MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im very much considering this 300bhp coversion for the end of next year... as may of you will no my engine (190bhp) needs rebuilding soon. I will be comming into some money next year so...... I may put this engine in FOO or rebuild FOO and sell her and buy an elise and put the engine in that! Im not sure if the F could handle 300bhp :lol: im looking at shelling out a lot of money for this so i need to get it right so maybe the lotus is the better option?!

http://www.bbrgti.com/RoverK300T.php

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its going to cost a LOT of money but i will be ready to do it by xmas 2006. I think i have no choice but to change to a lotus:eek:uch:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
lotus would be the more tunable option imo with regards to the chassis. However that engine is going to last all of 10 mins. Get a lotus with the honda engine if you have that sorta cash

·
Registered
191 Posts
That conversion is for the MGF and as a result all works to upgrade areas of the MGF to run such power are made at the time of works. I dont see why you have to change to a lotus :S

G

·
lam7r said:
That conversion is for the MGF and as a result all works to upgrade areas of the MGF to run such power are made at the time of works. I dont see why you have to change to a lotus :S
thats what i thought ^^^

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
lam7r said:
where do you pull that from>?

·
Registered
191 Posts
AndyBrad said:
where do you pull that from>?
The companies website. The conversion is not just for the engine its for the MGF. The company would advise any chassis mods if it was needed as they would do the conversion if not safe to do so. Read the other options as they state that they have daily road use as a priority in the conversions so IMO if would be fine to go ahead on the MGF.

The company have done lots of Renault 5 GTs and pushed power on those very very high and they were used as day to day cars for people so i assume know and would advise of problems beforehand and would be much better palced than us sat here guessing as to whether or not the chassis could take it

Just MO

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Yep, that's the big concern for me (and the price which i feel is extortionate). I am also very worried by the fact that i have yet to hear of a car being done, and these options have been around for a very long time (i seem to recall first stumbling across them in 1999, might be wrong here - it was a while ago).

There was a BBR GTi turbo'd F in MG World a while back, but it wasn't the 300bhp kit. The article was pretty positive if i remember correctly - the owner certainly seemed to love it.

There is also an Australian company who do a turbo conversion, in this case the hot stuff sits under the car (further along the exhaust system) and thus overcomes the heat problem, i can't remember what the output of this conversion was, but i remember thinking that this was a very good (if slightly vulnerable) way of getting round the heat issues.

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
N1CK said:
and it wouldnt spoil the dynamics of the F?
yes, but if both are gonna be altered, why sell your car to buy an elise?? u already have a car to do the conversion with, just seems a lot of hassle. i get the feeling u just want to change to an elise...which is fine by me if u want, in all honesty i reckon i would prefer an elise over a tf.
so if obth cars can handle it then are u just undecided about the aesthetics??

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I strive to be different, I just want something nutty ive been looking at turbo technics superchargers this morning.... tbh i want well over 200bhp in either, I love FOO to death but i cant help feeling im missing out on the elise i mean lets face it... its gonna handle better than the f/tf.

Your right i do have a good base car to start on allready so no doubt i will do the conversion on FOO i just dont want to do it and then think i want a lotus.

Ive decided im going to build an engine, then decide which car i want it in:hyper:

·
Registered
42,093 Posts
i understand completely. but the reason the elise handles so much better is because it was designed as a package. the whole car was built with handling in mind. u go and beef up the engine and the balance, COG, handling and everything else will be all messed up.
i think u will have a better car if u do get an elise to use but u love FOO so there must be something more to your thoughts than just what u have said so far.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes :lol: there is i just dont want FOO to lose her MTB's its whats she's known for I just need more power, 190bhp just isnt enough you get used to it after a few months of driving and then want more!!!!!

could you point me in the direction of the type r conversion? any websites ect?

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Mike Satur is doing the iVTEC conversions, not sure if there is anything on his website yet, but it's worth checking out anyway. >> http://www.mikesatur.co.uk <<

The beauty of his conversion is you get the power on a much lower tuned engine (therefore a lot more reliable) and also you get a close ratio 6 speed gearbox too :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts