MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Some of you may know about my efforts to tidy up my Rover 220SD with the shocking paint work.

Well, as much as it may sadden some diesel fans (and thanks to all those diesel guys who helped me out), its now been passed on.

I was browsing around thinking of buying another rover 200 in better shape, especially seen as mine would cost so much to fix up, and found one on the net in very good condition for a 1998 in metalic silver for £400.

It was the only 218 iS anywhere to be seen on ebay/auto trader, and even though it was in reading (3 hour train ride) I decided to go look at it, and managed to take it away for £350. It's done 90k miles, and other than slight rusting around the wheel arches looks in pretty good shape other than minor paint scuffs which I'm tackling one by one, FAR better than the 220.

Insurance is £200 cheaper on this for some crazy reason o_O, drives well and is much more powerful and responsive than my diesel. First petrol I've ever owned and I think I've made the right decision... please don't hate me diesel lovers, as I loved my 220, but I like the quietness and non bone shaking startup / turn off of the petrol, as well as it moving when I tell it to move rather than the 2 second delay I had before (which I know could probably have been fixed)

I managed to sell my 220SD to a friend of mine who needed his first car for £400. Got my leather seats and sound system out though, not going to give those away xD.

Anyhow, what I want to know is whether or not I got myself a good deal, what to look for fault wise, and what simple mods would be recommended. It's very quick as it is anyway compared to what I'm used to, got onto the motorway from the slip road before realizing it was still in second :O would have been in at least 4th in my diesel lol. I was thinking induction kit, fit that exhaust I got for the 220, and maybe decat. What do you think?

Also, any information on how ECU driven this car is would be very helpful, as I've got a few ideas on developing my own fuel management system that would give better fuel economy and power, in theory. Don't want to mess up what's already there, though.

I haven't got any pics of the car just yet, will sort that when its been cleaned properly :)

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Keep an eye on that head gasket now your using the K-series rather than the L :p

Decat will have very little if any performance gain I'm sure, so wouldn't bother with that.

90k is a fair few miles, has the head been done in the past? If it hasn't, I'd most certainly keep an eye on it. The don't all go but the further they get past 70k the more worried I'd be - especially if you don't know its history.

Sounds like a good buy though if the engine is sound. Can't wait to see your modding efforts on it!

Shame you got rid of the red'un though, I loved that colour :(

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice there, I'll not bother with the decat then :p will save me money at least

Shame you got rid of the red'un though, I loved that colour :(
I know, so did I... although a point to make is that each part of the car is a different variation on that colour xD. I didnt like the idea of silver but the bright shiny metalic silver on this one is definately growing on me.

Don't worry, I'll be continuing on with the mods however, good news is now i don't have to spend so much time and money getting the outside tidy as this one is pretty good, I can actually spend time on the inside.

Can anybody give me an idea on what needs to be done to upgrade to vented disks and how much it's likely to cost?

I just drove around for 5 minutes and burnt my finger on the disk when checking to see how hot it was, a mechanic says it may well be warped or at least have the calipers sticking on so something could need replacing anyway. Steering wheel also vibrates harshly when braking above 30mph or so. Any thoughts? :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts