MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4412903.stm

I posted this, let's see what gets edited ...

The only reason MGR will fail to survive is because of the ridiculous hammering it and the Phoenix 4 get in the British press, along with the ignorance and lack of patriotism of the British public.

Perhaps when we British have conspired to kill most of our industries and sell the rest off, press and public alike may start to ask who's to blame - and the answer will be, we are.

The Phoenix 4 are by no means the worst fat cats in industry; nobody ever points out that at the very worst they've kept at least 6000 people at MGR and many more supporting companies in work for 5 years (and probably more if/when the JV comes off). How much is that worth to the economy? Especially when most of the press were gleefully predicting the demise of the company within a maximum two years.

The stupidity of the press and the stupidity of people in believing the press is the most sickening aspect of this whole business.

See www.mg-rover.org for the other side of the story.

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,728 Posts
The prik who wrote the piece contradicts himself 3/4 times.

Utter pratt, scaremongering.

Now the government has got on the skateboard to look good. Before the election on the 5th, 'Government saves last british volume car maker, 6k jobs saved'

Assholes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i didnt copy my post but im disappointed by how much the press constantly slags MGR!! its one of the only things we still have left going for this country which isnt shipped in from abroad!! My family own 5 MGR's and always will buy them! Quality cars, good price, and with the new 25, the 75 and ZR are great looking! The press never seem to pick up of the **** cars made by other companies... and the poor reliability of other makes! They may have the money but they lack the passion. British people need to stick to their grounds like other countries do and stop ruining our economy by buying european fashion cars!
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good Work Everybody

Some good messages on the bbc site. Got mine on there.
The media are having an massive adverse effect on peoples confidence but people seem to still have a soft spot for mg rover. Now they need to be able to vote for it! Keith?? come on...... you know you want to....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I put my reply on there yesterday at about 5 pm and it hasn't been updated since so I imagine there are a lot of us who are pretty fed up that there are some idiots quoted on there who want Rover closed who get their say up in lights (along with some good comments as well) and the rest of us have either been edited out or forgotten.

I still haven't received a reply to my complaint to the BBC after Saturday's disgusting sensationalist reporting. I have had Five Live on at work this morning and surprise, surprise they have reported the 17% drop in sales for March as if it meant the end of the world. Given the barrage of negative press I expected it to be worse than that. To his credit the reporter at Longbridge did point out that in the context of the overall car market this wasn't as bad as it looked but the presenter seemed more interested in selling the end of the world is nigh story. Interestingly though they had Quentin Wilson on who seemed to be quite reasonable although he did ruin it for me when he said that apart from the ZT V8 all the range was 'ailing'. He also said that the Phoenix four had agreed to put up the personal guarantees the dti wanted which (although I haven't read most other threads yet today) I was unaware of.

G

·
Ben - Five Live have reported nothing apart from facts. Whilst it would be nice to have them highlight Ford and GM's problems, they are not British companies whereas MGR is. It is also worth pointing out, however, how much airtime WAS given to the decision by Ford to stop making cars at Browns Lane.

By and large, the BBC do a decent enough job of remaining impartial. Being fed bulls*** by the government doesn't help.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Mickey said:
The prik who wrote the piece contradicts himself 3/4 times.

Utter pratt, scaremongering.

Now the government has got on the skateboard to look good. Before the election on the 5th, 'Government saves last british volume car maker, 6k jobs saved'

Assholes.
I agree with you but if it does save Rover then I wouldnt mind - it's wouldnt make me vote/not vote for them anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I posted a reply but it hasnt appeared on the site yet, surprise surprise!
Buy British was my main point i made ie gov bodies,police etc etc

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I can't see my reply on the site there ... but I posted another comment on one of the new articles. Even more strongly worded!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Richard Moss said:

Five Live have reported nothing apart from facts. Whilst it would be nice to have them highlight Ford and GM's problems, they are not British companies whereas MGR is.
Why should MGR be subject to extra scrutiny because it's British? We're constantly told that when we buy something, it shouldn't be because it's British, but for other reasons.

Anyway, I guess it's positive the li'l ol' MGR is so important. :eyes:

My response to the article - and to todays - have both been ignored...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts