MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just bought an 04 MG ZR 105+ its done 22,000 miles and cost me £4400 - quite good deal I thought...

However theres a few mods i've got in mind and wanted to put past you knowledgable people for advice/critiques.

The first is a new exhaust as the current one is the standard small boring type. I dont want to replace the whole exhaust system just the visible part. Do they call this the "backbox"? Anyway could you recommend me a nice looking one for my partcular model, I dont want a really noisy, hugely big exhaust - slightly louder and sporty is what i'm after (possibly twin exhaust) ;)

Secondly I saw a photo of an MG which had red brake calipers on the front two wheels, this looked really nice (especially on my trophy blue model). Can you paint/spray the calipers (is it best to get it done professionally) or can you buy proper painted calipers somewhere?

One last question, completely unrelated to mods...

I noticed the brakes on the ZR take a while longer to slow the car than other cars i've driven, I spoke to a friend who has a ZR and he said this is normal. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks

·
Registered
919 Posts
caliper painting.... just use red hammerite, get it from b&q or focus... you only need a small tin. dont let anyone tell you to get VHT (very high temp) paint, you dont need it. my old rover had red calipers, and despite a spell of having new pads binding up (causing excessive heat) the paint is still there... after 2 years :)

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
With regard to stopping, my 105+ 56 plate stops on a sixpence it has got abs and ebd and stops much quicker than my old 25. I am not sure if the 04 models had the extras on the brakes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooh yes gold does look quite nice. I found this site which seems to do a red brake caliper for the ZR, it looks to be the mk2 model but should fit a mk1 right?

http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/brakekit/new.htm

Trouble is I cant find a price or an actual way of buying it, theres just an image of the calipers on a ZR and nothing else...

Also what exhausts do you have on your ZR's, I need some ideas of ones which go nice with the ZR.

Thanks for your comments...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the forums:)

With regard to the exhaust, have a look here: http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/produ...35&SubCategoryID=3&selection=8&subselection=5

They do the 6x4 oval and the twin round tailpipes. Go for the intermediate section too if you want a 'cat-back' system (will have a little more grunt). You won't really feel a power increase though.

If you want twin as in one each side of the bumper, then have a look here: http://www.powerflowexhausts.co.uk/HOME.CFM . There have been some good reviews about these people, and they're fairly reasonable on price.

Rich.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
A good back box for you would be the x power twin pipe one. X power exhausts arn't too loud just a nice deep burble and of course they look good ;). I also like the fact that they are a genuine MG part.

As for the brakes it's dead easy too paint them yourself I painted mine with plasti-kote enamel paint. It comes in small pots from most DIY stores and Halfords stock it as well, it comes in a big choice of colours so you should find a shade you like, it's brush applied which avoids messy over spray.
As for the feel of your brakes the 105 doesn't have the sharpest brakes in the world it doesn't matter if they have ABS and ABD or not the feel of the brakes is not altered by this. If they are spongey however it may be best to have them checked out. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi, i'm by no means a professional but for a nice exhaust try blue flame or mongoose, same company. They sell them over the net but if you want it fitting by themselves they are based in lancashire about 2mins from my house and 3 of my mates work there :D

I have a full system fitting on my car and its been great, very quiet, better mid range grunt and looks the part. I'm also told that they do loads of MG's and they also fit the metal surround to stop the bumper melting!

As for the braking, that seems strange, the MG is a sports car, or more of one than the Rover, but my Rover 25 IS with sport pack stops faster than anything else i've driven when you really need it too. Have you had the ABS checked & what tyres are you running on? I run Pirelli P6000's 205/55 R15 from www.blackcircles.com which cost £90 for two delivered, they stick like crazy and they are one of the best tyres around in the wet, plus they dont go bald in 15mns

Just my two pence worth.

Nick
Enjoy the Ride ... Its the only one you get.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Don't forget to paint your rear drums too.

Obviously I'm out of touch with current thinking, but why on earth do people want/need to paint brake calipers or even (big laugh) the drums? It's a surefire way to appear on www.barryboys,co.uk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Anyway could you recommend me a nice looking one for my partcular model, I dont want a really noisy, hugely big exhaust - slightly louder and sporty is what i'm after (possibly twin exhaust)
I've fitted a twin 3" backbox made by Piper. It sounds wicked. Very nice rumble on tickover. All I would say is when your fitting an exhaust that wide it will fill the whole gap, I had to get some longer rubbers to stop it tapping on the bumper. Not a huge problem, just worth noting.

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Or... its can just look nice. Same way people colour code their middle A bar or bump strips. I think they look good but I do agree that sometimes...they can look crap on certain cars. If i had back brakes then I would definitely get them coloured but seeing as I only have front ones then maybe I would consider.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A good back box for you would be the x power twin pipe one. X power exhausts arn't too loud just a nice deep burble and of course they look good ;). I also like the fact that they are a genuine MG part.
Can you give me a link to the exhaust as I cant find any particular sites with that exhaust. Also would an MG dealership fit that exhaust as its a genuine MG exhaust?

Also does anyone recommend these calipers:

http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/brakekit/new.htm

I think i'd prefer getting the real thing rather than painting the current ones ;)

Oh and as for the brakes, i'll ask at the MG dealership when I take it in for its yearly service later this month.

One other thing, I have noticed a dent (about 2.5 inches long) on the passenger door. I guess its been done by the previous owner opening the door and hitting a lamp post or something. The paint is still intact but i'd like to get it sorted, what kind of price can I expect to pay for sorting it out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
classic_rover
104 Posts
Those AP racing calipers and disks are going to cost you at least £600.
What about some TF red ones?
I have an MG X-Power (made by Janspeed) on my 160, not too loud and looks good, plus with an induction kit (cold air) you should get more bhp.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oops, sorry I had seen that x power exhaust - I wasn't sure if it was the one you were referring to. Anyway I think I may get this: http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=496

Where would I get it fitted? Can I just take it along to my local dealer?

Also those calipers if they are going to be £600+ are a bit expensive ;) Where can I get/have a look at the TF red ones?

Thanks

Also does the mk1 ZR 105+ have ABS brakes?

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Also does the mk1 ZR 105+ have ABS brakes?
It was optional on the 105. The easiest way to check if you have it is either look under the bonnet for the ABS module its near the coolant tank, it looks like a grey box with four black pipes coming from it. Or look to see if the ABS light comes on, on the dash when the ignition is swiched on.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Don't forget to paint your rear drums too.

Obviously I'm out of touch with current thinking, but why on earth do people want/need to paint brake calipers or even (big laugh) the drums? It's a surefire way to appear on www.barryboys,co.uk

lol I used to think that but when you can see your calipers through the alloys you kinda start thinking, ooh they're rusty , darn kinda showing up my car....

I havent done mine but I'm certainly considering it just changed my pads on the rear calipers few days ago

plus when I walk past them Rs Skodas ( ahh help I have bad taste ) I think ooh that green goes well with the grey car.... I'm starting to think perhaps I shall paint mine green :p

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
lol I used to think that but when you can see your calipers through the alloys you kinda start thinking, ooh they're rusty , darn kinda showing up my car....

Exactly! They look a lot better painted my OH's Clio could do with the calipers and drums painted as they look rather pants all rusted up.

... I'm starting to think perhaps I shall paint mine green :p
Go on, do it :broon:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts