MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
G

·
He looked very drained. I think this guy does care and has tried very very hard. You never see John Edwards or Nick Stephenson much on the TV

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said basically that there will be some way of going forward with the business, in a different form, given the amount of dedication there is from the workforce, the unions, the management and the DTI.

And he did look very, very weary. Certainly did not come across as arrogant.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Serge Jonkers said:
what did he say??
'Bugger'

No seriously, he didn't blame anyone but himself, he says things aren't over and he holds out hope they can make something out of the 'core of the business'.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
He was honest. When asked "Is it your fault?" he just said, "Well yes I suppose". Was very upbeat and positive a resolution would come.

G

·
I think he is a very genuine guy and deserves our respect for saving MG Rover for at least the last 5 years and perhaps beyond. No one on this board was willing or could have done what he has done.

Please have respect for this caring man

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
To be honest, for him to say what he said, and look as drained as he did, I would say that he's been spending the last few hours persuading the Chinese to come back to the table and buy the remnants.

Interesting that the BMW loan gets written off! Some good comes out of it!!!

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
dan-mgtf said:
Towers message to the workers

"keep going"

why so they can fill his nice little pension nest egg more
FFS, I'm getting fed up of this Anti-P4 crap that gets posted. If they didn't care, why are they runing around like flies trying to rescue the company. If they didn't care, they'd be off sunning themselves in the carribean.

G

·
SteveChilds said:
FFS, I'm getting fed up of this Anti-P4 crap that gets posted. If they didn't care, why are they runing around like flies trying to rescue the company. If they didn't care, they'd be off sunning themselves in the carribean.
I fully agree

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
JT has been Rover Group for Yonks as far as I know. Wasn't he involved in the original BMW takeover?

Perhaps he sees this as his moral duty to patch things up again and I can't help but feel sorry for the guy, he has just seen everything he has worked for over the last 5 years fall apart literally overnight.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Aha! There was a Lib Dem Councillor in the Visitors centre who they interviewed. He was focussing on the positives and said that as the company is in Administration, the process means that when it comes out of the other side, all liabilities will be removed/cleared/wiped/absolved! He said that if the Chinese pulled out of the deal because of liabilities hanging over the accounts, then MGR will be infinitely more attractive to them after Administration....

The other negative was that pensions/redundancy legislation only covers a full bankruptcy, so it might still be cheaper for SAIC to buy it and wind it up completely, removing the technology they want.

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,496 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
JT has been Rover Group for Yonks as far as I know. Wasn't he involved in the original BMW takeover?

Perhaps he sees this as his moral duty to patch things up again and I can't help but feel sorry for the guy, he has just seen everything he has worked for over the last 5 years fall apart literally overnight.
John Towers flew over to Japan and begged Honda to buy Rover from BAE, BAE gave Towers the time and said if a similair offer was forthcoming, Honda would get the company, Honda were half interested, but would only take a 49% stake in Rover. In the end BMW ended up with Rover.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
dan-mgtf said:
Towers message to the workers

"keep going"

why so they can fill his nice little pension nest egg more
Has anyone else noticed how the trolls have REALLY started coming out of the woodwork in the last month?

Laugh it up dan-mgtf...MGR aint dead yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bazzer_Mcbead said:
7th April 2004 10.15pm - The day the British Car Industry became another page in a History Book.

Still hanging on...
Come on Mr McBead - at least try and get your years right. We are in 2005 now.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts