MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi iv just got a replacement box for my rover 220 turbo diesel Which i will be fitting soon, As soon as the weather is good

What im asking is as far as i know it is the PG1 box Isnt it? Do i use MTF94 / 5w30 oil to refill it once fitted???

heres some pics

Cheers

·
Registered
556 Posts
MTF94, and only MTF94! Nothing else will do.

Basically, if it doesn't reek of cat pee, don't put it in your PG1 gearbox. ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Still, no point not using the best oil for it just to save a few quid, seeing as it's not exactly wallet-breaking, and it's not something you're going to need to lay out on too often.

PG1's always like MTF94, 10/40 is never the same in my opinion, changed regularly or not. Certainly shifting is much improved with the proper stuff. :)

Even using MTF94, I'd still change it more than every 30k, though. Simple, cheap job which does wonders for a fairly fragile gearbox. :D

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Still, no point not using the best oil for it just to save a few quid, seeing as it's not exactly wallet-breaking, and it's not something you're going to need to lay out on too often.

PG1's always like MTF94, 10/40 is never the same in my opinion, changed regularly or not. Certainly shifting is much improved with the proper stuff. :)

Even using MTF94, I'd still change it more than every 30k, though. Simple, cheap job which does wonders for a fairly fragile gearbox. :D
Fragile gearbox? Since when, we're not talking about the R65 here.

The box was original spec'd for 10w/40 by Honda, Rover changed it to MTF94 for to make the box fill for life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replay guys, All i need to do now is find somone who sells it :)

I just needed to know the right oil As the box is from a 03 crashed car and only done 3000 miles so you see why i don't want to damage it

·
Registered
556 Posts
Fragile gearbox? Since when, we're not talking about the R65 here.
Since it was fitted to anything with a reasonable torque output, ie, T16 turbos and L-series turbodiesels. ;)

For the extra few quid, I see no sense at all in not putting MTF94 in there, for peace of mind, and my own personal experiences of just how much better the gearbox is filled with that rather than 10W/40. Would you put a low spec oil in your engine, knowing full well that there was a better option available for not much more. that would radically reduce wear, make everything smoother and more reliable? I'd hope not.

Let's put it this way, having stripped a few PG1 boxes which have been run on 10W/40 in my time, and some which have run on purely MTF94, I know that I wouldn't touch the lower spec oil unless for an emergency top up. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts