MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i asked the question a while back about the breather pipe going into the inlet manifold and espeacially after seeing the state of an intake i took off an sdi the other week that had done 176000miles, that much crap in there probably causing a 25-30% restriction in air flow.

I decided i best find a solution to help try and clean things up on the inlet manifold side of things so i bought one of these off 'Evil bay!' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....y=140116399522&category0=&Submit=Search&fvi=1

Think Phil/ZSnut has done something similar using another expansion tank but since i saw this kit includes everything required for the instalation and looking quite bling to go with it, don't think its a bad price considering the work gone into produceing the polished alloy tank and it includes the breather filter.

Hopefully once installed and the inlet manifold pipe work and intercooler cleaned should totally sort things and reduce the need for stripping down the inlet side of things on a regular basis, might even reduce the amount of smoke produced due to less crap been burnt!

Will let you all know how it goes once fitted.

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Depending on how you install it you may notice alot more oil "consumption" with the catch tank fitted. Of course you can simply empty this oil back into the engine but it is worth bearing in mind.

The crud in the inlet manifold comes from the EGR system carbonising the oil in the crankcase vapours, so simply blocking that off will eliminate the thick black muddy deposits that build up.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on how you install it you may notice alot more oil "consumption" with the catch tank fitted. Of course you can simply empty this oil back into the engine but it is worth bearing in mind.
I can live with topping up the oil, seems a small price to pay for a clean inlet manifold,intercooler etc.

My EGR valve is long gone, replaced with blanking plates with what appears to be no ill effects up to now.

Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Its me who has one fitted, but its not as blingy as yours! Mines made from an ultra hight quality baked been can!!!:scary:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Well i asked the question a while back about the breather pipe going into the inlet manifold and espeacially after seeing the state of an intake i took off an sdi the other week that had done 176000miles, that much crap in there probably causing a 25-30% restriction in air flow.

I decided i best find a solution to help try and clean things up on the inlet manifold side of things so i bought one of these off 'Evil bay!' http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....y=140116399522&category0=&Submit=Search&fvi=1

Think Phil/ZSnut has done something similar using another expansion tank but since i saw this kit includes everything required for the instalation and looking quite bling to go with it, don't think its a bad price considering the work gone into produceing the polished alloy tank and it includes the breather filter.

Hopefully once installed and the inlet manifold pipe work and intercooler cleaned should totally sort things and reduce the need for stripping down the inlet side of things on a regular basis, might even reduce the amount of smoke produced due to less crap been burnt!

Will let you all know how it goes once fitted.

Cheers, Mark.
The inlet (or at least the hose) diameter doesn't look big enough, standard one's about 15mm ID iirc, that looks less than 10.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My apologies Jim! I was half way there with the 'ZS' bit! sorry for misplacing the credit where its due baked bean tin or no baked bean tin???!!

Either way do you think its worth it have you blanked off the EGR aswell? if so has it cleaned things up at all exhaust wise without any negative side effects?

@ Kamal i see what your saying but the standard pipe is quite think in its wall and i recon that internally it will be about the same as the pipe that is supplied either way i'm sure i'll make it fit one way or another!!

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
No negative effects except as I just let it vent to atmosphere, when its very cold and damp and the wind is behind you, you get faint wisps of steam comming from under the car every time you stop!
The main reason I fitted it was my boost pipes were getting wet with oil that was been foced through them, and the intercooler was awash with oil! Now the pipes and intercooler are bone dry and very clean. I thought about getting a section of clear perspex pipe so whenever I was doing under bonnet checks I could see if there were any oil traces which would indicate that the turbo seels were failing, but I haven't. I think you'll find that it will give you a slight decrease in smoke when your flat out as the air going into the engine will be pure and not tainted with exhaust fumes from the engine. I think you'll find that whats collected will be quite disgusting stuff, and hopefully you'll agree with me that thats not nice stuff to make your engine breathe! My EGR is just disconnected at the moment, as on mine its water cooled so I've been putting off removing it!
Jim

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Oh Mark, I forgot to mention, when my catch tank was a bought one it was kicking a fare amount of smoke out of the breather, same as my initial home made one, but the one I have now doesn't. If your thinking of allowing your to vent to atmosphere, you might find that your catchtank still allows smoke through. However yours is a different design to the one I had (mine was round).
Jim
EDIT! just looked at the one you bought, and thats designed to vent to atmos? (bit hard to understand!), so you might well be ok!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hi Mark, I have been thinking about doing this for a long time but just kept putting it back down the list in favour of performance mods. The ZS 180 guys have a similar thing going on with the the VIS motors??? packing in cos of contamination and sticky throttles sometimes occur from it too, so i've been looking at buying one of the ones that all the 180 guys go for. The sticking throttles thing won't affect us but it'll certainly keep the charge system a lot cleaner and possibly cooler too as you won't have hot oily fumes beeing chucked back in the induction pipe.

Can you let me now how it all works out and effects everthing mate? I'll be doing similar once i've stopped buying all the go faster parts.

Cheers,

Phil.

·
Registered
rover_400_95_99
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Mark, I have been thinking about doing this for a long time but just kept putting it back down the list in favour of performance mods. The ZS 180 guys have a similar thing going on with the the VIS motors??? packing in cos of contamination and sticky throttles sometimes occur from it too, so i've been looking at buying one of the ones that all the 180 guys go for. The sticking throttles thing won't affect us but it'll certainly keep the charge system a lot cleaner and possibly cooler too as you won't have hot oily fumes beeing chucked back in the induction pipe.

Can you let me now how it all works out and effects everthing mate? I'll be doing similar once i've stopped buying all the go faster parts.

Cheers,

Phil.
No problem Phil should have it installed before cosford so you can have a look at it then and let you know how it proforming.

Cheers, Mark.

·
Registered
rover_75_tourer
302 Posts
Thats different i run a oil catch tank on my drag bike as it revs to about 13k and to be honest it can get about a quarter full after a days racing but i am running stupid amounts of compression so crankcase pressure to match but ive never seen one on a car but can see the advantage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts