MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Thought I would share a small tale with you chaps on what happened to me a couple of nights ago......

It all began when after I had finished my dinner and was looking out my flat window at my new MG sitting there glinting in the sunlight when suddenly horror came over me.....there was a puddle of liquid at the front of the car....NO! It looked as if my radiator had burst! Grabbing my keys and running down stairs as fast as my legs would take me I reached the car and immediately dropped to my knees to investigate under the car....I opened the bonnet to have a look at the radiator and try to figure out where the leak was coming from...was it a hose, was it hole in the radiator it'self? Worried that I was going to have to shell out for a new one (Temporarily forgot the warranty would probably cover this) i panicked. I put my hand the liquid at the bottom and smelled it, to see if it smelt like coolant I suppose, and decided yes that is definitely coolant because it smells like a strange water.....

So rightly or wrongly I turned the car on...my thinking behind this was to heat the engine up therefore heating the coolant up and in turn the pressure would go up in the coolant system. My hope was that it would pressurize and spray the coolant out of the leaking area. After 5 mins it wasn't spraying so moved the car to better light to see if I could spot anything different....nothing!

After much headscratching I had another look underneath the car to see if I Could see anything there....thats when it hit me...there was water on an area where it couldn't have been if it came from the car....again horror came across me! It wasn't coolant that I had placed my hands in and been smelling!!!! It was Rocky the Dogs P** from my neighbour downstairs! Realising this I ran back upstairs to wash my hands (and parts of the car afterwards).

So let this be a lesson to you all.......Please wear gloves! :doh:

·
Registered
31,181 Posts
:rofl: Thats made my afternoon.... how funny!!!!
Haha. Similar thign happened ot em once, I had a drip underneath car. It looked like water and smelled like water, and was dripping from arounf pipes under car. I was intrigued cos clearly the cooalnt was pink, not actually water.

IN the end, being silly, I tasted it !!!. I then knew it wasnt water!!! I had a moisture trap with calcium carbonate crystals to trap moisture in the cabin to preven steamy windows. Itd had got full of water and tipped up, behind my seat. Somehow the liquid foundits way outside to sripo under the car.

Just as well it wasnt liquid arsenic or indeed dog Pee!! :lol:

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
Excellent! :lol:

Reminds me of a similar story of mine.. :)

Got home from work, parked the car on the drive and proceeded to clean it.. Anyway that fun had finished and I went out with a friend upon returning, there was a puddle of what looked like oil under the car!! Though it seemed to be under the front of the car, and my father kindly pointed out the engine was in the back, clever old stick he is! :wtf:

Anyway after checking all the levels were alright, upon looking as best I could through the wheel arch, I could see oil dripping from a pipe.. By this time I was more than a bit moffed / worried!

Anyway reach in the front to get the jack out to investigate, and the spare bottle of oil I keep on the VIN plate panel, had kindly leaked and filled the panel with oil, and of course leaked down..

Anything as silly as that happened to anyone else?? :lol:

..to be honest it's lucky it wasn't coolant that had leaked, or that would of almost seemed believable being at the front, luckily that bottle hadn't broken!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant Loaky.....I'm glad I'm not the only one! You really couldn't make this stuff up sometimes....

It's an interestnig life owning a car!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I once noticed a puddle underneath the first car that I owned that had air con, so took it to the garage to have the "leak" investigated. Turned out that it was just condensate and perfectly normal.

Nigel

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My mate Dave, new Renault, sunny day.

He gets back to the car park to find a pool of oily water under his new ride.

He waits for the very nice man to turn up from the AA.

Very nice man looks at the puddle and says "have you just got the car sir?" My mate Dave replies in the afirmative. "Been usnig the Air Con have we sir?" Again Dave says he has. "Ever owned a car with Air Con before sir?" Dave replies in the negative and then gets a lesson in condensation dripping off air con parts on hot days.

The oily waer?.Condensation mixed with a couple of smudges of diesel or whatever on the car park tarmac.

Dave thanks very nice man....and sheepishly drives off as the sight of the big yellow truck flashing lights and mechanic had attracted a crowd of "helpful" onlookers tutting about bad build quality on French cars and the fact he'd have been better off with a Ford/Vauxhall or whatever.

All the best

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts