MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a rover 75 conn se 2.0ltr 94000 miles

It had a 90000 mile service last year including cam belt change at a x dealer. 2 months later it had starting problems it was the cam senser.

Last week cooling fan packed inn, can get for arounf £210 & fit myself.

Tues auto box occasionally goes into neutral & back into gear had to take into x dealer.

They just got back to me and quoted
New gear box, box control, cooling fan, oil etc £2820.00

I need a second opion i live near nuneaton, warwickshire, how can i find out if the box has gone or the oil just needs changing or just the control for the gearbox. please help.

Many thanks in advance
ian

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Struth that quote brings tears to your eyes.

Can you break it down a bit - Fan ? Gearbox ??

Suggest you get hold of Lates (a member on this forum who is a trusted expert on the 75) for an HONEST second opinion. He is in the Coventry area. You could send him an E mail or personal message via this forum.

I know very little about the internals of an Auto Box (although I have one myself) but I did read a thread here recently about clutches breaking up in the box and being repaired by a company in the South for about £500.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the breakdown is the following
new gearbox
new gear box electronic control
new cooling fan
new cooling fan blades
oil for gear box etc
labour
vat

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok ill try, cause when he was telling me i was a bit shocked.
gear box & gear box control fitted including labour £2330.00
cooling fan & fan blades £467.00 including labour
oil £23
still shocked

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
ok ill try, cause when he was telling me i was a bit shocked.
gear box & gear box control fitted including labour £2330.00
cooling fan & fan blades £467.00 including labour
oil £23
still shocked
Can understand the shocked bit - I would be too !

These sound like main dealer prices which are always likley to be at the top of the range even if the diagnosis is correct.

First thing is to get the diagnosis confirmed and I think the general consencus so far is that Lates is your man for that.

On the assumption that the fan has gone you say you can do it yourself. It is a bumper off job but not that difficult. Fan motors etc are available from SMC Trading on E Bay who again are trusted suppliers. Fan blades are about £30/£40 and I think I saw a set from SMC at £30 + post yesterday.

Re con autoboxes can be had from reputable places for £1200/£1500.

So the price, assuming correct diagnosis, has come down already. And remember that the gearbox problem may be a change of fluid (£50 appx inc fluid. Was it done at 60k miles as schedule? ) or the clutches which are a known weak spot.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks a lot for your replies
will let you know how i get on going to pickup the car later today
thanks
ian

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had a similar gearbox fault to yours. It would hold gear till the power got to a certain level then slip into neutral. If I took my foot off the accelerator, when the speed dropped, the car goes back into gear.

It turned out to be a cracked control piston. I paid 1500 (inc VAT) for the box to be removed, reconned and installed.

Other people paid half that for the similar job. I had two quotes at the same price.

good luck

cheers

ian

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Auto Box

Ian,

Was just having a browse on E Bay and came across this item :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:uk

Might be worth checking out if diagnosis of your auto box is terminal
That should be worth persuing. They seem to indicate that they have other boxes.
I have personally spoken to the Co. that replaced the cracked clutch cylinder for a member at a cost of £500-£600 (part now modified by Jatco, was weak point)
JR Transmissions, Farnborough Tel:- 01252 548337

1 - 14 of 14 Posts