MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again,
i recently got the head gasket and water pump replaced on my 1992 216gsi,
i was heading down the motorway and the car just cut out, and the oil pressure light came on,
anyway after calling out the recovery dudes the got it going and there was a thunderous clunking going on, and he said it was a big end bearing,
im in two minds wether to carry out the work on the engine or to source a new one.

any ideas?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
If it is a big end bearing then it's just not worth repairing an engine of that age. It would be easier and cheaper to source another.

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Dr Dave said:
A 1992 car - is it worth repairing? That's what you've got to ask yourself.
I wouldn't.
However I'm a bit confused as to how a big end bearing would make the car cut out and the oil pressure light illuminate?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
sparkey321 said:
hello again,
i recently got the head gasket and water pump replaced on my 1992 216gsi,
i was heading down the motorway and the car just cut out, and the oil pressure light came on,
anyway after calling out the recovery dudes the got it going and there was a thunderous clunking going on, and he said it was a big end bearing,
im in two minds wether to carry out the work on the engine or to source a new one.

any ideas?
Has your belt slipped, and is it the valves making a racket?

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
ashy said:
I wouldn't.
However I'm a bit confused as to how a big end bearing would make the car cut out and the oil pressure light illuminate?
crank sensor....

big end bearing don't just suddenly go for no reason, was it low on oil???

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Seems to me oil was low causing the bearing to overheat.
I still don't understand the cut out. As for the crank sensor, the crank would still turn with a duff bearing wouldn't it unless it had seized? The engine could run on 3 pots albeit badly.

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
if the big end bearings have buggered up completely which they have by the sounds of it then the movement in the crank will fark up the readings from the sensor :)

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
Si said:
if the big end bearings have buggered up completely which they have by the sounds of it then the movement in the crank will fark up the readings from the sensor :)
Are we talking about the big end bearings here or the main bearings? As far as I know the crank is held in place by the main bearings not the big end bearings.:confused:
The big end bearings connect the conrod to the crank journal. A knackered big end bearing would just knock against the journal and eventually damage the crank. I don't think it would throw the crank out unless the main bearings were shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts