MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right, started doing all of the steps in the haynes manal and everything has gone really well untill i put the coolant in the last few steps. I went to turn the engine on and as i moved the key to the second stage(on the ignition) the car lights came on as if the main beam was selected from the stalk. Turning the stalk to main beam doesn't do anything now.

I took the bleed screw off when filling it up (and with the air intake off as well) some spilt over but mopped as much as i could see up.

I also have been having a problem with the rear washer not squirting water as the pipe broke where it goes into the boot lid (at the top by the hinge) which i have fixed, but i keep blowing the 15a fuse which runs the cooling fan and the rear wiper blades and washer motor... i changed this just before i started the car on the final attempt.
(this problem was another i was going to put in a seperate thread)

The car runs fine.. or seems to but havne't had it on long enough to get up to temperature or anything above idle....

I'm alittle worried about the lightes coming on... could some of the coolant run onto something that controls the lights?

Bit of a newbie when it comes to the technical side of things...

Any help? it would be appreciated

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just had antoher look..

The dipped lights come on only (along with the ones on the dash), and then when you turn the stalk to main they come on.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Sounds like a blown fuse,
On the bootlid where you have the washer pipe on the other side all the electric cables go through there, remove the rubber cover and examine the wiring. I bet it's got some bare wires that are shorting and blowing your fuses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the wiper fuse has been be playing up the last few days, and none of the times it has gone has lead tp the lights coming on in ignition position 2... it must be something to do with the changing of coolant..

I emptied the coolant, filled with water and ran the engine until hot.. no lights, emptied it and did it again and no lights.. filled up with coolant, and using the bleed screw to let the air in.. then started the car and the lights came on... very strange!?!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay something new...

I've just been and started the car again, and as i put the key into the second position there was a little click (fuse going) and then everything seemed normal except the RH sidelamp and taillight wasn't coming on, i replace the fuse F12 and it keeps blowing....

Not sure what to do now.. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
en2ah said:
Okay something new...

I've just been and started the car again, and as i put the key into the second position there was a little click (fuse going) and then everything seemed normal except the RH sidelamp and taillight wasn't coming on, i replace the fuse F12 and it keeps blowing....

Not sure what to do now.. any ideas?
Have you looked at the boot where the wiring goes through?
Any of the wires damaged?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My god...

To be honest i didn't expect any... BUT

Black
Orange
Pink
red/orange

Are all completley split

and Green/grey and purple/red are bare!

Don't understand.. everything was working fine until i did the coolant today?!?! why would this have broken.

Gonna have a closer look in my haynes manual to see what they are doing...

Thanks for the tips

How would i connect the split ones back together.. can you get some simple slim-line connectors? or will i have to solder them which will be a bitch!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
It won't be anything to do with the coolant change, it's just a coincidence.

You will need to pull the loom through from the boot so undo the connections in the boot first. Before you pull the wires through connect up a draw wire so when you want to pull the wires back it's nice and simple.
cut back the broken wire to a good section and put in a new section. I soldered mine and covered in some heat shrink tubing then warmed up to insulate the wires.
The soldered section I pushed up inside the bodywork so the new wire going through the hinge is thin and without any damage.
It's a good idea to smear the wires in some silicon grease to allow them to move freely inside the hinge.

HTH

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Amagoza...

Thanks for the help, will get on and see what i can do over the next few days...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
en2ah said:
Cheers Amagoza...

Thanks for the help, will get on and see what i can do over the next few days...
No problem,Take your time with it. It's one of those jobs you need to be patient.
Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Finally got round to sorting it out, had a go at a few of the wires and decided to call it a night. However when i re-connected the battery and got in just to start the car.. as i put the car into the second position the car started to beep at me, a continious 2 pitch noise. I pressed the unlock button on the key fob and all was well... i then got out the car and tried to lock the car but the alarm will not come on.. i have since un connected the battery again and reconnecting it after some time and it would even beep at me this time...? The light never comes on the dash (the immobilser\alarm light)....

So i can't lock the car now either with the key or the key fob.. the engine does start

I noticed that Fuse 1 in the engine fuse box has broken, but i read in my haynes manual this is for central locking, which i don't have, and can't seem to find it anywhere in the circuit diagrams in the manual? havn't replaced it yet incase i lose another of the few fuses i have left...

Fuse 3 in the passenger fuse box is ok.. have noticed it may be associated with the alarm from the ciruit diagrams

What has happened?

I hope its something simple that i don't know about...

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
en2ah said:
Finally got round to sorting it out, had a go at a few of the wires and decided to call it a night. However when i re-connected the battery and got in just to start the car.. as i put the car into the second position the car started to beep at me, a continious 2 pitch noise. I pressed the unlock button on the key fob and all was well... i then got out the car and tried to lock the car but the alarm will not come on.. i have since un connected the battery again and reconnecting it after some time and it would even beep at me this time...? The light never comes on the dash (the emmobilser\alarm light)....

So i can't lock the car now either with the key or the key fob.. the engine does start

I noticed that Fuse 1 in the engine fuse box has broken, but i read in my haynes manual this is for central locking, which i don't have, and can't seem to find it anywhere in the circuit diagrams in the manual? havn't replaced it yet incase i lose another of the few fuses i have left...

Fuse 3 in the passenger fuse box is ok.. have noticed it may be associated with the alarm from the ciruit diagrams

What has happened?

I hope its something simple that i don't know about...

This is a common immobiliser problem NB fuse 1 is immobiliser & CDL!. Replace the fuse, and replace the battery in the fob. Whilst the battery is out of the fob, press both buttons at least 10 times each!.

Lastly disconnect & reconnect the battery. press the fob repeatedly until the alarm sets, then the unlock until it de-sets. All should be well!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could the fuse have blown gone because of the wires in the back hinge shorting something, there is a think black cable (which i presume is the earth) that is split in the hinge (among quite a few others) that i need to fix...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yep it will be the wires creating a short circuit and blowing the fuses. This leading onto the other problems.
Once you've got the wires fixed you can then make sure all the fuses are ok and the problems should all be fixed.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I had to change the boot loom the other week...

Don't forget that in that loom runs:
Rear heater
Rear Wash/ Wipe
High level Brake Light
Central locking motor
Boot Switch (open/ closed)

If it's knackered you could end up with various bizare problems...

I had the rear heater light flashing and the rear wiper blade going when ever I braked!!

The silicone grease is a good idea. I used dielectric grease. It's non-conductive silicone grease rated for electrical stuff. Very slippery, but doesn't run. Any grease should do though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phew.... Finished it last night at about 10:30... it was cold and very dark.. not too easy to solder two wires together with a torch in your mouth.. but i did it.. and a good job too i hope.

And guess what.. everything now works!!! i was extremely relieved...

Drove it in this morning with no fuses blowing.. makes a change i must admit...

No for the first time since i had the car (about 4 months) there is nothing wrong with it.. doesn't feel right.

Thanks to those who helped me.. i have come to rely on this website quite a lot and i always get answer that help me fix my car..

Thanks very much..

Just one more little niggly thing tho... the boot light has never worked on my car.. yet when i started to play with the broken wires i must have touched two together and the boot light suddenly came on.. but now all the wires are soldered together it doesn't work.. i'm not too bothered about getting it to work but it would be nice!

Is it supposed to come on when the boot is opened or is the switch on the parcel shelf so it comes on when you lift that up (like some other cars)?
The glove box light also doesn't work.. not sure if they are linked at all... neither have ever worked.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
en2ah said:
Phew.... Finished it last night at about 10:30... it was cold and very dark.. not too easy to solder two wires together with a torch in your mouth.. but i did it.. and a good job too i hope.

And guess what.. everything now works!!! i was extremely relieved...

Drove it in this morning with no fuses blowing.. makes a change i must admit...

No for the first time since i had the car (about 4 months) there is nothing wrong with it.. doesn't feel right.

Thanks to those who helped me.. i have come to rely on this website quite a lot and i always get answer that help me fix my car..

Thanks very much..

Just one more little niggly thing tho... the boot light has never worked on my car.. yet when i started to play with the broken wires i must have touched two together and the boot light suddenly came on.. but now all the wires are soldered together it doesn't work.. i'm not too bothered about getting it to work but it would be nice!

Is it supposed to come on when the boot is opened or is the switch on the parcel shelf so it comes on when you lift that up (like some other cars)?
The glove box light also doesn't work.. not sure if they are linked at all... neither have ever worked.
Glad to help, saves a lot of time and head scratching this forum good isn't it?
You might want to check the connections to the bulb itself incase they need a clean. Might be the bulb itself has blown and just needs replacing.
Just think no more fuses to keep replacing!:cloud9:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I used plenty of electrical tape... should be ok for a good while.. made sure i over lapped the wire by about 15mm on each side.. was going to use shrink rap but couldn't get hold of any and needed to get the job done quickley as i have to drive down to bath tomorrow..

I haven't check the boot light yet but as i said when i first started playing with the broken wires the light came on.. it didn't go out until i moved the wires apart, it didn't seem to blow...

Will check to confirm and report back later....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just thought, i have read somewhere else on this site that a light comes on the dash when the boot is open.... I can't say i have noticed this? if there should be would this indicate a problem with the switch the boot triggers when it opens..?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts