MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is so much written about Jag, esp the future of the X-Type, whether it will be replaced or not. Well, they seem to be getting their act together. Halewood is virtually running at full production with the Freelander 2 (LR2 for some), meaning the majority of the cost of running the factory must surely be with LR now. That will improve Jaguar's costs. They cannot make enough XK's to meet demand (there must be a faily low ceiling on how many they can make a year). The XJ is going OK with a facelift now to improve things yet more. The new S-Type replacement (wow, what a car) due next year and now this....http://www.motortrader.com/24953/Jaguar-dealers-cash-in.ehtml
Even the dealers are smiling (must be the first time for a while). Chasing volume sounds good but so often it is done at the expense of profit, dealer margins and poor residual prices for the private buyer. BMW tried to ramp up MGR production but just kept losing more money. Fiat cut back on volume to improve profit and is benefitting now. Renault/Nissan sales are in freefall but it's the right way to go if the make more money in the long run. Jaguar looks like it's on the right track so well done to those who have worked so hard to help this wonderful marque.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The XF will be the real make or break car for the company, if its a hit, then Jaguar is safe and secure for years to come.

And, everything we've seen so far indicates that Jaguar has got it right this time around. As of right now, I can't see any reason why the XF won't be a total, unqualified success.

Its just a shame that its taking until spring 2008 to get it, if a car like the XF had been launched back in 1999, Jaguar never would have wound up in as bad a mess as they were in.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
The Omens are really good for Jaguar, especially with the utilisation of the Halewood plant for the Freelander 2.

In fact, the Freelander 2 may be so successful, that it elbows any new X-Type out of that plant, and back down to the Midlands :lol:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Here is an suggestion:

Jaguar have no SUV, but have an AWD Petrol X-Type built in the same plant as an AWD Freelander.

IF Jaguar were to drop the X-Type, why not use the Freelander as the X-Type/SUV replacement? Instant small SUV with Jaguar badge.

I actually like the X-Type. BUT, the diesel version need to be offered with AWD. Also, a cabrio version to tackle A4; 3-Series; 9-3 et al is needed.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Here is an suggestion:

Jaguar have no SUV, but have an AWD Petrol X-Type built in the same plant as an AWD Freelander.

IF Jaguar were to drop the X-Type, why not use the Freelander as the X-Type/SUV replacement? Instant small SUV with Jaguar badge.

I actually like the X-Type. BUT, the diesel version need to be offered with AWD. Also, a cabrio version to tackle A4; 3-Series; 9-3 et al is needed.
I totally agree, a lot of people think that is just jumping on the band wagon, it is but it is a sector Jag is missing and I think it would be very sucessful. However we have to bear in mind Jaguar is part of PAG and therefore the parent company already have this are covered with the Volvo XC 90. But Ford should consider adding a jacked up X type to the range, as you rightly say the have most of the ingredience under one roof, it may take some sales from Volvo but it will also take a lot of sales from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche etc, go on Jag make it!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chasing volume sounds good but so often it is done at the expense of profit, dealer margins and poor residual prices for the private buyer.
Excuse me for quoting myself but did you realise that many in the media are talking up Jag's sales fall as a sign of 'truble at mill' when in fact, they are walking away from unprofitableness. Everything is statring to go right for them but the media isn't focusing on that. BMW is chasing volume in the USA so hard, it's average 'cash back' per car is USD4,000. They are going down the wrong track and is starting to affect their bottom line (boy that cuts me up :petevick: )
As for Jag going with some sort of crossover vehicle, they should have done it years ago but I'm sure they don't have any intentions that way. Going upmarket in the car side of things is their focus IMO. I think they should have one in the range though.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
I think Jaguar have been listening too much to traditionalists and not listening to market trends. Yes an SUV probably isn't very Jaguar like, but who would have thought that Volvo would do an SUV, or Subaru, or Saab?

There are signs that things are changing, and they are looking to the future, rather than looking in the rear view mirror.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Well, alledgedly the SUV coupe is the 'next big thing'...

BMW will be entering the crossover SUV market with their new X6, (X6 name is just a rumour) but expect 4 doors and because it's going to have a coupe-like roofline it'll be regarded as a crossover coupe-SUV.

Then there's the Audi Cross Coupe Quattro concept, GM/Opels Antara GTC (Gran Turismo Crossover) Coupe-SUV concept, the the 2008 Infiniti EX crossover SUV is a real car, and (more importantly) Land Rover is seriously considering putting its Range Stormer concept into production (about time too).

So the list is getting longer. Jaguar should be on it, if there's a niche that Jaguar should exploit this is it. It should be a no-brainer for them to stick the Jag badge on a crossover coupe-SUV.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts

BMW will be entering the crossover SUV market with their new X6, (X6 name is just a rumour) but expect 4 doors and because it's going to have a coupe-like roofline it'll be regarded as a crossover coupe-SUV.

Then there's the Audi Cross Coupe Quattro concept, GM/Opels Antara GTC (Gran Turismo Crossover) Coupe-SUV concept, the the 2008 Infiniti EX crossover SUV is a real car, and (more importantly) Land Rover is seriously considering putting its Range Stormer concept into production (about time too).

So the list is getting longer. Jaguar should be on it, if there's a niche that Jaguar should exploit this is it. It should be a no-brainer for them to stick the Jag badge on a crossover coupe-SUV.

Um judging by the X3 and X5 I bet the X6 will be gorgeous! Lol, well Picasso's are regarded by some as beautiful works of art, I personally think they are badly build, cheap French people carriers. Each to their own!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't forget the Qashqai. Nissan Sunderland is pinning much on the semi-crossover. If there isn't a market there, then that's a huge gamble. But it isn't, as that is a growing area, even at the top end. Jag should be there...now!!! Are you listening Jaguar?

·
Registered
994 Posts
BMW is chasing volume in the USA so hard, it's average 'cash back' per car is USD4,000. They are going down the wrong track and is starting to affect their bottom line (boy that cuts me up :petevick: )
BMW's halo is slipping fast. The 7-series has the worst residuals in the sector, and there have been numerous reports of large discounts against the E90 3-series. Much of this is due to the focus on volume rather than profit/residuals. The large discounts are helping sales at the moment but they'll come back and bite in a few years time when the residuals slip and leasing rates increase.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I have been seeing shed loads of the new 3-series and 3-series coupe on the way to work, suddenly from nothing to lots, clearly some series discounts on offer!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been seeing shed loads of the new 3-series and 3-series coupe on the way to work, suddenly from nothing to lots, clearly some series discounts on offer!
When I see someone in a new BMW, for some reason I think of the saying 'A fool and his money soon part'. I guess it's because I think you could buy other similar cars for half the price that do just about as much. I also think Jags offer better value for money too.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Funnily enough, I got a letter from my local BMW dealer today, offering the following contributions, which emphasised strongly that these contributions are in addition to any other discount offered.

1 Series Range - £1000
3 Series Saloon & Touring - £1250
5 Series Saloon & Touring - £1500
X3 - £1500
Z4 Roadster & Coupe (Excluding M) - £1500

·
Registered
mg_zt
1,505 Posts
Funnily enough, I got a letter from my local BMW dealer today, offering the following contributions, which emphasised strongly that these contributions are in addition to any other discount offered.

1 Series Range - £1000
3 Series Saloon & Touring - £1250
5 Series Saloon & Touring - £1500
X3 - £1500
Z4 Roadster & Coupe (Excluding M) - £1500
My mate was offered £4000 discount on a 320i. Turned it down though and kept his ZT - after driving it he said it was dull

1 - 16 of 16 Posts