MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whose done it and what are your thoughts as I'm considering it.

The TF is currently SORN'd for winter (Yeah I'm a wimp) so it's either wait until March or go the postage route having never taken an ECU out before is it easy, any pitfalls to avoid?

Secondly should I go for the cackle on overrun sounds really good on their site but will it get on my nerves? currently have the std exhaust but a SS sports box is on my wish list. Concerned I might find it ok now but suddenly find I upgrade to a sports box and it's too loud and the neighbours stop talking to me.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Grey Nail Gas Rectangle Font
Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

KMaps usually makes for a smoother, torquier drive and slightly increases mpg - as does a SAWs tune.

Crackles are optional as is stainless exhaust. Imo a 'better' filter like Pipercross is essential, standard exhaust will suffice.

KMaps needs to be unscrewed (4 screws see pics) and sent away , SAWs can be d-i-y'd through the OBD port/internet (will need a pal with PScan or pay bucks for a professional) or unscrewed then sent away like KMaps. Prices are on w/sites.

To remove ecu there's 4 screws tucked well-away, then 2 multiplugs held in place with square pull-out tabs (see pic)

Personally I'd remap a used spare ecu so you have the option to easily revert and, perhaps, sell on. There's loadsa used MGR ecus floating around on eBay - just make sure it has the same part number.

Hope this helps.

ps pitfall alert - it's really easy to drop those small screws into the engine bay/onto the gearbox to be lost forever :)

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip about the screws sounds like a carrier bag under the ECU might help, as to a spare ECU I thought they are matched to the alarm fobs?

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Yes, the spare ecu can be synch'd to your original scu, hence alarm fobs. PScan has a 'learn EMS' facility that'll synch (certainly) a MEMS3 Pektron TF ecu to a Pektron scu so that the immobiliser works via the fob.
I'm guessing that yours is a Pektron 'round' fob/MEMS3 setup?
I only mention this because it's a cheap way of getting out of the remap, not being irreversibly tied in...and four screws later you're back to 'stock' since the scu has remembered your original ecu.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No mine is the earlier Lucas system so will it still work?

Re your original comment you are saying the SCU will work with more than one ECU? not my field at all but it seems strange to me that a "security" system can be overcome so easily

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Hi deepfat. Yours must be one of the really early TFs that still had the squarish Lucas fob then.

Your scu/bcu (behind the temp controls) is the MEMS1.9 5AS unit rather than the later MEMS3 Pektron TF unit that superseded it.

I haven't used my Pscan on one of these but if you look up the website (pscan.uk/features) for your system you'll see that Pscan can 'Learn 5AS EMS code' and this makes me confident to think that you can synch your ecu to it in the way that I described. Hopefully someone who knows better will be able to confirm...

I'm not sure it's that huge a security risk yho'; you've got to get into a locked car on the side of the road - perhaps wailing with flashing indicators - and turn on the ignition before you can 'learn the code' to your ecu so you'd attract a fair amount of attention :oops:...

As I said before for ~£25 it's a good 'insurance' for, perhaps, when you sell your car on.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Yep Roverlike is totally correct (and the pscan.uk w/site agrees) that MEMS1.9 was MGF up to 2001 and MEMS3 was MGTF 2001 -> and 'Learn 5AS or Pektron EMS code' is the statement of relevance.

So, sorry, I've complicated the issue and Pscan will definitely synch your 5AS immobiliser/key fob in the same way as I've used it with my Pektron fob.

And, yes, the very last Fs had loadsa TF bits under their skin as Roverlike points out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mark Stacey of Kmaps came to my home to do the upgrade. It takes less than an hour and the benefit of doing it on site is that he did a full check of things like mixture and idle and you can try out the level of pops and bangs that you desire. I'm lucky that I don't live too far from him so a home visit wasn't an issue but you can always get it done at his base.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Borrowed a KMaps ECU for my 135, to see what the fuss was about. It definitely improved the throttle response and got rid of the programmed hesitancy on application of throttle, felt faster and revvier and much more responsive in 4th and 5th gears. The TF is not a fast car in any guise but the remap increases enjoyment of the K and should have been on the car from new/supplied. I'm guessing there would be nothing 'in it' between a mapped 135 and an OE 160 in the real world, but it has been a few years since I have driven a 160.

Went with SAWS for my ECU remap given the quite considerable £60 price difference and purchased via Ebay; experienced the same results once fitted to my car. Happy with it.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Yes, I think these remaps are both seat-of-the-pants-enhancements rather than life-changing revelations and go a long way towards improving the enjoyment and self-personalization of our cars.

In my experience the initial improvement is gradual, seems to build up as sensors align within their tolerances and more noticeable if/when you revert back to 'stock'.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,478 Posts
Re your original comment you are saying the SCU will work with more than one ECU? not my field at all but it seems strange to me that a "security" system can be overcome so easily
The security system is controlled by the security control unit - in your case Lucas 5as. It is not "overcome so easily". The only security feature within the engine ECU is the immobilisation of the engine, but this is actually switched off by the security control unit.

The security control unit and the engine ECU share a code which the security unit sends to the engine ECU to disarm the immobiliser when the security unit recieves the required signal from the remote fob. This code has to be programmed to match between the engine ECU and security unit. It isn't a case of just taking any random engine ecu and it working regardless as it needs the equipment to match it to the 5as. The code shared between the security unit and the engine ECU is not the same as the code shared between the security unit and the fob.

Also to overcome the security would require knowing the fob/5as code, or having the equipment to reprogramme a 5as to match a different fob. Whilst this can be done relatively easily with the 5as, later cars with the Pektron SCU which operate with a rolling code between them and the fob would require the code to be known (which effectively means a brand new fob as nobody has yet found a way of successfully retrieving the current code from a used Pektron fob).

So, no; the cars security systems cannot be overcome easily.

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
I haven't tried it, but I gather Pscan can synch any 5AS fob (new or used) and only brand-new Pektron fobs to, I think, only MEMS3 but please correct me if I'm wrong...

I've personally used Pscan to synch a new SAIC (Continental) and used MGR (Motorola) ecus to my SAIC TF135 MEMS3 scu using the 'Learn EMS code' facility. Ecu immobiliser and fob both synch'd in the same process, via the scu I suppose.

I get the impression that the Pektron code continually changes and that the 21-digit 'new fob code' might be a starting point...

Hope this adds to the picture.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if I'm looking forward to or dreading connecting pscan to my car, I've got it but the car is wrapped up (batt off) at the mo, currently most of you are talking gibberish (the dread part) and I'm sh*t at languages.

I've been e mailing Mark at K maps and one thing I'm not sure about is disabling the MIL light, good it wont come on, bad I don't know there's a possible problem, but there do appear to be a lot ghosts in the system. But of course when I'm an expert with pscan (in my dreams) that wont matter will it ?

seamus54 I like the idea of going to him, he can as you say fiddle with settings etc and I can specify what I want at each stage, also a nice excuse for a drive although the odds are it will p*ss down on the day I pick. Perhaps I'll let him pick the day and negotiate a weather discount if required ☔

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
So deepfat...if you've got a Pscan it seems you have all the options for an ecu remap including downloading a SAWs tune and synching it to your car through the OBD port, unscrewing your ecu and sending it away to SAWS or Kmaps or splashing through the rain driving to Kmaps. You can also synch an extra remapped ecu and keep your original as a spare. All the choices.

Once you've narrowed your choice down by cost or convenience then forum members will help with the next stage, I'm sure. The Pscan website gives you a line-by-line set of directions if you choose to d-i-y with SAWS.

·
Registered
2002 MG TF VE51FTF
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bloody hell mate I haven't even plugged it in yet!! anybody want to come and hold my hand? I promise to use sanitizer first. I only used a code reader for the first time a couple of months ago, I suspect pscan will be more of a challenge

·
Registered
'10 TF135 Style
416 Posts
Just take loads of opportunities to do a few things like reading errors + cancelling them even if there are none, finding your EKA code etc to find your way around. Live data will follow as you get confident with it, soon you'll be able to measure coolant temp, revs etc with the engine going...you'll be okay :) It's a learning curve; no prizes for rushing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts