MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sitting here watching BTCC race 3 on Motors (Turkington leading, Collard 4th), I wondered if the 2L version of the K engine will remain in racing, or if it will make an appearance in road cars when NAC get going next year.

Now that it's being proven in race form it would be good to see it in road going MGs.

Could be good in the new TF!

What does everyone else think?

Does anyone have inside info?

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No reason a production version should be expensive.

Hopefully we will see it in the new cars. Doubt it will be in the restart of TF production though.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Rover_King said:
I heard that it cost them a lot to build. As the internal parts are different/stronger.
The race ones were expensive, but these are not mass production engines.

It is possible to make them for similar prices as the current engine.

·
Premium Member
mg_zt_t
21,916 Posts
K2000 - Very very costly.... and to make them suitable for road use would negate most of the racing benefits. In which case a cooking T16 would suffice...

The same applies to most, maybe all the engines used in all the competition
touring cars. Very little in common with road going versions...

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
MGJohn said:
K2000 - Very very costly.... and to make them suitable for road use would negate most of the racing benefits. In which case a cooking T16 would suffice...

Ahh I'm not going mad then I was correct.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
MGJohn said:

Not so John. BTCC engines are surprisingly similar to the road versions. This is part of the regulations imposed by TOCA on the teams. As noted in the article Judd did a lot of work on the K2000 which could translate over to a road version. The ensuing costs however would be in manufacture, reliability emmissions etc.

As for the cost of a K2000, well any decent racing engine is expensive. On the plus side the K2000 has proved to be a very reliable unit. The only failure that springs immediately to mind was when the oil breather (iirc) failed on Reidy's car at Oulton Park a couple of years back. It was interesting watching the team try to fix it before the Klaxon went to clear the grid - in fact we all trooped off very slowly to try and give them a few extra seconds.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Rover_King said:
Ahh I'm not going mad then I was correct.
Not really. It was commented upon by MGR when in business that a production version could be made for similar costs to the current engine lineup.

The testing and proving were the costly parts up front. The engine production for a reasonably powerful version are not that high as you would not be making an engine with forged internals etc.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to be clear - I wasn't saying the racing K2000 might appear in road cars.

I was wondering if a road going version would be produced, similar to the previous production engines but enlarged to 2L using some of the development work done for the racing engine.

It would seem like a logical development of the K-series, if it ever gets back into production.

Quite amazing, that an engine intended to be only 1.1 or 1.4 should end up as a 2.0... and a pretty good racing engine too.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well I wouldn't mind a racing version in a 75 - It would be one heck of a motor!

But yes, I know what you were meaning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts