MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Never thought I'd ever join a Rover forum. I've been a fan and collector of 60s and 70s Japanese cars for as long as I can remember. At the moment, I have a collection of just over 60 cars. They are mostly Datsuns but I've thrown a few Hondas, Mazdas and Mitsubishis in.

Just lately, I've been 'Buying British' and a Stiletto, Wolseley 6 Landcrab, Allegro estate, Mk1 Mini, Mk1 Metro and a Bedford CF van have appeared on my scene.

And there's the reason for my joining this forum to add. I 'saved' a P reg 220D from the scrapman. I've known the car for a few years now and have watched it deteriorate until the owner parked it up a year ago. A month ago he decided to scrap it and I gave him scrap money for it. I didn't need another car but the reputed 60 mpg was very appealing.

I washed it, put fresh fuel in, a good battery and it fires up everytime. It is now taxed and Mot'd and both wifey and I are getting to really enjoy it. I might even replace the dented nearside wing and door. Its got a few issues, hence my being here.

Jon

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Hello Jon and welcome to the site. :)

Glad to see that you saved what appears to be a perfectly good Rover from the crusher.

:broon:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi John and welcome. There's something about the Rover 400 shape isn't there. I've always thought the lines were classy, and even now prefer the look to a lot of the modern cars. The deisel was indeed famed for the mpg, so be interesting to see how much mpg you get. And for the money you paid, you've got an economical, classic looking car that's also comfy and reliable. Plus the fact you've saved a 90's classic from being scrapped! That alone makes you one of the good guys in my book!
Loving the sound of your collection, me being an old git recognise all the cars you mention. Be interested in your Japanese ones too as I've always been a fan of old Jap cars (hence ive got a civic aerodeck as my daily and an mx5 mk1). Dream car for me.....has to be Datsun 240Z. Always wanted one, but way out of my price range now. Can remember as a 5 year old my dad getting a shot of his friends brand new 260Z.....was a wierd kinda yellow colour. Always remember how chuffed he was to be driving a sports car around our town, arm out the window and me in the wee fold down seats in the back grinning ear to ear!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts