MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding the x-power Janspeed Backbox P/N: XPT000029ACA . It is the stainless steel single pipe 3" version. I will be fitting it to my ZS180 saloon with No other modifications, so:-

1. Is there any increase in bhp from this part alone.
2. Does it sound much different to the standard box under various conditions.
3. Do I need to inform my insurance company.

I dont expect any power gain, but hope the noise is not too intrusive at cruising speeds.

Any comments from people with this part fitted especially welcome.

Thanks

G

·
Have that fitted on mine. Pics in my gallery. Definitely improvement in sound over OE box. I noticed the difference straight away once fitted. I find it not too intrusive but as you step on the loud pedal then is quite noticeable in the soundtrack as the revs rise but bearable and not OTT. I have notified my insurance company regarding the box but regarding bhp I would assume maybe 1 or 2 bhp extra but not much. Is a must have over the OE box and really brings out the V6.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sky0000547 said:
Have that fitted on mine. Pics in my gallery. Definitely improvement in sound over OE box. I noticed the difference straight away once fitted. I find it not too intrusive but as you step on the loud pedal then is quite noticeable in the soundtrack as the revs rise but bearable and not OTT. I have notified my insurance company regarding the box but regarding bhp I would assume maybe 1 or 2 bhp extra but not much. Is a must have over the OE box and really brings out the V6.
Thanks for the info, exactly what I wanted to hear. Did your insurance company increase your premium at all?

·
Registered
11,387 Posts
kewe said:
x-power Janspeed Backbox P/N: XPT000029ACA .
Do you know that this backbox is made by Janspeed?

I know Janspeed used to make some of the XPower boxes but I suspect not this one...

G

·
kewe said:
Thanks for the info, exactly what I wanted to hear. Did your insurance company increase your premium at all?
My previous insurance did add some premium on my mods and that is not just the back box alone. Oh and if you remove the resonator pipe then hear the roar above 3k.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Windy said:
Do you know that this backbox is made by Janspeed?

I know Janspeed used to make some of the XPower boxes but I suspect not this one...
You may well be right, what made me think it was made by Janspeed?
Maybe I have read it somewhere else on this forum and maybe they did make the earlier versions, but I think Janspeed may have went into liquiditaion a year or so ago?

G

·
Mine is the Janspeed and has the brand etched on it. My ZS is a mk2 so the backbox will be longer to accommodate the extended rear bumper so they were definitely making them in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I have had a duplex X Power system delivered this week with Janspeed stamped all over it.The JS web site lists them at 399 iirc Not yet fitted mine as I have sent the bumper trim away to have a new matching pair made.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sky0000547 said:
My previous insurance did add some premium on my mods and that is not just the back box alone. Oh and if you remove the resonator pipe then hear the roar above 3k.
Is it easy to remove the resonator pipe and where is it on the 180?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The res pipe comes out the bottom of the air filter box. It's a doddle to remove, it'll take 60 seconds to do. Just reach down, grab hold of it give a little wiggle and it will drop out. It just fell off in my hand, honestly .Just quite how they don't drop out of there own accord is beyond me, there that well fitted.

Do'es give a good roar, almost like an open cone. :D

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
On a side note gents how much demand is there out there for a pair of handed rear bumper trims for duplexy peeps out there ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
zedster zs said:
The res pipe comes out the bottom of the air filter box. It's a doddle to remove, it'll take 60 seconds to do. Just reach down, grab hold of it give a little wiggle and it will drop out. It just fell off in my hand, honestly .Just quite how they don't drop out of there own accord is beyond me, there that well fitted.

Do'es give a good roar, almost like an open cone. :D
Hmm, I can only get my arm down the LHS of the airbox cos the battery and water hose on the left. I can see two pipes feeding into the bottom. The one on the right is a thin matal tube coming from the front of the engine and bends underneath the airbox. There is another pipe/coiled silver hose that comes from the bottom left side and seems to join onto the pipe underneath the airbox. Sorry not very techy, but which one is the resonator pipe?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Right then, just take out the air box. Two bolts at the top and the rubber hose to the throttle body. pull the air box out and the res pipe will drop off. It's a black plastic pipe with an offset in it.

G

·
zedster zs said:
Right then, just take out the air box. Two bolts at the top and the rubber hose to the throttle body. pull the air box out and the res pipe will drop off. It's a black plastic pipe with an offset in it.
You don't necessarily need to mess with the rubber hose to the throttle body, just undo the top two bolts and slightly lift the air box from its mount and remove the resonator pipe, the pipe is only slotted into the airbox.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sky0000547 said:
You don't necessarily need to mess with the rubber hose to the throttle body, just undo the top two bolts and slightly lift the air box from its mount and remove the resonator pipe, the pipe is only slotted into the airbox.
And is it easy to put the pipe back in if the induction noise is not to my taste?

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Yep, get rid of the standard induction and fit a decent alternative closed cool air induction kit. You will be amazed at the difference it makes...............

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zedster zs said:
Have'nt you done it yet.

Don't worry about putting it back, you'll love it.

Go on you know you wanna.
Done it, no I mean really done it!!!!

First, one of the bolts snapped when undoing the top two as mentioned. Then when I wiggled the airbox the only thing that fell out was the big black hose down the battery side which I still don't know if that is the right one?
If not I don't think I'll get it back in too easy :errx2:.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
zedster zs said:
If something fell out then that's it, i told you it was'nt fitted very well.

Have you driven it yet? do you like the roar.
OMG! It sounds absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for the backbox to arrive now!

Thanks Zedster and sky0000547 for the advice on the cheapest mod trick in town. I'm sure it's added another 30 BHP too:happy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts