MG-Rover.org Forums banner

JD Power Survey 2006 - Results - Where MG Rover Cars Came

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  xerif 
#1 · (Edited)
Well the 2006 JD Power Results are out - it looks like What Car outbid Top Gear for them this year, as they appear in the August 2006 edition of What Car, which is out now. It surveys cars produced between September 2003 and August 2004. Interestingly, JD Power categorise the Rover 75/MG ZT as an Executive Car - where it should be placed, but usually isn't.

One shock entry into the Top 30 - The Fiat Panda at number 22.

I've tried to summarise it as best as I could.

Where MG Rover Products Came?
Rover 25 / MG ZR - 92nd place out of 105
Above average for Mechanical reliability
Below average for Interior quality
Below average for exterior quality
Average for vehicle performance
Below average for vehicle interior appeal
Average for vehicle exterior appeal
Average for dealer service
Below average for ownership costs

Rover 45 / MG ZS - 76th place out of 105
Average for Mechanical reliability
Average for Interior quality
Above average for exterior quality
Below average for vehicle performance
Below average for vehicle interior appeal
Above average for dealer service
Below average for ownership costs

Rover 75 / MG ZT - 39th place out of 105 (51st place, last year)
Average for Mechanical reliability
Average for Interior quality
Average for exterior quality
Average for vehicle performance
Average for vehicle interior appeal
Below average for dealer service
Above average for ownership costs

Manufacturer League Table - MG Rover came 25th out of 30

The Rover 25 / MG ZR beat the Citroen C3, Daewoo Kalos, Citroen C2 and Ford Ka.
The Rover 45 / MG ZS beat the Nissan Almera, Renault Megane, Citroen Xsara, Alfa Romeo 147, Kia Rio, Fiat Stilo and Peugeot 307
The Rover 75 / MG ZT beat the BMW 5 Series, Jaguar X-Type, Vauxhall Signum, Saab 9-3 and Alfa Romeo 156.

Top 20 Models
1 = Lexus IS
2 = Honda Jazz
3 = Suzuki Liana
4 = Honda Accord
5 = Toyota Yaris
5 = Skoda Octavia
7 = Honda Civic
7 = Toyota Avensis
9 = Toyota Corolla
10 = Jaguar S-Type
11 = Skoda Fabia
11 = BMW 3 Series
13 = Kia Sorento
13 = Subaru Forester
15 = Volkswagen Bora
16 = Honda CR-V
17 = Volvo V70
17 = Toyota RAV4
19 = Hyundai Getz
19 = Volvo S60

Bottom 20 Models
105 = Ford Galaxy
104 = Peugeot 307
103 = Ford Focus C-MAX
102 = Fiat Stilo
100 = Land Rover Discovery
100 = Ford KA
99 = Citroen C2
98 = Daewoo Kalos
97 = Kia Rio
96 = Citroen Berlingo
95 = Alfa Romeo 147
93 = Land Rover Freelander
93 = Citroen C3
92 = MG ZR / Rover 25
90 = Citroen Xsara Picasso
90 = Fiat Punto
88 = Vauxhall Vectra
88 = Citroen Xsara
86 = Renault Megane
86 = Daewoo Matiz

Category Winners
Superminis - 1 = Honda Jazz, 2 = Toyota Yaris, 3 = Skoda Fabia
Small Cars - 1 = Suzuki Liana, 2 = Honda Civic, 3 = Toyota Corolla
Family Cars - 1 = Honda Accord, 2 = Skoda Octavia, 3 = Toyota Avensis
Executive Cars - 1 = Lexus IS, 2 = Jaguar S-Type, 3 = BMW 3 Series
Roadsters & Coupes - 1 = Toyota Celica, 2 = Mazda RX-8, 3 = Hyundai Coupe
MPVs - 1 = Hyundai Matrix, 2 = Nissan Almera Tino, 3 = Renault Scenic
4x4s - 1 = Kia Sorento, 1 = Subaru Forester, 3 = Honda CR-V

Top 10 Manufacturers
1 = Lexus
2 = Honda
3 = Skoda
4 = Toyota
5 = BMW
5 = MINI
7 = Jaguar
8 = Subaru
9 = Volvo
10 = Hyundai

Bottom 10 Manufacturers
30 = Citroen
29 = Land Rover
28 = Mitsubishi
25 = Fiat
25 = MG Rover
25 = Peugeot
24 = Alfa Romeo
23 = Daewoo
21 = Kia
21 = Seat

See less See more
#3 ·
rlxs said:
Hmm some of the results are a bit iffy, as with the AE Driver Power. Just look at the dealer service. It varies from above to below average depending on the car. Are 75 drivers being discriminated against?!
I guess it is all subjective and comes down to individuals expectations. Maybe a number of ex Lexus drivers have bought 75's, and are used to top notch service at Lexus dealers, and then experienced lower standards at an MG Rover dealer.

#6 ·
"The Rover 75 / MG ZT beat the BMW 5 Series, Jaguar X-Type, Vauxhall Signum, Saab 9-3 and Alfa Romeo 156.

Top 20 Models
1 = Lexus IS
2 = Honda Jazz
3 = Suzuki Liana
4 = Honda Accord
5 = Toyota Yaris
5 = Skoda Octavia
7 = Honda Civic
7 = Toyota Avensis
9 = Toyota Corolla
10 = Jaguar S-Type
11 = Skoda Fabia
11 = BMW 5 Series"

If 5 Series came 11th, how did the 75/ZT beat it?

Chris

#7 ·
Rovernut said:
"The Rover 75 / MG ZT beat the BMW 5 Series, Jaguar X-Type, Vauxhall Signum, Saab 9-3 and Alfa Romeo 156.

Top 20 Models
1 = Lexus IS
2 = Honda Jazz
3 = Suzuki Liana
4 = Honda Accord
5 = Toyota Yaris
5 = Skoda Octavia
7 = Honda Civic
7 = Toyota Avensis
9 = Toyota Corolla
10 = Jaguar S-Type
11 = Skoda Fabia
11 = BMW 5 Series"

Chris
I was gonna mention that, but looks like you beat me to it!

#8 ·
Thanks Ian, a useful summary. I tend not to buy car mags these days with no nice MGs or Rovers to get excited about.

I am surprised and sad to see Rover 75 only scoring average in the quality and appeal subjects.

Good, though, to see some Frenchies below our worst car. Useful info to throw at smug francophiles in their push-me-pull-yous and trendy ass shakers.

#10 ·
Rovernut said:

Chris

Cos it's a survey ..;) You can view the validity of the results in reverse order, or sideways. Also selectively using the experiences of those owners with cars that did not participate to give a well rounded equally false impression.

We asked a 1000 .... and they said ..... ;)

#11 ·
Rovernut said:

Top 20 Models
1 = Lexus IS
2 = Honda Jazz
3 = Suzuki Liana
4 = Honda Accord
5 = Toyota Yaris
5 = Skoda Octavia
7 = Honda Civic
7 = Toyota Avensis
9 = Toyota Corolla
10 = Jaguar S-Type
11 = Skoda Fabia
11 = BMW 5 Series"

Chris
Oops a typo crept into the original list - it should of course read 11 = BMW 3 Series. Now amended. The BMW 5 Series came 45th in the charts.

Thanks Chris for spotting that. Just trying to make sure you were all awake :)

#21 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
rover 25:

^ ahem....how on earth can this be right - it still looked snazzy on the outside and the interior was very sumptous on the facelift versions. the pre-facelift variants weren't that bad either
I would take all this with a pinch of salt. They are selling 200's/25's/ZR's in their droves still, and they are doing great on the used market. Supposedly even though all its points are below average.

#22 ·
Common sense dictates its a load of twaddle,
Average dealers for 25/ZR above average for 45/ZS and below average for 75/ZT

I find it hard to believe that the same dealers would have such variance in standards of servce.

Also what moron buys a car that doesn't appeal on inside or outside.. why buy it in the first place..?

#24 ·
As I have said before these kind of surveys are mostly filled in by people who have problems with their cars. They are disgruntled and so want to prove a point that their car is not good enough! Often Mr/Mrs/Miss "I am really pleased with my car" person can't be bothered to fill it in. Why bother?

#25 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
As I have said before these kind of surveys are mostly filled in by people who have problems with their cars. They are disgruntled and so want to prove a point that their car is not good enough! Often Mr/Mrs/Miss "I am really pleased with my car" person can't be bothered to fill it in. Why bother?
Yeah. I think the reason the S2000 has done well before is that its the sort of car people buy because they love it, not because its a practical family car, and being enthusiastic, they reply to the survey.

#26 ·
MGR_Petrolhead said:
Then why do all the Jap and Germans owners bother to fill them in? Your logic is incorrect.

What is far more important is that owners who bought in 2003 when MGR was still viable found the 25 unsatisfactory. There was a sudden sales collapse in 2004 of the 25 which effectively killed the company as until then it had sold very strongly. If owners of the most popular MGR product were disatisfied -and remember these were people who put their money were their mouth was and bought British and therefore were positive towards MGR- and felt hard done by, the bad vibes they must have sent out must have had an effect on potential buyers.

As for the 75 there was a car which with some continual investment would easily have been top 10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.