MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you use it instead of a cat meaning better Bhp etc i had one on my rover 214 and it made one hell of a difference

·
Registered
mgf
250 Posts
TBH, when I put the cat bypass pipe on my car I felt no improvement in BHP at all, if anything an ever so slight decrease, I remember someone once telling me that the F could do just this due to a loss of back pressure or something like that, makes a better sound though, especially when you have a sports box on the back, I’ve not put mine back on yet anyway.

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
HMMmmmm.

If you read DR Bells site, he has done lots of testing on Induction kits/ exhaust mods etc.

When he tested the cat bypass on the 18mpi, there was very little performance gain, and on the VVC, the car actually LOST power with a de-cat fitted!.

The only benifit is the exhaust was `Louder`, but then you have to re-fit your cat back every year for the MOT.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dunno how he came to that conclusion no offense when i had my 214 exhaust install i went to longlife and had a custom stainless steel exhaust on with a de-cat.

Now the firs thing i went to a RR day a month before i started moding my car and the car put out 103bhp that was with no mods at all

then after the exhaust i went to the same place tommys rollers in cardiff so see the improvment and the RR dyno put out 115bhp :S as you see a very big increase plus the car felt so much better.

Now the cat only sucks power away from the car so i can tsee how a standard cat could be anywhere near the same perfformance as a de-cat pipe can anyone point in the direction of a before and after dyno for mgf???

Plus the diameter of the de-cat pipe is much smaller than my one on my rover 214 meaning very little loss of back presure

thnx
Dan

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
taken from a FAQ site...
There is some debate about the benefits of de-catting. Most 'experts' agree that merely removing the cats won't cause any problems as long as the Lambda sensors are left in place, and that the ECU does not need re-mapping. Simply replace the cats with equivalent lengths of exhaust piping. The main debate is whether the ECU automatically makes the most of the cat-less exhaust, or whether re-mapping is required to maximise the benefit. The consensus now appears to be that re-mapping, although optional, will increase the power over and above that gained by merely removing the cats

i havent a clue about the technicalities of it all, but i know of a few ppl who own mgf's who have suffered a loss of power after fitting a car by pass, the only gain they got was an increase in noise.

and dont take any offence from me, but i wouldnt compare a rover 200 to an mgf, as the design and outlay have similar parts but on the whole completeyl different.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 14 of 14 Posts