MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jag considering axing the X

The X-Type is Jaguar's best selling vehicle, but it is probably the least loved Jag of the bunch. As the people in charge try to figure out the way forward for Ford's ailing premium brand, getting rid of the X-Type could be part of the remedy.

Mulally has told the public as well as Jaguar workers that the leaping cat will not be sold. He also said that he envisions Jaguar as Ford's low-volume high-profit marque. Frankly, the X-Type doesn't fit anywhere into such an equation. While the X-Type has broadened Jaguar's customer base, it diluted the brand, wasn't as reliable as it should have been, and didn't meet its sales targets. That's three strikes, so it might be out. According to David Blackhall, Managing Director Jaguar Australia, "The plan in relation to the X-Type is not resolved. There are a number of studies underway in the UK, and a number of alternatives are being considered – including doing nothing at all." He goes on to add that he's fine with no new X-Type... as long as there's an XF (a production version of the C-XF) to replace it.

And gunning for the quote of the month, Blackhall says of the XF, "It has to be a success. [It] has to be a home run. This is Jaguar's money-shot for the next five years." Doling out some specifics on the car, Blackhall says the NY Auto Show car will be very close to the production version, with only minor changes needed to make it practical. We have one thing to say to the X-Type then: Goodbye. Jaguar, bring on the XF already.
SOURCE: Drive

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
I like the X-Type but it certainly looks set for the chop and I don't think that's a bad thing. Jag do need an entry level model below the XF but I think a RWD C30-esque hatch/coupe and a roadster would be much better. PLEEEEEASE :D

·
Registered
989 Posts
I doubt there would be a replacement as the X-Type brought Jaguar's image down badly. Also with the Volvo S60 expected to be replaced in a year or two there wouldn't be a point would there?

·
Registered
387 Posts
According to the latest issue of Jaguar World Monthly, it is expected that a revised X-Type will be unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show in October, and go on sale in the Spring of 2008.

Interior and exterior updates and 'new' versions of the saloon and estate.

It is believed that the 2.2D will be available with a six-speed auto box (but not 2.0D). Unsure about a six-speed auto for the petrol V6s.

Since 2001, over 300,000 have rolled off Jaguar's award-winning Halewood production line.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the facelifted X-Type. If there was a car is desperate need of one, the X-Type is it.

The proudction figure is quite impressive especially compared to those of the 75.

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I don't think Jaguar can compete globally if they haven't got a BMW 3 Series competitor.

·
Registered
other_rover
8,737 Posts
Personally, I don't think Jaguar can compete globally if they haven't got a BMW 3 Series competitor.
Compete with who? Ultimately it may be worthwhile withdrawing from the X type market and concentrating on more expensive luxury cars. Building an F type to go head to head with Porsche or an SUV may be much more logical at this moment in time. Let Jaguar rebuild whilst Porsche start making Golfs. Let Jag rebuild the brand and then go out and hurt everyone else who has damaged their own brand.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Good riddance!!!

Jag shouldn't have entry models, estates or re-hashed mondeos, thats volvo's job... what they need desperately is a boxster rival (f-type!!!)

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
The biggest problem with the X-Type is, you hear "X Type" and you don't think "3.0 V6, 4WD, BMW beater", you think "2.0 diesel FWD estate Volvo clone". So it's in the marketing where it has failed, not in the product itself.

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
The biggest problem with the X-Type is, you hear "X Type" and you don't think "3.0 V6, 4WD, BMW beater", you think "2.0 diesel FWD estate Volvo clone". So it's in the marketing where it has failed, not in the product itself.
I wouldn't say that immediately springs to mind but you have certainly highlighted a big problem with the X-Type. Up until the car's launch, Jaguars were large RWD saloons with petrol V6s, V8s etc or stunning sports cars. Then came along the X-Type and in one leap managed to dilute the brand more than any car ever before. Before we knew it, it was possible to buy a FWD 2.0 4-pot diesel estate with a manual gearbox, cloth seats and wheel trims. It may have been badged as Jaguar but it assn't a Jag in the truest sense.

Another big problem was the lack of the X-Type R. If any model in the range needed the aspirational Halo model, the X-Type was it. A 3 litre Sport is not a slow car but looks the same as any X-Type and isn't a strong enough range-topper.

I'm a fan on the X-Type and have been nothing but impressed by the car in my experience of it but it was a step too far that hasn't been for the better in the respects it should've been.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
too many people got hung up on ford underpinnings, they should shorten the XJ platform and use that as a base for any replacement, and it should be an all aluminium contruction.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I wouldn't say that immediately springs to mind but you have certainly highlighted a big problem with the X-Type. Up until the car's launch, Jaguars were large RWD saloons with petrol V6s, V8s etc or stunning sports cars. Then came along the X-Type and in one leap managed to dilute the brand more than any car ever before. Before we knew it, it was possible to buy a FWD 2.0 4-pot diesel estate with a manual gearbox, cloth seats and wheel trims. It may have been badged as Jaguar but it assn't a Jag in the truest sense.

Another big problem was the lack of the X-Type R. If any model in the range needed the aspirational Halo model, the X-Type was it. A 3 litre Sport is not a slow car but looks the same as any X-Type and isn't a strong enough range-topper.

I'm a fan on the X-Type and have been nothing but impressed by the car in my experience of it but it was a step too far that hasn't been for the better in the respects it should've been.
In a way you could say the same for the Mk1 200 did for Rover. But personally, I love the SD3!

·
Registered
35,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Totally agree about the need to produce an F-Type before they produce an X-Type replacement.

To be honest, Jaguar have the right recipe, in that they are pursuing high value profitable sales, rather than chasing sales volumes.

They need to make sure that they launch the XF in the best way that they can. Its only 4 months now, until production XF's are unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show ;)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Agree 100%. If the X-type devalues Jag ,how the hell do the Bavarians get away with such delights as the A2 ,the A class and the hideous and overpriced bizarre '1' series.

If I want a 3 series sized car why should I have to buy ,well , a 3 series. I want a British option.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I dont agree i think Jaguar should stick with the X type, the only thing wrong with the current one is its conservative stying, if they brought a new one out with much more adventurous styling like the XF would people be complianing as much then.

Large cars are only going to get hammered more and more in the future from an enviromental viewpoint, so jag need a smaller vehicle in my view, and even with the X type they are hardly going into BMW 1 series territory, so i dont think its devaluing the brand that much certainly not to degree BMW and Merc have devalued their brand in recent years

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Large cars are only going to get hammered more and more in the future from an enviromental viewpoint, so jag need a smaller vehicle in my view, and even with the X type they are hardly going into BMW 1 series territory, so i dont think its devaluing the brand that much certainly not to degree BMW and Merc have devalued their brand in recent years
Definately. Now I love big engined petrols ,but V8 and V12 petrols are dead, they're finished.

Smaller performance diesels are the way to go ,Jag should be thinking 330d ,and compete with that. Rightly or wrongly the 1000-2000 a year road tax etc is coming. Jaguar HAVE to get their emissions down to survive.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Definately. Now I love big engined petrols but they are dead, they're finished.
Porsche must have real trouble shifting their cars then! The XK must be in real trouble as well.... must be why they're working on a new 5.0 V8!

Fwiw, the future ain't diesel, this is http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=192511

Most of the cars they sell are in the US anyway, somehow i doubt the 330d is a big hit over there. As for tax- how long before they start taxes based on particulates and other crap instead of just CO2.... not long i bet!

I'm not saying there shouldn't be diesel jags but mass market euroboxes isn't what jags about and ford by the looks of it have realised. They don't need to sell a million cars a year.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Porsche must have real trouble shifting their cars then! The XK must be in real trouble as well.... must be why they're working on a new 5.0 V8!

Fwiw, the future ain't diesel, this is http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=192511

Most of the cars they sell are in the US anyway, somehow i doubt the 330d is a big hit over there. As for tax- how long before they start taxes based on particulates and other crap instead of just CO2.... not long i bet!

I'm not saying there shouldn't be diesel jags but mass market euroboxes isn't what jags about and ford by the looks of it have realised. They don't need to sell a million cars a year.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I just want Jag to ofer an option for British drivers ,instead of the roads being clogged up with 3's ,A4's and other such alien tin.

I'd personally love a V8 Disco or a ZT260 ,but I fear this government will never let me have one!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts