MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

We have just got an ECU programmer with all the software..

Got all the standard programming data and the modified stuff too..

Looking for some volunteers to practise on...

Any takers.. 25's, 45's, 75's, ZR's, ZS's, ZT's etc.. or any other makes

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I dont think there is any thing that can be done to a chipped p plate sdi, it would be nice to remap but its a problem ill always have with this car.
Cheers scott.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
How competent are you with this software?

Have you done re-mapping before?

Re-mapping is a very technical business, and the slightest wrong bit of data can begger up your engine.

Try re-mapping your own, and report back. Sounds a bit disconcerting saying, "Looking for some volunteers to practise on..."

I wish you the best of luck, but my confidence isn't exactly brimming at the moment.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With no disrespect Skelo, it's not exactly rocket science taking a backup of some binary code and replacing it with a ready made upgraded version. If the new version doesn't work, you simply re-program with the old code again.

I am not, and would never, right the coding myself as that is the area where you run into problems..

I have used a machine on cars a while ago, and also re-mapped boats and jetskis.. again, using ready made codes..

I am not asking for volunteers so I can see if various modified codes work, I want to simply re-code the ecu with the ready made modified codes..

I was all ready to mess with the ecu on my own car, but as it is not able to accept a re-coding that was out the window... I don't fancy going down the route of re-coding and replacing eeproms within the ecu so need some other cars to try it on...

At the end of the day, it is not much different re-programming a car than re-flashing BIOS on a PC or changing the firmware on a phone or satelite box.. As long as you do it the right way and always take a backup copy of the code before doing anything 99% of the time you are safe. The other 1% is usually a problam caused by a faulty chip that would happen if it was being programmed by someone who had been doing it for 50 years or someone just starting out.

I could of said that I had been re-programming ECUs everyday for the last 10 years and you would not have known any different, as it is, I am being honest and asking for a little help in learning more about the processes involved in modern day ECU remapping.. the best way of which is to actually do it..

Regards,

Rich

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
If you remap too agressively on the L series, well certainly the newer version fitted to the 25/45/ZR/ZS, then you can burn out a component in the fuel pump = £££. This happened to Pocket Bike's car after he was experimenting with his own remaps.

He believes he has found the safe limit now, somewhere around 140bhp I believe.

I have also read information that the Derv Doctor, a well respected by some Diesel tuner, has said that it is possible to "crash" the pump on these cars as well, destroying it. Whether this is the same burning out problem that Pocket Bike experienced when overdoing it, or something that can happen with a conservative (but flawed) remap, I don't know.

I had mine done by Upsolute; it cost £275, and I have faith that my pump will still be going strong as long as I own the car.

As they say, you pays your money (or not).

Not meaning to demean rwkshaw's offer, but it seems like he thinks that remapping is a harmless procedure, and if something goes wrong then the original map can be restored and all is well. I'm don't know myself, maybe sticking to a certain bhp level is pretty safe, but I'd want the issues I have raised addressed before I accepted a remap from him, free or not.

Tim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like I said, I am not intending on "messing" with fine tuning of components, merely re-mapping with a ready made code from a German Tuning Company.

I could charge you £285 for the re-map, this of course would more than cover my expenses should I have to buy you a new fuel pump or ECU..

People have their doubts, fine.. It's up to you...

Once again, I will explain again...

I am not asking for volunteers so I can see if various modified codes work, I want to simply re-code the ecu with the ready made modified codes..

·
Registered
865 Posts
rwkshaw i would be interested but would need to know the terms for this. Ie if you were to flash the ecu only to find it wouldnt work and the data was unrecovereable who would pay for it to be sorted. I accept you are offering this to start with on a " i will do it for free to practice" but in my experience accidents do happen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rwkshaw i would be interested but would need to know the terms for this. Ie if you were to flash the ecu only to find it wouldnt work and the data was unrecovereable who would pay for it to be sorted. I accept you are offering this to start with on a " i will do it for free to practice" but in my experience accidents do happen.
If in any way you are unsure then don't have it done.. As with anything free you accept the risks involved...

Yes, if I was playing about with settings then there are risks as stated by those above who have experienced such problems, I am not disputing that. As for the already made modified codes the risks involved are minimal.. All settings are set to a level within the tolerance of the cars components eliminating such problems as burnt out pumps, and blown injectors etc.. If your ECU were to fail for whatever reason the costs involved would be the cost of a replacement ECU and the costs to have it re-coded to your key fob..

If you are not willing to take this chance then you should go and pay someone the £200+ and have it done by a professional.. PocketbikeUK does the re-mapping I believe...

Talking of whom.. I would be more than willing to email you (Pocketbike) the codes I have for you to look at.. (by the way, I am in no way trying to tout business from you - just get going up here in the North West)

·
Registered
556 Posts
In all honesty, if you're just using preset maps and not fiddling with them yourself, then I don't see any danger in it over and above that which would be present anyway.

It's just flashing a premade set of code onto a chip. I assume a backup would be made first of the existing map, so if the transfer failed in any way, things could be put back to normal. You normally can't just write garbage onto an ECU, there normally are checksums etc to ensure that the code on the chip is the same as you actually want.

Flashing an ECU isn't a black art, I've done it before (although not on a Rover), so people don't have much to worry about. Just make sure to have the EKA code handy in case though, as that's about the only thing which might give issues. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In all honesty, if you're just using preset maps and not fiddling with them yourself, then I don't see any danger in it over and above that which would be present anyway.

It's just flashing a premade set of code onto a chip. I assume a backup would be made first of the existing map, so if the transfer failed in any way, things could be put back to normal. You normally can't just write garbage onto an ECU, there normally are checksums etc to ensure that the code on the chip is the same as you actually want.

Flashing an ECU isn't a black art, I've done it before (although not on a Rover), so people don't have much to worry about. Just make sure to have the EKA code handy in case though, as that's about the only thing which might give issues. ;)
!!!!
o o
.o.
\_/

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If in any way you are unsure then don't have it done.. As with anything free you accept the risks involved...

Yes, if I was playing about with settings then there are risks as stated by those above who have experienced such problems, I am not disputing that. As for the already made modified codes the risks involved are minimal.. All settings are set to a level within the tolerance of the cars components eliminating such problems as burnt out pumps, and blown injectors etc.. If your ECU were to fail for whatever reason the costs involved would be the cost of a replacement ECU and the costs to have it re-coded to your key fob..

If you are not willing to take this chance then you should go and pay someone the £200+ and have it done by a professional.. PocketbikeUK does the re-mapping I believe...

Talking of whom.. I would be more than willing to email you (Pocketbike) the codes I have for you to look at.. (by the way, I am in no way trying to tout business from you - just get going up here in the North West)
hi there just a question who makes the modified files for you, as you need a file for each specific software version for each ecu type and cant just use any file as using a different software version can mess things up big time ie kill the ecu or damage fuel pump rover have 200 software versions for the 25,45 l series diesels alone, if you have bought a kwp2000 of ebay with a cd with 10,000 files on then all i can say is dont touch the files with a bargepole you have no way of knowing what has been modified in the file or what software version they are and everytime you program a car with one of those files you risk killing the engine, if you want to do remapping you need to be able to get a file made specifically for each car by reading the original file from the car, sending it to a tuner gettin it modified then loading it into the car this is the only safe way, find a tuner and speak to them to see if they will supply you with files they will also give you support and help you if you do kill a ecu. A file will cost you around £100 each so those 10,000 files on a cd should be worth a lot right? well tbh they are completely usesless really apart from looking at with winols to look at the differences in standard and tuned maps to help gain some understanding, remapping may seem like a easy business but if you have no knowledge of checksumms or how the ecu prgramming takes place then you are going to be facing some exspencive bills for new ecus and blown engines.

just hope you understand what you are doing fully before killing someones car, do you know about different software versions and checksums and calculating them, do you have winols?

cheers matt

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

if you write the wrong file to the ecu you cant reflash the original back on in most cases as the ecu cant now talk to the obd port you have to take the chips out and reflash the chip

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
if you write the wrong file to the ecu you cant reflash the original back on in most cases as the ecu cant now talk to the obd port you have to take the chips out and reflash the chip
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I wouldn't attempt to flash my own ecu with the Ebay kit, let alone 'practice' on other owners cars.
It wouldn not go down well if they had driven miles to me to witness me stuff their ecu and leave them with a 'non runner', me with an expensive repair and them with no way to get home......

Caveat emptor.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts