MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right,

Just been to dealers cause the gearbox is sticking on the gate a little. Ive been told that at the moment they will not honour any warrenty work of any kind. Or supply parts ordered on a warrenty basis. They can also not sell any of the new cars. Not looking good is it :(

Soo gearbox. Anyone know why it might be sticking?

·
Registered
30,859 Posts
i think there totally full of poo! they will fix your gear box but i rekon youll just have to wait til everything is sorted out for them to do so. in the meantime ask scarlet!

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Not 100% sure of the changes they made to the TF gearbox, but...

Possibilities

1 ) May be as simple as the pivot mechanism under the gear lever needing a bit of lubrication. The pivot uses plastic bearings / bushes and a bit of grease every now and then works wonders.

2 ) May be a sticking gear selector cable, there are two of them and one is involved with the left to right motion of the lever, the other is involved with the forwards / backwards motion. Is it sticking in any particular direction? Or is it more specific (like problems getting into say 2nd?)

3 ) At the end of the gear cables at the gearbox is a bracket arrangement known as the bell crank. This is exposed, as are the connections on the end of the cables - it is possible that some dirt has gotten into the bearings here and this is causing your sticking problems.

4 ) There was a batch of TFs delivered with low gearbox oil - no way to check this easily (there isn't a dipstick for instance), but this could cause the symptoms you describe. To check gearbox oil level, take off passenger side road wheel, then ensure the car is level (not easy when it is on a jack!) Find the bolt that plugs the gearbox oil filler hole, remove and then top up with oil (until it overspills - the hole is at the correct level).

5 ) Could be more serious - related to clutch / cogs etc.

At a guess, my money is on 3 or 4.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had my gearbox rebuilt under warranty a few months ago as the 1st/2nd sychro was shot.

Don't know whether it's the same symptom as yours but I had to really force it into gear from neutral into first and second.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hmmm, ok after reading this im now wondering.
Straffs: Mentioned about having to force it into 1st + 2nd gear. Mine is similar, i wouldn say force but it certainly is not smooth. If your slightly rolling (with clutch down) it goes into 1st quite easy. Where is if your at a stand still it is a bit of a chore to get into 1st. Usually requires a bit of force. Thing is though my previous F was also like this, although not quite as bad, i just guessed it was because it was still quite new (03 with 20k on clock). Also its been in the garage so many times that i was thinking that the amount of times theu have driven it that surely they would have noticed it and said something.
So, are these gearboxes nothch and a bit stiff or is it just me?
Ta.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe I used the wrong word when I wrote "force" it into gear. I had to push into first and pull it into second and and in both gears there was resistance to engaging, moreso first than second.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hmmm, dam you!!! Youve made me paranoid now lol!
Dont think i can take anymore probs with this car, but i still love it to bits, just want to drive it a bit more than the dealer lol.

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
Mine need a bit of pushing and pulling sometimes, but as you said, my F was the same so didnt think it was anything to worry about, still not going to worry :minxy:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the exact same problem as you. Took it too the garage twice, they said no fault. Anyway got my dad to take a look and add a bit of lubricant as scarlet says in point 1.

All OK now. That is a bummer about the warrenty not been honoured. Are the prices of our cars guna hit rock bottom. I am a little worried about rover..

AD

·
Green Goddess
7,619 Posts
That is a bummer about the warrenty not been honoured. Are the prices of our cars guna hit rock bottom. I am a little worried about rover..

AD[/QUOTE]

Our cars will be collectors items!! :minxy:

·
Registered
mg_tf
323 Posts
Just taken my TF in for some warranty work. The dealer (Farnells) say they are continuing with warranty claims until told otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts