a clip of a Daytona exhaust just now - and i think that might be next big thing on my shopping list!

This list is gettin bigger every day since I got the car a month ago, and it all started with a lighter and a tax disc holder... :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
I drove a Hyundi Coupe SE - its not the best of cars - but its ok. I think it lacks the funability factor. It sounds great though, the engine noise is fantastic. I hope, getting a K&N will do this for me.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
for bang for buck, u cnat go wrong with a K+N filter. especially on an mgf.

the mgf k+N kit comes with 2 cold air feed pipes whereas teh tf kit ponly comes with 1. this is done to teh design and where they expect you to attach the pipe, the mgf being a hydragas suspension set up and the tf being shocks and springs.

i bought the mgf kit fo rmy tf and then bought a tom randell bracket to fit the two pipes into and attach to part of the car chassis similar to how it would on an mgf.

if i was buying another, i wouldnt bother too much about the cold feed pipes, more importantly pop down to a local builder's merchant or similar and get some huge ventilation piping and use that to cool the filter down.
even better, pop it inside a plant pot/rover 820 airbox and u get a vacuum sucked enclosed system for a lot cheaper than a bought one costs.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,648 Posts
jan the other vids are saved as mp4's so cant upload them if u want them pm your email addresss to me =) they really do show off the sound of the induction =)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts