MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:spanner:
Does anyone know what the effects would be if when doing an engine flush using the wynns stuff not doing it for the full amount of time?

Weird question I know :eyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
as long as you didnt cut it too short its ok but if you did the carbon that has been picked up can get trapped in the outlet valve ports this can be solved by a good thrashing (seriously)

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This makes sense now as my car seems to be displaying symptons of sticking valves, which started after an engine flush. Would it be worth doin another engine flush to get rid of any crud that may be floating about :confused:

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Why in the heck did you cut it short? It would of negated the whole point of doing it in the first place. Your oil is now likely full of crap that was not removed in the flush, but was loosened and is now clogging up your oil.
Do it again and this time do it properly. After that put some cheapo oil in for a few hundred miles then change it again with decent oil and a new filter.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
sounds like a good idea to me

last dirty engine i serviced i used comma engine flush - add it to the old oil - run it for a bit - then drain the whole lot out and refill with fresh.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Are you supposed to drive the car around with the flush stuff added to the oil for 'xx' amount of time or just let it idle for 'xx' amount of time??

Just thinking as if you are diriving it around and pushing hard then the pressure in the engine would build up much more and hence the oil should flow around more (and faster) and hence help the flush do the job a lot better......

or not???

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Vincero said:
Are you supposed to drive the car around with the flush stuff added to the oil for 'xx' amount of time or just let it idle for 'xx' amount of time??

Just thinking as if you are diriving it around and pushing hard then the pressure in the engine would build up much more and hence the oil should flow around more (and faster) and hence help the flush do the job a lot better......

or not???
No you are NOT supposed to drive around with the stuff in your oil!
It will thin the oil too much and reduce it's effectiveness. Even when you have drained all of it out and refilled with new oil some will still remain in the engine and will thin the new oil in the engine that's why I suggest filling with cheap oil and then refilling with decent oil after a few hundred miles though it's not entirely necessary.

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
I think I'll just stick with:

1) drain oil
2) fill with cheap oil
3) run for 20-30 minutes, stationary or on road
4) drain oil, change filter
5) fill with better oil
6) repeat from step 1 after 5000 miles.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Vincero said:
I think I'll just stick with:

1) drain oil
2) fill with cheap oil
3) run for 20-30 minutes, stationary or on road
4) drain oil, change filter
5) fill with better oil
6) repeat from step 1 after 5000 miles.
Eh... and what will that acheive? What's the point of putting cheap oil in if your not gonna flush it first?

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
Cheap oil runs through and gets all the dirty oil and crap left behind when draining the old oil. Method actually works quite well - the intermediate oil comes out almost just as dirty as the old oil that was in there. Besides, not too sure about adding stuff to oil which reduces its effectiveness and aims to get it more dirty in one sitting.
After refilling the oil again with the decent stuff and putting too much in, had to take sump plug off again and drain some out and quite surprised to see it come out nearly the same colour as it went in - a shame its not like that after 5000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts