MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few days my car when having been in slow moving traffic for about 10 minutes becomes difficult when pulling away, the symptons are as below

(1) When letting clutch up it seems car wants to stall but usually I can prevennt this by putting on more revs

(2) Judder from clutch

The above usually clear themselves after about 5 mins of normal driving until I have to park car at work.

Any ideas of what may be causing this

Thanks

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
It could be a leaky gearbox (or less likely crankshaft) oil seal; a little oil seeps onto the clutch plate and causes your symptoms but then burns off with friction until more is deposited onto the surface. This is a fairly common problem with cars of this age (assuming it's your R400). Left untreated the problem will simply get worse and the vibration could end up damaging your engine/gearbox mountings.

If this is the case the only cure is to have the clutch replaced and to have the crankshaft and gearbox seals inspected/replaced. If the gearbox seal is faulty it's normally worth draining and replacing the gearbox oil as well as the seal failure is often caused by a loose bit of metal swarf in the oil.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, tried to have a look tonight could not see any oil leaking from a quick visual inspection. How many hours labour would I be looking at re replacement gearbox seal and cam seal? So I can work out the likely costs and see if its time for the car to me moved on taking into account the other problem I have with my car

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=127473

Thanks

BTW car is a Rover 416 and clutch was replaced aprox 30,000 miles ago at 72,000 miles

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
I don't know what the book time is for this job but on the assumption that the clutch may need replacing get a few quotes. Ask how much extra to check and replace the gearbox input shaft seal and the rear crankshaft seal. There's very little extra labour involved other than popping the flywheel off and that's only needed if it seems that the crank seal has gone. The seals themselves are quite cheap so shouldn't add much to the job. BTW- unless these are leaking really badly then you're not going to see clear evidence of it without removing the gearbox from the engine.

Only you can judge the economic worth. The other problem you have (intermittent squeaky suspension) is one of those things that can happen to any used car and the same goes for the clutch problem. In isolation, if the rest of the car is all good and the alternator/starter/other high cost consumables have already been replaaced recently then I'd bite the bullet and get the problems fixed. It can be a lot less hassle and cost when you consider how time consuming and awkward it is to look for another car. Some may say that at 102000 miles you should get shot of the car as more problems may soon arise but it's not worth much and probably doesn't really owe you anything. On that basis it's like any older car; you may end up spending a bit more on regular maintenance but you'll save on having to splash out a much larger amount for a decent lower maintenance replacement, especially if you have to take out a loan to finance another car.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obertelli said:
I don't know what the book time is for this job but on the assumption that the clutch may need replacing get a few quotes. Ask how much extra to check and replace the gearbox input shaft seal and the rear crankshaft seal. There's very little extra labour involved other than popping the flywheel off and that's only needed if it seems that the crank seal has gone. The seals themselves are quite cheap so shouldn't add much to the job. BTW- unless these are leaking really badly then you're not going to see clear evidence of it without removing the gearbox from the engine.

Only you can judge the economic worth. The other problem you have (intermittent squeaky suspension) is one of those things that can happen to any used car and the same goes for the clutch problem. In isolation, if the rest of the car is all good and the alternator/starter/other high cost consumables have already been replaaced recently then I'd bite the bullet and get the problems fixed. It can be a lot less hassle and cost when you consider how time consuming and awkward it is to look for another car. Some may say that at 102000 miles you should get shot of the car as more problems may soon arise but it's not worth much and probably doesn't really owe you anything. On that basis it's like any older car; you may end up spending a bit more on regular maintenance but you'll save on having to splash out a much larger amount for a decent lower maintenance replacement, especially if you have to take out a loan to finance another car.
Thanks for your reply, the only other thing I have yet had to replace is the starter motor. Will most likely keep the car as any replacement will cost me £2000 to £4000 which buys a lot of repairs.

Just anoyed that it all seems to come at once and when I am busy o well that's life

:err:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts