MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for being niave, but as a soon to be (1 week) owner of a ZR 120 Trophy SE, what would be the implications to people like me if MGR go under? e.g warranty etc.

ps. Sorry if this is considered another thread about 'SAIC', but I had no reply on the official thread, and this is not about any press speculation.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
IF MGR went bust and it ceased to exist completely then you'd more than likely be stuffed with your warranty. It is always possible that certain sections would be sold off and somewhere in there a sort of warranty may still be available. This is all assuming the company wasn't just taken over completely.

Obviously if MGR did go bust then no more cars would be being produced, therefore no more parts would be produced and if something broke it would have to be fixed or you'd have to source the part yourself.

All worse case scenario, and is just the way i'd see it, but i really doubt MGR are going under just yet and i'm sure something would be worked out for existing customers.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Well X-Part would still make parts as they are no longer owned by MG Rover and as CAT Logistics bought the business they could still sell all the parts without MG Rover. I doubt they will go bust though.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The deal will go through. We know this because another user said his girlfriend's tarot cards said so.

However, SAIC is playing all hard-to-get, because they sense they can get a better deal. I dunno, maybe they're holding out for John Tower's nice leather swivel chair. (and now I'm speculating about John Tower's office!).

But seriously, the deal is going through, it's just under exactly what terms...

·
Registered
783 Posts
MG ZR VIRGIN said:
Sorry for being niave, but as a soon to be (1 week) owner of a ZR 120 Trophy SE, what would be the implications to people like me if MGR go under? e.g warranty etc.

ps. Sorry if this is considered another thread about 'SAIC', but I had no reply on the official thread, and this is not about any press speculation.
I'm in the same boat. I should be picking my nearly-new ZT-T up from the dealer on Wednesday. It would be a complete waste of time to get it with the chance of not being able to use the 2+ years warranty! I wonder whether the dealer will let me postpone collection until weekend?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
selwonk said:
I'm in the same boat. I should be picking my nearly-new ZT-T up from the dealer on Wednesday. It would be a complete waste of time to get it with the chance of not being able to use the 2+ years warranty! I wonder whether the dealer will let me postpone collection until weekend?
I know how you feell! I love the car I am supposed to be getting...and I have been waiting nearly 8 weeks, but you can't help thinking "should I cut my loses, lose my £200 deposit and save myself a lot of trouble" decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
Only a fool would cancel there orders. According to the press MG Rover have been going bust for the past 5 years. So why should we believe them. Channel 4 news say the pension fund is £74 Million short not £400 Million.

G

·
TBH I don't think MGR will go bust but I would be "ill" in the next few days so therefore I couldn't collect my new car - if you get my drift

·
Registered
440 Posts
I strongly suspect that the MG brand would be sold off as it is still strong and sells well and with that warranties would transfer to the new owner of the marque. As for Rover, I don't know, but I would suspect that any receiver would keep the company running for a while (plus SAIC may still want the brand). Machinery would be sold off and companies would take over the making of spare parts, but whether this would include warranty work, I don't know. Plus

BUT this is all irrelevant, because MGR will still be going on Friday and the Friday after that and so on. People not buying MGR cars is the only thing that will kill the company off, in the same way that if all of a sudden UK consumers stopped buying Vauxhalls, Vauxhall would disappear before very long. This is why people should forget all this nonsense, because the only way that MGR is going to be successful is from selling cars and making money on them, therefore if people buy the cars they will keep going.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUT this is all irrelevant, because MGR will still be going on Friday and the Friday after that and so on. People not buying MGR cars is the only thing that will kill the company off, in the same way that if all of a sudden UK consumers stopped buying Vauxhalls, Vauxhall would disappear before very long. This is why people should forget all this nonsense, because the only way that MGR is going to be successful is from selling cars and making money on them, therefore if people buy the cars they will keep going.[/QUOTE]

That's all very good and well and if the money wasn't an issue I would go ahead and buy a dozen cars to help MGR. But I am in no position to be a guinea pig, for MGR's benefit. I tell you what...you pay for my car and I will sign a contract to say I will pay you the full cost back when MGR is in a more secure position.

·
Registered
783 Posts
e668ecp - That's more or less my tack. "Sorry - I'm away on urgent business the next couple of days. Can I see you for collection on Saturday morning"...

·
Registered
783 Posts
At the end of the day, I suppose the parts network will still exist. I can get a decent RAC Warranty to cover 2 years (I'm planning to sell the car in 23 months) for £489. My gut feeling is that all parties involved are taking full advantage of pre-election spin and that it is unlikely that they will go under. Incidentally, I've just run the same warranty quote across a couple of different warranty providers. They all provide pretty much the same cover but the prices are quite different:

Quoteline Direct (http://www.quotelinedirect.com) - £489.00 (RAC cover)

Warranty Direct (http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk) - £750.21

·
Registered
mg_zs
716 Posts
I pick up my brand new ZS180 tomorrow (Wednesday) and I'm not worried one little bit :hyper: just gonna enjoy driving the car and get on with my life.

cheers, :beer:

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Only a fool would cancel there orders.
Call me a fool then, cos if i had a brand new MG/Rover on order now i'd cancel it. Sorry but all this positive outlook here is great and all but no one here knows anything more than the papers do, perhaps even less. It would be far more foolish to stick with an order for a car from a manufacturer that may possibly be about to go bust, especially just out of some sort of loyalty. It wouldn't hurt to cancel an order for a couple of weeks till an official anouncement was made.

That's not being doom and gloom about MGR is just a sensible thing to do, and would be regardless of the company. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a brand new car from a manufacturer that no longer operated. The resale value of a new car when it drives out of showroom is bad enough as it is, for a manufacturer that has gone bust it would be hurrendous.

Still hoping they don't go bust but i'm beginning to think things aren't looking great at the minute.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope I end up doing the same. I've had a quick look around at the opposition and I would have to spend another £4k to get anything near what I am getting from MGR. Lets hope there's some good news around the corner.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Schtopper said:
Call me a fool then, cos if i had a brand new MG/Rover on order now i'd cancel it. Sorry but all this positive outlook here is great and all but no one here knows anything more than the papers do, perhaps even less. It would be far more foolish to stick with an order for a car from a manufacturer that may possibly be about to go bust, especially just out of some sort of loyalty. It wouldn't hurt to cancel an order for a couple of weeks till an official anouncement was made.

That's not being doom and gloom about MGR is just a sensible thing to do, and would be regardless of the company. The last thing you want is to be stuck with a brand new car from a manufacturer that no longer operated. The resale value of a new car when it drives out of showroom is bad enough as it is, for a manufacturer that has gone bust it would be hurrendous.

Still hoping they don't go bust but i'm beginning to think things aren't looking great at the minute.

You do start thinking no news, is bad news! Surely MGR realise that no statement from their end is doing nothing but harm for the confidence of consumers...and makes you think that maybe the lack of statement from their end is because 'if you have'nt got anything good to say, don't say anything at all.'

G

·
MG ZR VIRGIN said:
You do start thinking no news, is bad news! Surely MGR realise that no statement from their end is doing nothing but harm for the confidence of consumers...and makes you think that maybe the lack of statement from their end is because 'if you have'nt got anything good to say, don't say anything at all.'
Perhaps they are concentrating on the negotiations, not putting out press releases which may annoy SAIC.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
No Daewoo owners lost their warranties when Daewoo went bust
Daewoo were bought out, that's a different matter. If another company buys MGR then fine, everything will be ok even if the cars aren't made anymore. The problem will only be if MGR dissapears into the ether and it no longer exists in any form.

As was already mentioned parts will probably still be made, but how many parts? which parts? i doubt very much the entire car would be made so not everything would be available.

Engine wise you'll be fine, there is more than just MGRs that use the K series (assuming that's what you've got, no idea on diesels etc) and so i wouldn't imagine getting parts for that would be a big deal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts