MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
More great news from JLR, though this paragraph is worth highlighting, "Sources familiar with the situation say the company is exploring plans to double the size of the plant by developing on surrounding land. This will represent an investment of around £100m, although the proposals are thought to be at a relatively early stage."

·
Registered
rover_45
952 Posts
will be good if they go ahead with it...

but this bit sounds a bit of a let down

"Under chief executive Ralf Speth and Indian parent Tata, JLR is investing more than £1bn a year into research and development. It wants to launch 40 new vehicles in the next five years, including a Jaguar sports car and a new Land Rover Defender.
The company is in talks with Chinese car maker Chery about a joint venture that would allow JLR to open manufacturing facilities in China for the domestic market. The car maker is also exploring how it can work more closely with British schools in order to boost the number of engineering graduates. "

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
will be good if they go ahead with it...

"Under chief executive Ralf Speth and Indian parent Tata, JLR is investing more than £1bn a year into research and development. It wants to launch 40 new vehicles in the next five years, including a Jaguar sports car and a new Land Rover Defender.
The company is in talks with Chinese car maker Chery about a joint venture that would allow JLR to open manufacturing facilities in China for the domestic market. The car maker is also exploring how it can work more closely with British schools in order to boost the number of engineering graduates. "
if they want to expand to compete with bmw worldwide they need to operate in other countries. anyhting thats good for JLR is good for everyone in the end.

China is a massive market and to sell well there they need to make the cars there to get around the restrictive import duties

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
How did Tata succeed and Ford fail? I don't understand, it should have been the other way around. Ford had Jaguar/Land Rover in the boom years too.

·
Registered
rover_45
952 Posts
tata doesnt have unions where thier core is,, india and are a cash rich entity, seeing as the group also does alot of comercial vehicles and also has fingers in the whole supply chain from mining/recycling steel,

hence why they will be good partners with chery automotive in china, for profits atleast

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Ford also got the formula wrong with Jaguar for a long time. Aside from a few energy cost related hiccups, Land Rover was fairly profitable for Ford, it was the car side of the business that always struggled. The retro designs were just never what the market wanted. A lot of the sudden boom is due to Jaguar's cutting edge new look, combined with the appropriate extension of the Land Rover/Range Rover brands.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts

Im confused why you think that?....because they want to sell cars in china?

·
Registered
rover_45
952 Posts
mainly because i think launching 40 new models in 5 yrs is a tad excessive and unrealistic from a design company that cant even get its much lauded Nano right and selling sucessfully in its home market..
and im not over convinced they will pull of a Defender remodel well either,

the tie in with chery will work, but i fully expect chery to screw them over on the design front, ie expect " copies" to start appearing,, chery have been chasing a back door into the european and american market for years. but the build quality just hasnt been there

that and i fear that the uk car industry will end up just being a glorified kit car industry,, building kits made elseware, just so they can have the made in britain tag

yeah im a tad paranoid, but then its not without reason.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
mainly because i think launching 40 new models in 5 yrs is a tad excessive and unrealistic from a design company that cant even get its much lauded Nano right and selling sucessfully in its home market..
and im not over convinced they will pull of a Defender remodel well either,

the tie in with chery will work, but i fully expect chery to screw them over on the design front, ie expect " copies" to start appearing,, chery have been chasing a back door into the european and american market for years. but the build quality just hasnt been there

that and i fear that the uk car industry will end up just being a glorified kit car industry,, building kits made elseware, just so they can have the made in britain tag

yeah im a tad paranoid, but then its not without reason.
you realise Tata motors and JLR are separate entities in terms of vehicle
40 models across JLR will not be designed by tata, they will be designed in the midlands by Jaguar Land Rover engineers.

The tax on the Chinese importing cars means that your average Jaguar XF would cost over £100,000 for a Chinese customer. A car manufactured in china could be sold in the Chinese market at a "normal" price.

how is doubling capacity in anyway related to turning the uk into a kit assembling plant?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
JLR distances itself from Telegraph article, local paper sceptical

The Liverpool Post reports, "However, the claims are understood to have led to puzzlement within the car manufacturer, which declined to comment in detail. Instead, it issued a short statement in response which said: “JLR has not made any announcements about Halewood Operations, and we do not comment on speculation about possible future plans.”"

The Post is sceptical for the following reasons:
The JLR staff required to work over Christmas were based at Solihull, not Halewood.
* With 3,000 staff, the plant is now working at near full capacity so it is unlikely hundreds more would be required. In fact, 70 temporary staff left before Christmas.
* Physical expansion is hard as it the factory is boxed in (by a mainline railway, A-road, Getrag Ford factory and supply park).

See: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-local/2012/01/04/jaguar-land-rover-plays-down-reports-of-100m-expansion-and-1-500-new-jobs-92534-30056229/#ixzz1iXVztNqE

My view is that the Telegraph's source may have seen one of those many multi-scenario internal documents that every company produces, but long-term, some of the barriers to expansion could be overcome. However, the strapline in the Telegraph's article, "in a major boost to the Coalition's drive to rebalance the economy" makes me wonder if they were prepared to run with the story due to their political allegiances. I hope this is not the case and JLR are just doing their homework before making any announcements.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure how JLR could do a tie up with cherry seeing as the Chinese Government has announced they're going to block or at least severely limit foreign investment in auto manufacturing in China...

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/1173950/1/.html
From what I've read online JLR may have to agree to take 50% of a new venture with Cherry producing other cars under another brand name. Rover any one? They may also have to build an engine plant there.

Given the existing popularity of JLR cars in China I suspect they may well agree.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chery own Volvo so they have a seat at the dining table, they don't need to come in through the front or back door. Since taking Volvo over, staff numbers have risen significantly at the company.
Geely own Volvo

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
From what I've read online JLR may have to agree to take 50% of a new venture with Cherry producing other cars under another brand name. Rover any one? They may also have to build an engine plant there.

Given the existing popularity of JLR cars in China I suspect they may well agree.
and the bring back rover thread emerges again

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
and the bring back rover thread emerges again
If JLR have to take a 50 percent stake in a new Chinese based car brand that competes in the premium sector then it may make sense to offer the Rover brand. Firstly with a 50 % share they have an incentive to make it work so the Rover brand would sit nicely below Jaguar but in the Volvo sector of the Market. it would also fit nicely in Land Rover dealers.

It would trip SAICs Roewe brand up in China and it would not need to rely on western sales to build critical mass/ profit. Added bonus would be that it would never compete with Jag but would go up against new competition. Finally the brand is known in Europe and can build on it's links to Range Rover. So a gradual rebuild in Europe would Likely occur more quickly than with a lesser known brand such as Smart, infinity, Lexus, insert other failed brand here.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts